Is using conditioner a MUST / is there a natural choice for

Hi! I´m quite a newbie here, but I have gone ´poo less for a month now. I have a wavy, maybe a little curly hair when not combing after wash. I´m just in a process to discover that I AM a curly girl :idea: I always thought to have a more straight hair still having problems to keep it straight after blow-drying it specially in a very moisture weather... I have discovered actual curls (maybe more waves) when gone ´poo less.

Now I´m wondering why to use conditioner that much and often, like so many here do? I see that many have hair that screams for moisture. Now, when being curly is new to me, I wonder that SHOULD I use a conditioner, too. My hair routine before going ´poo less was shampooing twice or three times a week with a gentle shampoo, but NO conditioner at all :confused1: I used to blow-dry after wash and curly with iron daily. I have a short bob cut. My hair dresser always says that my hair is very healthy, even though I don´t use a conditioner, which used to make my hair lying down and getting oily easier. I also have a very sensitive and quite dry scalp.

Is there any natural choice to moisture my hair? My hair routine now is to wash my hair once a week with baking powder-water solution plus an ACV rinse once in two weeks. I water wash my hair once a week. Is a coconut oil or olive oil treatment mositurizing or is something else more effective? I would think those would rather get my hair heavy and they would be more greasy than moisturizing to my hair.

Answers would really be appreciated

:blob5:

Thanks for advance :)
2A; CG friendly COs, adding time to time ACV, cocoanut oil, jojoba oil, glycerin, aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel; product-free

Comments

• kaesekaese Registered Users Posts: 137
    In my experience, olive oil can be very heavy. I am not really sure I understand your reasoning for not wanting to use conditioner, so I don't know if my advice is going to be way off topic. There are several lines of natural and organic products available. I get Nature's Gate conditioner in my grocery store, and it is not much more expensive than "regular" brand conditioners.

Personally, I use conditioner because I know that my hair wants the moisture. Like you, my hair is straight/wavy when wet, but it curls up a lot when I keep it well-moisturized. Also, when I wear my hair straight it tends to get oily, because it is easier for my hair's natural oils to spread down my hair. When I wear it curly I do not have that problem.
  • eweniqueewenique Registered Users Posts: 1,502 Curl Neophyte
    It sounds like you're only getting your hair wet twice a week, so using a conditioner then and rinsing it out thoroughly shouldn't weigh your hair down. It would give your hair the little bit of moisture that it probably needs. Conditioner also helps to detangle hair, which is necessary with longer hair to keep it froming knotting. Instead of olive or coconut oil, you could try the much lighter jojoba oil - just a few drops smoothed into wet hair is usually enough to moisturize. Also, if you are using a curling iron every day, your hair will lose moisture and wave/curl over time. (I used to be a daily curling iron user and didn't realize how damaged my hair became over time. Since I've been CG, I have recovered the waves/curls that I had when I was younger.) Give conditioner a try, you may be surprised at how much your hair likes it!
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • darkBlondiedarkBlondie Registered Users Posts: 84
    Thank you for your answers :cheers:

Kaese: I may have eplained unclearly why I wouldn´t like to use a conditioner. I am a bit afraid how I would get the build up or something out of my hair if I use often or a lot of conditioner. Another reason to be cautious about using conditioner is that it would still dry may hair too much. Though it´s used for moisturizing, still I think using it too often might do the opposite. As I have a dry and sensitive skin, I can´t i.g. shower my whole body every day without getting an itchy and dry skin. When continued, too much washing (even with water) would cause eczema. If I put conditioner or wash my hair even with water every day, my hair would dry out likewise.

I also trust more in natural things like oils than chemicals. Ancient women didn´t use chemicals or didn´t even wash their hair every day and still they had healthy hair. Why should we add so many chemicals only to get our hair moisturized? I don´t want to offend anyone, just wanting to try to find a more natural way of hair care. Specially now when I have gone this long ´poo less.

