Make-Up & Beauty (sub. changed)

HeatherNicoleHeatherNicole Posts: 1,316Registered Users
Okay, I know we have a make up forum, but I figured I'd get answers I want from the people I need to answer here.

I want a red lipstick. I wear nude gloss all the time. I've never even owned lipstick that I paid for, but there's instant class and sophistication with a great red lipstick done well.

I've looked up how to choose red lipstick from multiple sites, however they never really address ethnic skintones darker than Beyonce or Halle Berry.

So I'm asking you ladies if you have any advice or know of a great shade.

EDTA: I changed this subject to encompass all make up and beauty needs now for ALL our lovely shades of brown skin. Post any beauty related comments or questions.
Thick coarse 3c/4a prone to dryness.
Staples
Aphogee 2 Step treatment
Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm
Tigi MM Conditioner
Creme of Nature Shampoo for dry hair
KCCC
Denman D3
Giovanni Direct Leave-in
SheaMoisture Leave-in
http://public.fotki.com/MsHeatherNicole/

"Make it work!"- Tim Gunn

Comments

• foxycus02foxycus02 Posts: 918Registered Users
    Ohh man Im in class right now. But Benefit has a GREAT lip pencil and you use that to shape and color your lips. Its has a nice smooth texture so it glides on easily, lasts a long time, and I get great compliments everytime I wear it. When I get home Ill get you the shade name so you can try. This was the only red I felt comfortable wearing on these pot coolers of mine.

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...

comic-p.jpg
  • motherearthamothereartha Posts: 355Registered Users
    ok, i haven't worn lipstick in some years but i have tubes and tubes left from when i was infatuated. i probably should throw them away or take them to mac and get my free tube of lipgloss :laughing9: i think i remember mac viva glam I & III being pretty good. also i like avon perfect wear every glaze in silent red which is super drying like viva glam. my way of toning them down is to put a very sheer not so shiny gloss in gold/bronze over the lipstick otherwise it looks harsh on me (imo). i still think i look older with red lipstick or lots of makeup in general. i put pics of the avon in my henna rollerset folder. i have no makeup on besides the lipstick and with such a bold color, i believe i NEED some type of translucent powder to reduce shine and even me out.

since we're on makeup, what do you all like for mascara. i'm very interested in trying ysl volume effect faux cils. i've tried benefit bad gal, christian dior show. they were both pretty good. and i don't really do well with any drug store brands. so any good mascara recommendations for those with thinner lashes would be great too :bounce:
    thick, kinky, nappy, hair w/ dashes of curls
    pw: bearhair
  • HeatherNicoleHeatherNicole Posts: 1,316Registered Users
    Okay awesome thank foxycus. Apparently, according to many of my male friends and my brother, I have "white girl lips" so I'm not really worried about them looking huge lol. I think I saw you wearing it in one of your pics in your album. It looked really pretty. According to what I've been reading, those with darker skin and golden undertones need to wear a more brown based red and ofcourse blue base is supposed to be universally flattering. I just need help on knowing which one. I think I did try on the Viva Glam I and didn't like it. I thought it was too bright, but there wasn't another red lip stick that MAC offered that I liked I don't think.

This is tough!

Mothereartha I love Lancome Hypnose. Soooooo great. I've had for over a year and it's still not out, but I never wear make up and I'm afraid of contamination of some sort so I went ahead and just bought some more mascara. I bought Max Factor Volume Couture and I like it alot. Since you have no problem forking out the dough, I'm gonna suggest the Lancome Hypnose. However I've also heard mad reviews for Dior Dior show.
    Just go sample some. Most counter have disposable wands. They let me sample mine at Lancome.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in

I looooove YSL mascara! its expensive but it actually conditions your lashes and I feel like my natural lashes are thicker. Ive used the badgal, diorshow, and givenchy eyefly. I think the YSL beats them out of the water because it gives you length, volume, and condition your lashes.
    YSL makeup is really good in general. If only their powders and stuff had darker shades.
    Mothereartha on the subject of eyes they have the ombres vibration duo in 3 which is the PERFECT neutral combo for the eyes. These are my YSL HG's lol:
    Blush Variation in 4
    Golden Gloss in 2
    Touche eclat (for under eye circles)
    Matt and Radiant Pressed Pwdr (although I barely made the shade..they need darker shades gggrr!)
    And my fave the volume effect faux cils

comic-p.jpg
    Heather my friend uses a great red mac shade that is a bit more brown based. Although I find ALL mac lipsticks to be super drying. Once I'm done stalking her I will give you the name lol.
    Yes I do have a pic w red lipstick on my myspace though in the Vegas Album.

comic-p.jpg
    i'll be adding the ysl to my xmas list :laughing9:. maybe someone will buy it for me!
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Blue-based red lipsticks are NOT universally flattering and are not recommended for women w/ gold/yellow undertones.

