CG SWIMMERS??

b0ricubanab0ricubana Posts: 125Registered Users
Any CG Swimmers here???
My hair is acting up and i think it's from too much chlorine ...
:cherry:
type 3a hair. started the 'CG' routine on 06.12.07 the day of my very 1st 'Deva' cut ;D
Currently using all Devacare products...
ALSO Addicted to:
Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Condish
Tigi Catwalk Oatmeal and Honey Condish
HEBE Set me up

Comments

• malafachamalafacha Posts: 301Registered Users
    I wanted to take up swimming but was wondering about the chlorine. Haven't been in a pool for the past 7 years, except for the waterpark once. Will the sea also dry my hair out?
    It's five o'clock somewhere! ctail.gif
  • La wavyLa wavy Posts: 52Registered Users
    I'm CG, swim at least 4x week and my hair is in excellent shape, -- shiney, healthy.

I rinse with Aubrey Organics swimmers conditioner and deep condition with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Hibiscus--Banana-Deep-Fix-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-478.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curl-junkie-hibiscus-banana-deep-fix-moisturizing-conditioner]Curl Junkie Hibiscus Banana Deep Fix[/buylink] every so often when I remember to.

Some swimmers here recommend putting conditioner in before you swim and if your hair likes oils(mine doesn't) that can create a good barrier as well.

I think sea water is supposed to be good for your hair. Some products claim to have sea salt in them.
    ^ so do you swim in a pool or in the sea?
    Pool.
    And how do you wash your hair after swimming? With the conditioner only? [sorry about all the questions :oops: ]
  • gryantmarch2stepgryantmarch2step Posts: 454Registered Users
    Banjo swims but I'm not sure if it's in pools or not. I know she swims in lakes.
    3B~Botticelli/3C~ Corkicelli~Blonde
    Faves: B&A Gel, BRHG, ReCoil, KC Knot Today, Curl Junkie CCCC

PW: dmbcurls
    I just use a lot of conditioner after swimming... I suppose it counts as a CO wash since I'm sure to massage my scalp pretty well. Then I leave it on for as long as I'm in the shower before the final rinse ( usually a cold one to make the cuticle lie flat and my hair shine)

The Aubrey's swimmer's conditioner can be used as a mini DT because it's so emollient.

I use lemon juice and conditioner to clarify every so often or a sulfate free shampoo once a month or so before a DT.

Hope that helps.
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    I think Banjocurl puts conditioner on her hair before swimming.

I thought there were some nc articles on swimming and hair care but this is all I could find.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • b0ricubanab0ricubana Posts: 125Registered Users
    thank you guys that pretty much answers my questions :D yay...
    i was thinking i had to wash with a sulfate shampoo to get rid of my buildup (or whatever it is)... my hair has become less curly and just flat and blah looking. I think my cut is growing out as well.
    :cherry:
    type 3a hair. started the 'CG' routine on 06.12.07 the day of my very 1st 'Deva' cut ;D
    ALSO Addicted to:
    HEBE Set me up
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I swim in a pool every day, just about, and my hair is in great shape. The trick is to wet your hair with clear water before getting into the chlorinated water. It can't absorb the chlorinated water if it's already saturated with clear water. I put a little conditioner in mine also and wear a swim cap. I CO wash it right after swimming.

I also don't dye my hair with commerical-peroxide hair color anymore. I have found that peroxide and chlorine are a terrible combination (I have had "melted" straw hair more than once from pools and peroxide...very sad). I use henna for color now and that keeps my hair in awesome condition, but deposit-only hair colors (like Robert Craig) are also safe for pool swimming.
  • b0ricubanab0ricubana Posts: 125Registered Users
    I swim in a pool every day, just about, and my hair is in great shape. The trick is to wet your hair with clear water before getting into the chlorinated water. It can't absorb the chlorinated water if it's already saturated with clear water. I put a little conditioner in mine also and wear a swim cap. I CO wash it right after swimming.

I also don't dye my hair with commerical-peroxide hair color anymore. I have found that peroxide and chlorine are a terrible combination (I have had "melted" straw hair more than once from pools and peroxide...very sad). I use henna for color now and that keeps my hair in awesome condition, but deposit-only hair colors (like Robert Craig) are also safe for pool swimming.

Interesting. I'll keep that in mind the next time i decide I must color my hair. Hopefully not for a long while. but thank you for the tips.
    ALSO Addicted to:
    HEBE Set me up

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file