I read it somewhere here that you can wash CG conditioners away with water (without using ´poo). Is that true? I haven´t seen Nature´s Gate to be sold here, but that Freeman Ewenique mentions in her signature we have. Maybe I will give it a chance and try it if I feel my hair gets dry.

Ewenique: jojoba oil sounds excellent. Do you know why it moisturizes more than other oils? You have it right that a curling iron dries the ends of the hair. My problem is that the ends are straight and that doesn´t look nice. That´s why I curl the ends.
    2A; CG friendly COs, adding time to time ACV, cocoanut oil, jojoba oil, glycerin, aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel; product-free
  • mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Registered Users Posts: 1,271 Curl Novice
    Thank you for your answers :cheers:

Kaese: I may have eplained unclearly why I wouldn´t like to use a conditioner. I am a bit afraid how I would get the build up or something out of my hair if I use often or a lot of conditioner. Another reason to be cautious about using conditioner is that it would still dry may hair too much. Though it´s used for moisturizing, still I think using it too often might do the opposite. As I have a dry and sensitive skin, I can´t i.g. shower my whole body every day without getting an itchy and dry skin. When continued, too much washing (even with water) would cause eczema. If I put conditioner or wash my hair even with water every day, my hair would dry out likewise.

I also trust more in natural things like oils than chemicals. Ancient women didn´t use chemicals or didn´t even wash their hair every day and still they had healthy hair. Why should we add so many chemicals only to get our hair moisturized? I don´t want to offend anyone, just wanting to try to find a more natural way of hair care. Specially now when I have gone this long ´poo less.

I read it somewhere here that you can wash CG conditioners away with water (without using ´poo). Is that true? I haven´t seen Nature´s Gate to be sold here, but that Freeman Ewenique mentions in her signature we have. Maybe I will give it a chance and try it if I feel my hair gets dry.

Ewenique: jojoba oil sounds excellent. Do you know why it moisturizes more than other oils? You have it right that a curling iron dries the ends of the hair. My problem is that the ends are straight and that doesn´t look nice. That´s why I curl the ends.

There are many conditioners out there that are made of purely natural ingredients, and no chemicals. Aubrey Organics and Nature's Gate, I believe, are two examples. Many brands sold at CurlMart, too, contain only natural ingredients -- MyHoneyChild, Jessicurl, etc.

The basis of CG is to be able to wash away ANYTHING with just water, and not shampoo. CG is also centered around conditioners. So, yes, a totally CG conditioner will definitely rinse off with just water. Conditioners are essential to providing hair with moisture and sealing the cuticle to keep the hair strand healthy.

My personal favorite when it comes to conditioners is Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. It's completely natural (its preservatives are even 100% organic, NOT synthetic), and I've never experienced any build-up with it. Some conditioners, like this one, are essentially a blend of oils and butters and other natural humectants -- so if you're willing to "condition" your hair with one kind of oil, what's the problem with using a blend of moisturizers instead?
    Thank you Mysteryflavored for your answer.

I am in the beginning of reading these threads in naturallycurly.com, so not everything is clear to me yet. So, it confirmed my idea what I remembered to have read here that a true CG conditioner can be washed away with water.

Those same CG conditioner trademarks are probably not sold here, so I try to find a good substitute. So, what are the restrictions on the content of a good CG conditioner? I know it shouldn´t consist of any ´cons, sulfates and alcohol. Are there any other restrictions?

This information may be somewhere here, but at least shortly looked I couldn´t find it. I´d like to start searching for a suitable conditioner, because it may be hard time finding it...

Thanks in advance :)
    Thank you Mysteryflavored for your answer.

I am in the beginning of reading these threads in naturallycurly.com, so not everything is clear to me yet. So, it confirmed my idea what I remembered to have read here that a true CG conditioner can be washed away with water.