I think you should take a trip to the MAC counter, ask for the tissues and disinfectant spray, and start sampling! :happy2:

OKay thanks foxy. And I never wear any lip product without putting on balm first.

Spiderlashes- Umm...I'm just telling you what I've read. Blue based is supposed to be universally flattering b/c they're the shades that make your teeth look the whitest. I'm sure you are right b/c most things that are considered "universal" don't really take ethnic skintones into account.

And I have played around at MAC and I wasn't impressed with their red selection. Which upsets me cause they're usually my first to go to. I'm thinking of trying Dior. I've already volunteered my friend's help in this quest. I'm actually kind of nervous. I mean you've got to be a brave woman to rock some red unless that's all you've worn all your life.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in

So my friend said she thinks the shade name is Chili...but she also said Mac was just on the news. Their lipsticks tested positive for lead.

PS-even with a balm underneath, I thought MAC lipsticks were uber drying.

comic-p.jpg
  • zhairzhair Posts: 5Registered Users
    Look at this lipstick color:

Rihanna.jpg

It's gorgeous. I would love to have that shade....I wonder what it is?
    3C in the back and crown, 4A on the sides and in front. Chopped my below shoulder length, curly hair last year and now I'm growing it back. We'll see how it goes...
    That is a gorgeous shade zhair thanks for sharing. I'm glad to see her lips a little glossy too. Most red lips Ive seen done with semi matte to just plain matte and I don't know if I could do that. I need some sort of sheen.

foxycus- OMG Lead?! What kinda **** is that?! Did MAC release a response yet? Definitely not rocking them on my lips now. Thanks for the heads up.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in

omgosh on the lead! :evil2: i have a ridiculous amount of mac lipsticks even though i don't really use them. [side bar fresh moraccan is a fab brick brown red that's somewhat sparkly but like most mac reds dry]...i want my money back; i have given them way too much of my money for me not to be able to use them.

ok foxycus and heathernicole,

another topic: do either of you wear concealer? since i've completed my 3rd decade of life my dark circles don't really fade with rest. :happy8: and i have tried many concealers: one by bobbi brown, a liquid one by mac, and clarins eye brightener. in my bathroom light it looks fabulous but once i get outside or see pictures of myself there's this white cast under my eye where i applied concealer. :ncool: you all appear to be younger but if you use concealer any tips on brand, type, or shades. the mac girl, sephora girl, and bobbi brown sales associates all helped me select the colors but i hate how it looks in pictures. i don't wear foundation. i don't know if that's a problem regarding the effectiveness. i just want to cover the dark circles. also i use eye cream religiously...well almost :toothy7: TIA
    Here's what I know about concealer. 1. It should be applied over your foundation 2. It should I think only be 1 or 2 shades lighter than your skin tone.

I wear MAC studio tech right now, and I've got a little darkening in the under eye area. (What eye cream are you using because I'm about to start using some) Since I used to be a Bare Escentuals girl, I had 2 foundations, dark and deep. I used dark as my concealer, and I still actually do that, over the MAC and it works fine. Now here's my advice. Since I don't have much experience I can't really tell you what's a good concealer brand.

1. Go online and do some research. I love makeup alley's products reviews and I don't buy anything without checking there first now. Just look up specifically concealers. Bobbi Brown definitely sounds like a great start.

2. Always test products in the store then go outside in the natural light with your mirror to see if it looks natural or not.

3. Get a good concealer brush.

4. Consider adding a tinted moisturizer to your makeup routine. You can actually probably make your own tinted moisturizer if you can't find one in the color you need. This should definitely help with the raccoon eye problem you've been having. And make your face appear more uniform. A light foundation would also be okay.

You're looking great at 30. I'd have thought you were 25. As Star Jones pointed out, "Black don't crack!" lol.

