Pressure to start solids

fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
Grrrr! This may be a rant, but if one more person tells me that DS is ready for solids because he is interested in watching us eat, I'm going to lose it! All I hear from my relatives is "Oh! He wants that sandwich! Look at him watching you eat. He wants a taste!" He is interested in watching lots of things and he explores everything with his mouth. That does not mean he is ready for solid food! Even his doctor said he shouldn't be waking to eat and to start him on cereal. What is up with people?

I look at it this way: he is at the top of the growth chart for his age and that is all from breastfeeding. He is clearly not starving. Why start solids early? 6 months is just around the corner. He is teething and hitting lots of physical milestones right now, so he needs to nurse at night. Big deal. Yes, I'm tired, but I can handle it. Cereal doesn't mean he'll sleep any better. In fact, introducing foods too early can disrupt sleep too. I'm just tired of nodding and smiling and saying, "another couple of months."
Hair type: 3A/B
I lurk, therefore, I am.
My Blog

Comments

• AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    fuzzbucket wrote:
    Grrrr! This may be a rant, but if one more person tells me that DS is ready for solids because he is interested in watching us eat, I'm going to lose it! All I hear from my relatives is "Oh! He wants that sandwich! Look at him watching you eat. He wants a taste!" He is interested in watching lots of things and he explores everything with his mouth. That does not mean he is ready for solid food! Even his doctor said he shouldn't be waking to eat and to start him on cereal. What is up with people?

I look at it this way: he is at the top of the growth chart for his age and that is all from breastfeeding. He is clearly not starving. Why start solids early? 6 months is just around the corner. He is teething and hitting lots of physical milestones right now, so he needs to nurse at night. Big deal. Yes, I'm tired, but I can handle it. Cereal doesn't mean he'll sleep any better. In fact, introducing foods too early can disrupt sleep too. I'm just tired of nodding and smiling and saying, "another couple of months."

Those people sound like my in-laws.

I can't believe a doctor told you that either. I'd get a new doctor. I wonder what s/he would think of JJ - he eats every 2 hours round the clock!

Our sons sound similar - mine is also at the top of the growth charts exclusively from breast feeding and is showing a lot of body control/mobility - and he also shows a lot of interest in food. I sure hope he's not teething though!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
    Lex is super interested in my car keys and cell phone. Does that mean that he's ready to call long distance and go for a spin in the truck?

Just one of many zingers you can use - free of charge :love1:
    hello.world.
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Amneris wrote:
    I can't believe a doctor told you that either. I'd get a new doctor.

ITA. The pediatrician I interviewed last week said there is no reason at all to start solids before 6 months.

I like Webjockey's response for the annoying relatives. :laughing9:
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
    Yeah, we're looking for a new doctor. We found this one at the last minute. She is nice, but way too old school for my taste. She also told me not to pick him up when he cries at night because he should be sleeping. Good thing I didn't tell her he doesn't cry because we co-sleep! :wink:
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • rainshowerrainshower Registered Users Posts: 4,420
    i think most people are well-meaning when they suggest the start of solids. but i also know from experience that all of the people who suggested that to me didn't breastfeed and couldn't comprehend how milk that my body produced and that i kept wholesome with a healthy diet was able to sustain my babies. no cereal, no rice, no formula supplementing, just breastmilk.

at 6-7 months, i slowly introduced solids in the form of a few jar veggies that they both rejected. so i ended up making their baby food, which was nothing more than what we ate, just unseasoned and mashed up really well with a fork. i never used a blender. for the first several weeks, they didn't eat much more than a heaping teaspoon to tablespoon of whatever it was we offered them. they just rolled the new flavor and texture around in their mouths, swallowed a bit, but spit most of it out. through their first year, even after the start of solids, my breastmilk was what nourished them. it wasn't until after they hit a year that they began consuming more of the mashed up veggies and fruits or rice. and i let them sample one food for about a week before introducing a new food.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur

At some point you just have to develop some confidence in your parenting abilities and ignore all the advice, because it doesn't stop. I still get unsolicited advice on how to parent my 21 year old.

Anyway...not to give advice (:wink:), but you don't have to start solids at 6 months old either. You can wait til 7, 8, 9, 10, even 12 months. Breastmilk should be the main source of nutrition for the entire first year and there is no need to spoonfeed pureed food of any kind (and cereal is never necessary...it's junk food). Just give him little tastes of things if he wants and start him on regular tablefood at a year or so. It's much cheaper and easier to just nurse. It'll save you tons of time over spooning slop.

My youngest boy was over 30 pounds at 1 year old, solely from breastmilk, walking and talking and perfectly healthy, and had been sleeping through the night from 2 months old. That stuff is the best nutrition on earth.
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    Sounds like your doctor has absolutely no clue about breastfed babies. My understanding is that formula feeding is still the standard that is taught in pediatrics, it is what the "standard" growth charts are based on, so it is actually pretty common for pediatricians to have no clue.

Same with relatives. If they are older, then they were told to starts solids at a really young age, schedule feedings, not spoil the child (like you can spoil an infant), blah blah blah.

Keep doing what you know is right. And ignore the advice.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Curl Neophyte
    webjockey wrote:
    Lex is super interested in my car keys and cell phone. Does that mean that he's ready to call long distance and go for a spin in the truck?

Just one of many zingers you can use - free of charge :love1:

:laughing9: Storing this away for future use...
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    There will always be people with advice to give so just be confident and do what you feel is right.

To be fair, the solids at 4 months recommendation was only changed to 6 months a few years ago (maybe 2003?). So its not that surprising that even recent moms don't realize that the recommendation has changed. No excuse for your doctor to not be up on current practices though (although if she was to frame it as "the current recommendation is 6 months but in my experience many babies are ready at 4 months" then I would hear her out and then do whatever I want).

The way I see it, starting solids at 4 months is no fun - all they can eat is cereal, which is a long way off from the yummy stuff they are watching you eat. We started at 7 months and pretty much fed DS off our plate from day 1.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file