Those same CG conditioner trademarks are probably not sold here, so I try to find a good substitute. So, what are the restrictions on the content of a good CG conditioner? I know it shouldn´t consist of any ´cons, sulfates and alcohol. Are there any other restrictions?

This information may be somewhere here, but at least shortly looked I couldn´t find it. I´d like to start searching for a suitable conditioner, because it may be hard time finding it...

Thanks in advance :)

A "good" conditioner is very dependent on personal hair preference. Some may need a conditioner with protein, and others can't stand it. Some love oils, and some can't go near them. I think, in addition to the things you mentioned to avoid, waxes are another no-no for CG, as they aren't really washed out so easily. But other than that, it's all about experimenting. I think if you want to start off trying something cheap, all-natural, and locally available, I would recommend any of the Trader Joe's conditioners (although the Nourish seems to get the best reviews), a few of the Nature's Gate conditioners (some good ones I've heard of include the Aloe and the Daily Herbal), and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose. Online-available conditioners that I've had good luck with are Oyin's Honey-Hemp conditioner and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence Moisture Balancing conditioner[/buylink]. Aaand I just ordered one of the MyHoneyChild condishes, so we'll see how that goes.

Whew, hope that helped. Haha.
    Thanks Mysteryflavored. You made a lot of thinking about my question :)
    I guess it´s just about trying several products to find the suitable one, when I decide to useb conditioners. I understood from your signature that you are a PJ, so you surely have good experience of many kinds of conditioners :wink: Of course, everybody has to do the job mostly herself because hair is so different. Anyway, others´experiences help much at least to make the searching job somewhat easier.

So, commonly talked, are oils usually more suitable for very curly hair than waves? I eat quite much protein and that surely affects also hair, so may be I should concentrate more to moisturize my hair. That´s good to know to avoid waxes.

You have it right, I like to start off trying to find something cheap, all-natural and locally available. I´ll give it a try to find those trademarks you mentioned. It may be also with these trademarks that I can´t find. You know, hair quality is different between continents and the products are somewhat different, too. Maybe trademarks are different, though the content would be more or less the same. At least natural content should suit for everyone :wink:
  • generositytgenerosityt Registered Users Posts: 245
    I have lots and lots of curls and can't live without conditioner. But although my hair can't go without conditioner, if I don't rinse it out 100% it dries out, becomes very frizzy and weird to the touch. So that might be the problem with your hair. I use oil, my hair is unmanageble without oil but can't stand leave ins or any conditioner residue.
    A Mediterranean 3b lady
    In love with my curls, love love love
    CG since Nov/07

Co-Wash: VO5, Tresemme naturals, Fructis naturals
    Cond: Nature's Gate conditioners
    Stylers: Lotions made at home with coconut oil, honey, AVG, vegetable glycerin, OO, and EO.
    Gel: LA Looks sports gel for high humidity days.

Hair goal: Waist length healthy curls
    Masteryflavored:
    I've got this pomade a week ago: "Got2b Defiant define and shine pomade" and looooves the results, but I thought it's some kind of wax, I don't really know the difference between wax and pomade. I thought it is CG friendly but I'm not sure. Here are the ingredients:
    Ingredients:
    Water, PEG-25 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Isopropyl Myristate, Oleth-10, Oleth-20, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Mica (CI 77019), Silica, Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Red 33 (CI 17200).
    Is it a wax?? And why waxes are no-no?
    A Mediterranean 3b lady
    CG since Nov/07

Stylers: Lotions made at home with coconut oil, honey, AVG, vegetable glycerin, OO, and EO.

Masteryflavored:
    I've got this pomade a week ago: "Got2b Defiant define and shine pomade" and looooves the results, but I thought it's some kind of wax, I don't really know the difference between wax and pomade. I thought it is CG friendly but I'm not sure. Here are the ingredients:
    Ingredients:
    Water, PEG-25 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Isopropyl Myristate, Oleth-10, Oleth-20, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Mica (CI 77019), Silica, Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Red 33 (CI 17200).
    Is it a wax?? And why waxes are no-no?