HTH
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in

thanks hn! :wink: girl, aren't we lucky that black don't crack!

i guess i'm going to have become a foundation or tinted moisturizer girl. i just don't like to 'look' like i have on makeup. i only like sheer loose powders b/c a sister sweats on her nose like her mama :lol: . i did have a bobbi brown tinted moisturizer many moons ago but i just don't want makeup rubbing off on clothes or anything. i'll check out makeupalley to start.

eyecreme...lancome makes an expensive fabulous one. i bought it once and then tried to seek samples to no avail. artistry makes a nice one as well. and i'm using samples from arbonne right now. so far so good. i think i will buy after the samples run out.
    omgosh on the lead! :evil2: i have a ridiculous amount of mac lipsticks even though i don't really use them. [side bar fresh moraccan is a fab brick brown red that's somewhat sparkly but like most mac reds dry]...i want my money back; i have given them way too much of my money for me not to be able to use them.

ok foxycus and heathernicole,

another topic: do either of you wear concealer? since i've reached my 3rd decade of life my dark circles don't really fade with rest. :happy8: and i have tried many concealers: one by bobbi brown, a liquid one by mac, and clarins eye brightener. in my bathroom light it looks fabulous but once i get outside or see pictures of myself there's this white cast under my eye where i applied concealer. :ncool: you all appear to be younger but if you use concealer any tips on brand, type, or shades. the mac girl, sephora girl, and bobbi brown sales associates all helped me select the colors but i hate how it looks in pictures. i don't wear foundation. i don't know if that's a problem regarding the effectiveness. i just want to cover the dark circles. also i use eye cream religiously...well almost :toothy7: TIA

Girl, I work full time (demanding job) and am pursuing my MBA part-time undereye dark circles haunt me. I use my concealer under makeup. I dont wear foundation everyday only I go out. So what I do is I use YSL touche eclat under my eyes and use a translucent powder over the rest of my face. I have combo skin and this helps with the oily parts. And I believe it sets the concealer.

One trick u can do is use foundation as a concealer. That's what I used to do before I found touche eclat. So one thing u can do is dab it light under your eyes after you moisturize and keep it moving. You dont have to commit to makeup. I wake up too early cant do it.

comic-p.jpg
    PS - I love makeup alley as well and will not buy anything without looking at the reviews on there. Thank god for phones with internet!

comic-p.jpg
  • curlicurli Posts: 857Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Okay, I know we have a make up forum, but I figured I'd get answers I want from the people I need to answer here.

I want a red lipstick. I wear nude gloss all the time. I've never even owned lipstick that I paid for, but there's instant class and sophistication with a great red lipstick done well.

I've looked up how to choose red lipstick from multiple sites, however they never really address ethnic skintones darker than Beyonce or Halle Berry.

So I'm asking you ladies if you have any advice or know of a great shade.

EDTA: I changed this subject to encompass all make up and beauty needs now for ALL our lovely shades of brown skin. Post any beauty related comments or questions.

HN: I really like Ruby Woo & Russian Red from MAC. I own both of them I use them in different ways. But, I haven't used either of them since my BC (I don't like how they look with short hair). I can't wait till my hair grows back so I can use it & throw on a crisp white shirt.. :love1: Have you found any good colors yet? What I did notice is you do have to go to the counter & try on. I do like Cargo & Iman cosmetics too. OOhhh.. Iman's colors are great for darker shades.. I'm a makeup pj.. :drunken:
    foxycus,
    i did see great reviews on the ysl touche eclat as well. i was wary of it though b/c i though it only came in 4 shades and just one for dark skin. i may have to go to the mall and check it out when i check out the mascara. how do you like b-school? i've been contemplating it for the past 10 years of my life :cheese: . i just don't want to take the gmat or should i say study for the gmat or write the ding dang essays. i don't think it's where my interest really lies but i know it could help me professionally and resume-wise.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Motherearther, slight guano but your henna photos are looking fab.

Makeup-wise I am quite challenged. If I go into Sephora I may as well hand the money over and walk out, I have no talent for choosing anything that works for me. I have thrown away more lipsticks and eye stuff than I can remember.

