Visit 2 to Jonathan Torch Salon

CeileighCeileigh Posts: 126Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Was in Toronto for a conference so decided to go back. I had to see a different stylist as the one who did my hair last time was not working during my 'lunch break' at conference (where I ran to a subway stop, travelled north north north, then ran to the salon!). This time I had Hiwot, a beautiful lady of Ethiopian descent with phenomenal curls! My main concerns were the bulk of hair in the back and that I find the twist/curl method left my hair flat and my face looking long and gaunt (my face is diamond shaped, and long and bony!). especially with the extra length since my cut last summer.

Hiwot cut in almost total silence - her concentration is obvious and it was fascinating to watch her pick out curls and put in layers. At times she cut off 3 inches! She would fluff, scrunch, check, re shape throughout. She told me not to do the twist/curl method as I needed to have volume at the crown / top sides of my hair / face to make a more rounded shape. Plus I have cork screw curls without twisting. She also talked about the importance of diffusing up side down from the get go to acheive the volume.

End result ... I cannot get over how light my hair feels! It now moves and bounces but I didn't lose much in length at all ... just in bulk. It no longer bulks up in the back like a ski hill and I love the shape around my face. Since I am not twisting it is easier to style. My co worker comments were 'its' cute' and 'your face doesn't look as long now'

I am happier with this cut then the first one and think when I head to Toronto next I will try to book with Hiwot. Not to say the first person I saw was not good but that I was impressed with Hiwot's concentration and work to style my hair plus how she listened and heard my needs. And so far I am loving the results. I'll try to take a pic and post it.

Also, JT was doing a women a couple stations away from me so I got to see him in action as well. All together a fun experience. My niece is getting married in Toronto at the end of May so I know I will be going back that day to be looking good for the wedding!

Oh yeah, my bf likes it too. Always important to please the bf ... especially since we are going on a cruise in December. You know that one that just sunk in Antarctica ... well same cruise different ship!

Comments

• rejoicingcurlygirlrejoicingcurlygirl Posts: 654Registered Users
    Yes, pics please!!! Also what products did they use on you? DId they use only CK for styling? Please tell all :bounce:
    3A; I have HG products!
    Curl enhancer: Mop-C curl cream
    DT: Deva Heaven in Hair; JC WDT
    Gel: B&A; Arc Angel
    Conditioner: Deva OneC; JC too shea
    Frizz fighters: CK, JCS C&S
    PW: curlynow
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    did she give you a tunnel cut?
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, pics please!!! Also what products did they use on you? DId they use only CK for styling? Please tell all :bounce:
    Yes, we must know! :D Can't wait to see it!
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • CeileighCeileigh Posts: 126Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I took some pics this morning before leaving for work. Good thing ... it is so windy here I will look totally different by the end of the day!

She did what they call 'curly layers' - where they cut layers in at different lengths. I got an email today from CHS with videos from when Jonathan T. was on 'Cityline'. He does the curly layers on the second girl.

She used the leave in condish and CK, that was it. Since I have gone to the JT CHI I almost never use gel anymore. I have bottles of it (buy on sale) just gathering dust in my basement laundry room. Maybe I can give them away for Christmas :)

I will post pics later today ...
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ceileigh wrote:
    I took some pics this morning before leaving for work. Good thing ... it is so windy here I will look totally different by the end of the day!......

I will post pics later today ...
    We'll be waiting! I'll have to try the videos again, they were unavailable last time I clicked. :( Good to know they show the layers in the video.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file