I don't think it's a wax. Waxes in hair product (although not emulsifying waxes, I don't think) coat the hair shaft and repel water. I know some Curl Junkie products contain beeswax, which is a pretty household and well-known wax, and as you can imagine (like in wax-lined cups), it's pretty tough and won't just wash away with water.

That silica ingredient worries me, though. Isn't that essentially what sand and quartz are made out of? Like, the silica that people use to make glass? What is that doing in a hair product?
    hmmm I don't know, I'll search it in the web.
    I see, it's definetly not a wax then, I can feel it washed away before I even condition, just by water.
    A Mediterranean 3b lady
    CG since Nov/07

I found these definitions about it:
    Silica - Strengthens hair and prevents hair loss. Food sources: Seafood, rice, soybeans, green vegetables. Daily dose: 55 mcg. Warnings: An excess of Selenium can be toxic, leading to the loss of hair, nails and teeth.

There are many types of silica and it's actually used as a composent of
    dietary supplements to nourish hair, skin and nails. So I guess it is ok.
    A Mediterranean 3b lady
    CG since Nov/07

I have lots and lots of curls and can't live without conditioner. But although my hair can't go without conditioner, if I don't rinse it out 100% it dries out, becomes very frizzy and weird to the touch. So that might be the problem with your hair. I use oil, my hair is unmanageble without oil but can't stand leave ins or any conditioner residue.

Thanks Generosityt :) As my former experience with conditioners and leave-in´s (which I used a few times a year before going no ´poo), I agree that they make also my fine hair too heavy, weird to touch and artificial when not rinsed out well. I also have an allergic skin/scalp and therefore I have to rinse my hair well after washing with anything. There tends to get some amount of "leave-in" to the scalp after using a conditioner too if not rinsed out thoroughly. Those "leave-in´s" irritate my scalp. I´ve already become more positive towards using a conditioner :) , thanks to your advice gals!
    Methylparaben, Propylparaben

I don´t know what the CG method says about those, but one reason to go no `poo is to get rid specially of those chemicals. Any kinds of parabens. I guess you can´t have everything: either turning back to one kind of chemicals or others.
  • AwakenedDesiresAwakenedDesires Registered Users Posts: 88
    I just did a search recently for homemade conditioning recipes. Here are some that I found:

The first recipe helps moisturize the hair. The avocado is a moisturizing element and together with mayonnaise added it is perfect for dry, brittle hair.

Avocado hair moisturizer
    Ingredients
    * 1/4 avocado, peeled and mashed
    * 1/4 mayonnaise
    * blender or food processor
    Preparation
    * Combine avocado and mayonnaise in a blender or food processor until the mass is consistent and smooth
    * Apply on hair and cover with a shower cap
    * Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes
    * Rinse off with a gentle shampoo

Deep conditioner
    Ingredients
    * 3-4 drops of essential oils of your choice
    * 1 teaspoon of olive oil
    * 1 egg
    Preparation
    * Beat the egg
    * Mix in the rest of the ingredients
    * Apply on the hair and leave on for 15 to 20 minutes
    * Rinse off using a gentle shampoo
    This hair conditioner helps moisturize (olive oil) and soften your hair (egg). You can keep it refrigerated in a plastic container with a lid. Shake it well before using it.