The only thing that helps is to have a makeup artist choose my palette and show me how to apply it; she'll do one side, I do the other. I can't have loose stuff around that I have to choose because that is potential clown face. So I use a Trish McEvoy planner that holds one "face" in a clear "page." I let the experts choose the colors. I have a slightly dark eye/neutral lip "face" for day with coppery colors (see photo). I want to go back and get a red lip face which means a slightly different palette.

I use a honey tinted moisturizer, creme blush and a little contour, but no concealer. I don't need it. At this age (fifties) my skin needs color, color, color. Every thing gets washed out the older you get. Also I put on eye makeup first (just doing what they tell me).

My eyebrows weren't trimmed or filled in this photo but everything else is close to how it was originally applied--

IMG_1808-vi.jpg

I've also used meow cosmetics mineral makeup and blush and it comes in an incredible range of colors. But McEvoy just looks better on me. It is expensive to get an entire "face" which is okay because I only do a face refresh every year or two years and I don't buy makeup in-between except for infrequent refills.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    sbb-
    thanks! i think henna is definitely a keeper for me. eventually though i think i'll follow with indigo b/c my roots and ends are definitely 2 different colors.

back to the makeup. your pic looks fab. very natural, very pretty..no white or ashy overcast which is my problem when i apply any makeup from the darkest to the lightest. i think it's something with undertones. plus i need to modify shades when i'm tanned vs. not tanned. i think i'm going to try the tinted moisturizer since pretty much all of you have mentioned it. only thing about that is i have sensitive skin. i think that's why i didn't like the bobbi brown tinted moisturizer; i broke out with a lot of fine bumps!
    Mother eartha- Here boo, I found you a nice page that's non-comodegenic. I don't have sensitive skin, just sensitive to breakouts lol. So look for things that are hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic. Here's a list right here.

http://www.makeupdiva.com/archives/002293.html

Also, I don't know what your undertones are to your skin, but if you're not yellow/golden based, you might have a problem with Bobby Brown. I know alot of people say she tends to gravitate towards that area. Get a sample of MAC's tinted moisturizer and see how it works.

I checked the most and top rated tinted moisturizers on MUA and Laura Mercier has the most. I'd go to sephora and ask for a sample or just go to the makeup counter and get some.

And don't ever be intimidated by those MA's. Even if you ask them to do a whole face of makeup and you don't buy anything that day so what? You need to see how it's going to wear through out the day. So, just do what I do, request the basics, foundation, concealer, powder, and blush (I consider blush a necessity). Walk around for a few hours, check it outside. Maybe even take a picture, then go back tomorrow or next week to purchase it if you like it. Unless it's eyeshadow or lipstick or gloss, isn't something that needs to be rushed.

Ooo SBB- Do you like your cream blush? I've been wanting to try some. How do you apply yours?
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ooo SBB- Do you like your cream blush? I've been wanting to try some. How do you apply yours?

Everything but my contour goes on with brushes even the tinted moisturizer. New way of doing for me, but I like it. I just pat the brush on my cheek "apples"
    no white or ashy overcast which is my problem when i apply any makeup from the darkest to the lightest. i think it's something with undertones. plus i need to modify shades when i'm tanned vs. not tanned.

Your skin has great undertones and is so nice and warm. I wish I had the warmth and even color your skin has. The woman who originally introduced me to Trish McEvoy (at a private "makeup" party event at Saks) has coffee bean colored skin maybe 30+% darker than yours, but also with a lovely warm undertone. In McEvoy speak she's a "3", meaning a heavy makeup wearer, loves makeup, etc. (I'm a 2: I wear more than 2 products per facial feature). The McEvoy products worked great on her. The one thing I remember about that event was that the women who attended were so varied in skin tone -- from my friend who was the darkest toned, various coffee w/milk colors, an Asian, me and another freckled woman with more olive tone, a white brunette and a pale blond Daryl Hannah clone (who was also a 3). My friend and the Daryl Hannah clone got the most makeup on their faces, and they both looked amazing after the artists were done (we all did). I think it's the blending.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    Sample Laura Mercier oil free moisturizer...great thing about sephora is you can get a whole bunch of samples so you can try different things for a few day.