Tropical Conditioner for Dry or Damaged Hair
    Adapted from 50 Simple Ways to Pamper Yourself, by Stephanie Tourles (Storey Books, 1999).
    Here is a fabulous kitchen cupboard formula with a luscious tropical scent that will soothe dry, brittle, damaged hair and make it feel silky and lustrous again.
    SIMPLE SOLUTION: You probably have all the ingredients on hand, and the directions couldn’t be simpler. Mouthwatering and very effective!
    INGREDIENTS
    1 very ripe, large banana
    1 tablespoon heavy cream
    1 tablespoon honey
    1. Mash the banana. Add the cream and honey and whisk together until smooth.
    2. Apply to dry hair from the roots to the ends, cover with a shower cap, and then wrap your head in a warm towel.
    3. Allow mixture to remain on hair for as long as possible--up to an hour. Rinse thoroughly with warm water, then shampoo as usual.
    4a/3c
    Last relaxer: 8/23/06
    BC: 10/24/07
    I just did a search recently for homemade conditioning recipes. Here are some that I found:

The first recipe helps moisturize the hair. The avocado is a moisturizing element and together with mayonnaise added it is perfect for dry, brittle hair.

Avocado hair moisturizer
    Ingredients
    * 1/4 avocado, peeled and mashed
    * 1/4 mayonnaise
    * blender or food processor
    Preparation
    * Combine avocado and mayonnaise in a blender or food processor until the mass is consistent and smooth
    * Apply on hair and cover with a shower cap
    * Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes
    * Rinse off with a gentle shampoo

Deep conditioner
    Ingredients
    * 3-4 drops of essential oils of your choice
    * 1 teaspoon of olive oil
    * 1 egg
    Preparation
    * Beat the egg
    * Mix in the rest of the ingredients
    * Apply on the hair and leave on for 15 to 20 minutes
    * Rinse off using a gentle shampoo
    This hair conditioner helps moisturize (olive oil) and soften your hair (egg). You can keep it refrigerated in a plastic container with a lid. Shake it well before using it.

Adapted from 50 Simple Ways to Pamper Yourself, by Stephanie Tourles (Storey Books, 1999).
    Here is a fabulous kitchen cupboard formula with a luscious tropical scent that will soothe dry, brittle, damaged hair and make it feel silky and lustrous again.
    SIMPLE SOLUTION: You probably have all the ingredients on hand, and the directions couldn’t be simpler. Mouthwatering and very effective!
    INGREDIENTS
    1 tablespoon heavy cream
    1 tablespoon honey
    2. Apply to dry hair from the roots to the ends, cover with a shower cap, and then wrap your head in a warm towel.
    3. Allow mixture to remain on hair for as long as possible--up to an hour. Rinse thoroughly with warm water, then shampoo as usual.

I've always been skeptical about putting mayonnaise in hair. It just doesn't seem right.

And if you're going to mash up a banana and put it in your hair, I think the general consensus is to strain the mixture first. The chunks are difficult to remove.
    Thank you AwakenedDesires and Generosityt for your advice :) You understood what I meant with natural hair care: oils and those home made moisturizers. I tried today coconut oil in the ends two and half hours before washing my hair with egg. At least now it feels it didn´t make the ends heavy and greasy, but I´ll see it better tomorrow. I´ve been told that a Scandinavian type of hair needs more moisture than oil (i.g. during winter the room temperature must be higher and the dry air dries skin and hair more easily), but I´m sure there is also need for an oil treatment every now and then.

Your recipes sound easy to made and surely I find the ingredients here :bounce: Can´t wait untill try them.
    I suggest you try a little bit of mayo in a little part of your hair before putting it all over your hair; I had a horrible horrible experience with mayo, it made my hair feel like I've never felt it before, unbelievely hard, harsh, and sticky or something I can't even describe. I suggest you try a little bit first.
    Olive oil is ok for any type of hair as long as you wash it out very well. It's a great treatment for hair. warm it a little bit put it in your hair then wrap it with foil. It's a great treatment..
    Goooooooooooood luck
    A Mediterranean 3b lady
    CG since Nov/07

Generosityt: thanks for the caution of mayonnaise, I´ll be careful. It´s better to know forehand :wink:

As I am using no ´poo, would you think the olive oil rinses out with warm water or a baking soda wash?
    mmmmmmm good question, I think it will be hard to wash it all out without shampoo. I don't know, the oil I'm using has a little bit of olive oil in it, but I use a little bit of it so my hair absorb it all. Using olive oil as a moisturizer will probably require shampoo. But I think you can get away with a little bit of it in a recipe.
    A Mediterranean 3b lady
    CG since Nov/07

Thanks again, Generosityt. The coconut oil in the ends wasn´t rinsed out very well with just an egg wash. Today I washed my hair with baking soda - water solution and it feels that it worked, though I didn´t put it straight to the ends. I also rinsed my hair with ACV and that may have helped also.

With my short experience being wavy/curly I noticed today that my hair wasn´t that curly as it used to be earlier, maybe ACV rinse weakens the curl definition?
    INGREDIENTS
    1 tablespoon heavy cream
    1 tablespoon honey
    And if you're going to mash up a banana and put it in your hair, I think the general consensus is to strain the mixture first. The chunks are difficult to remove.

Thanks for your advice, Generosityt, AwakenedDesires and Mysteryflavored. I´ve tried only this tropical conditioner and here is what I experienced during and after using it (a horror story :shaking: )
    - I mixed the ingredients with a mixer, put the whole mixture into my dry hair (it was all too much but I thought it wouldn´t be refridgerated until next time because of cream), put a fine plastic bag to my hair (there was no shower cap) and wrapped my head in a towel. I kept the CO in my hair for an hour.
    - I was horrified when finding small banana chunks all over my hair. Mysteryflavored, you had it right: they were very difficult to remove from hair. I was afraid that if I couldn´t get them out of my hair, it would be impossible to remove them when the hair is dry.
    - I rinsed my hair carefully with warm water, washed with all too mild of a solution of baking soda and rinsed with ACV. Then I water washed my hair a lot and combed with a wide toothed comb. The result: I got the banana chunks away, but noticed that despite of all that washing and rinsing my hair had an odd smell and it was so greasy like if I hadn´t washed my hair with anything during a month. It was late in the night and I decided to wash my hair again next morning.
    - in the morning I washed my hair with a stronger baking soda - water -solution, but when it didn´t remove the greasiness and smell from my hair, I decided to wash my hair (after being 1,5 months no ´poo) with a sulfate shampoo which doesn´t contain non-water soluble silicons. Actually it wasn´t harmful for the no ´poo process, because I only washed my hair not the sculp (it doesn´t affect the sculp getting too greasy and therefore doesn´t start the no ´poo process from the beginning). :wink:
    - this removed the greasiness and actually I have a more full and moisturized hair though having washed it so many times.

I try to make it short. Here´s what I learnt about the CO and my hair:
    - As I´ve noticed when trying some kinds of oils and now this cream containing CO, my hair doesn´t absorb oil very well (2A/B, fine Scandinavian more wavy hair). With no ´poo method they are also difficult to be washed away.
    - The portion is good for a long haired person, to me half of it or less would have been better (I have a short bob haircut).
    - The banana was ripe, but not VERY ripe, so that may have caused the chunks too.
    - Cream is healthy, but sitting in hair in almost +37 degrees temperature for an hour it may get ransid and therefore cause the bad smell.
    :arrow: if someone wants to try this, I would recommend it for someone having a hair that absorbs oils well. The CO would be better to be mixed well, only the suitable amount to be added and kept in hair for a shorter time at first. Also for persons that use shampoo.

Have anyone else tried this? How did it work for you?

Later I´ll maybe give it a try to the other home made treatments.
  • AwakenedDesiresAwakenedDesires Registered Users Posts: 88
    Thanks for posting your experience. That was very informative. I have not tried the recipes yet. I am waiting until I return home from the dorm and have a mixer or something to mix the ingredients properly. I will keep your experience in mind.

I'm glad your hair turned out moisturized in the end! :wink:
    4a/3c
    Last relaxer: 8/23/06
    BC: 10/24/07
    Thanks, AwakenedDesires :) The hair still feels moisturized and has much gloss.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file