PS your skin tone is really pretty. I wouldn't do more than a tinted moisturizer.

comic-p.jpg
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    the red lipstick i'm wearing in my fotki is mac red w/ current or vino liner and some gloss. the right lip pencil can completely alter the shade of a lipstick. also a gloss (whether frost or sheer) can also go a long way of giving you the look you want.

i can't recall who said all mac lipsticks are drying but i always put a lip balm (right now i'm using a lavendar one) on first then lipstick and my lips don't feel dry at all. the best mac lipstick textures for me are satin and i like lustre's too BUT since it's so moisturizing and sheer it doesn't last long and wearing the balm underneath those doesn't work cause the lipstick will glide right off...

good luck....i' going to go back and read this whole thread but i love wet, red lips!!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
    luvmylocs wrote:
    the red lipstick i'm wearing in my fotki is mac red w/ current or vino liner and some gloss. the right lip pencil can completely alter the shade of a lipstick. also a gloss (whether frost or sheer) can also go a long way of giving you the look you want.

i can't recall who said all mac lipsticks are drying but i always put a lip balm (right now i'm using a lavendar one) on first then lipstick and my lips don't feel dry at all. the best mac lipstick textures for me are satin and i like lustre's too BUT since it's so moisturizing and sheer it doesn't last long and wearing the balm underneath those doesn't work cause the lipstick will glide right off...

good luck....i' going to go back and read this whole thread but i love wet, red lips!!

It was Meee! I'm a MAC hater (lol). I used to love everything MAC in college until I became a Sephora addict and found out that there's way better make up out there with way better ingredients. Not too long ago I purchased a MAC lipgloss and ended up with a weird irritation on my lips.

Trish McEvoy is cool although I don't like the whole having to buy a palette. I used to use their pressed mineral powder for my shinies.

SBB, I'm loving that nude lip color...is that a Trish Shade? Please tell me its not a MAC ...JK :laughing9:

comic-p.jpg
    foxycus02 you're funny! i used to have that same issue with fashion fair lipsticks (i know old school)...tiny bumps on my top lip. i didn't care how pretty the color, i love it.

as for me. i love the versatility in colors from mac and NOT having to but a palette to get what i want like a lot of brands force you to do but i do buy some bobbi brown and smashbox too...
    foxycus02 wrote:
    she also said Mac was just on the news. Their lipsticks tested positive for lead.

hmm i saw a story where their lipsticks were okay, under the level of lead that is bad. i wonder if you call them would you get a response about the lead in their litpsticks. this has been a big issue so i would assume all companies would try to phase that out of their products.
    Mother eartha- Here boo, I found you a nice page that's non-comodegenic. I don't have sensitive skin, just sensitive to breakouts lol. So look for things that are hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic. Here's a list right here.

http://www.makeupdiva.com/archives/002293.html

thanks hn! i'll check it out. i don't know how to 'quote.'

sbb, i might have to try trish mcevoy since it covers such a broad spectrum of skin tones. i would be a '1' b/c i don't want a lot of coverage i just want the raccoon look gone.

foxy, i used to live in sephora but i think hn is right i need to try it on, leave the store, and check it out in different light. i always buy it right away. sucka :blackeye:

luvmylocs,

i like vino as well...nice rich jeweltone.
  • curlicurli Posts: 857Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Soooo, I'm chiming in again.. I only wear makeup when I go out b/c I break out if I wear makeup too much.. I only wear lip gloss, eyeshadow, concealer, mascara & blush.. However, I do want a pretty even ton WITHOUT looking like a caked up mess.. So my question is, I've been hearing good things about airbrush foundation or the tinted moisturizer HN mentioned.. Which do you think is good for oily t-zone skin that doesn't break you out? I don't wear any of that stuff because I have sensitive skin & I don't want anyone to hug me & my whole face outline ends up on their shirt lol!
    curli wrote:
    Soooo, I'm chiming in again.. I only wear makeup when I go out b/c I break out if I wear makeup too much.. I only wear lip gloss, eyeshadow, concealer, mascara & blush.. However, I do want a pretty even ton WITHOUT looking like a caked up mess.. So my question is, I've been hearing good things about airbrush foundation or the tinted moisturizer HN mentioned.. Which do you think is good for oily t-zone skin that doesn't break you out? I don't wear any of that stuff because I have sensitive skin & I don't want anyone to hug me & my whole face outline ends up on their shirt lol!

I have combo skin: my forehead, nose and chin and that part of my cheeks next to the bridge of my nose are oil pots. The only foundation I like for my skin is MakeupForEver the one you can use all over all your body.

comic-p.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file