Aveda Sap Moss & Be Curly Curl Enhancer reviews!

jada1111jada1111 Posts: 829Registered Users
I got these due to a review made by a nap on Youtube that LOVED this stuff. I remember reading good things about this line before when I first became natural, but I was into a serious PJ stage at that time and just never got around to getting it. LOL!

I'm a 100% 4a and here's my reviews for the products. I also used it according to how the Aveda stylist instructed. She was honest when she said that she wasn't too familiar with natural african american hair, but she did her best to help which I appreciated.

Aveda Sap Moss Nourishing Concentrate - I like this. It's supposed to be used as a pre-shampoo treatment before using the shampoo and conditioner. I left it on for a couple of hours. My hair looked very moist before I rinsed it out. I read on makeupalley.com that most people prefer it as a leave-in. I'll see how that goes. I'm going to keep it.

Aveda Sap Moss Shampoo - Now this is supposed to be both a shampoo and CONDITIONING agent. You're supposed to leave it on for five to ten minutes, THEN add the accompanying conditioner. I'll be honest, I don't know if there was a difference in my hair or not. I'm returning it. $12.95 for a 4.2 oz tube seems a bit wasteful to me right now if I can't see the fabulousness of in the FIRST use.

Aveda Sap Moss Detangling Conditioner - The "detangling" qualities of this product was beneath MY standards. If it takes me longer than a minute on a section or if I'm constantly "tugging" at my hair to remove tangles, then the conditioner is GARBAGE to ME. I pulled out alot of hair that I only see when I use cheapie conditioners. Maybe I needed to use more and if I did, then that's STILL a problem, because at $12.95 for a 4.2 oz tube, I'd be using almost half the bottle in one use. I also didn't like how my hair looked after I rinsed it out. Sort of fuzzy looking. Returning.

Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer - Man, I really want to keep using this, but I have to get a grip on how MUCH to use for my hair. The problem is that even though it gives wonderful definition and moisture, it weighs my hair down terribly and takes FOREVER to dry. This is a no-no, because with my current cut, it's important to have as much LIFT as possible at the top. It's a good product, if you can master the amount you need. Keeping. It'll probably work better as my hair becomes longer. The "lift" I need won't be a problem then.

I know many curlies love the Sap Moss line, but it didn't work for ME.

Thank goodness I can return them.
Jada1111

HAIR TYPE: 4a all over/3c around nape/edges; Last relaxer -4/4/02; Big chop - 4/16/03

http://public.fotki.com/jada1111/
PW: flower

Comments

• FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It is too bad the Sap Moss didn't work for you. I love that stuff. I used it in my daughter's hair and it brought it back to life. My daughter only has slightly wavy hair, but after the summer it was fried from all of the chlorine. This product helped to bring the softness back to it.

I like the Be Curly Enhancing Cream as well, but only if I use a gel afterwards. When I use the Be Curly Cream, I use it first, followed by the Aveda Flax Seed and Aloe gel and then I use the Aveda Elements Whip to scrunch out the crunch.

I sometimes use the Elements Whip after I diffuse, but before dry. It is wonderful stuff.
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wow, I'm shocked that Be Curly weighs you down! It doesn't seem to weigh down my super-limp hair at all, so funny how everyone's hair responds differently to things.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • jada1111jada1111 Posts: 829Registered Users
    FrizzBgone wrote:
    It is too bad the Sap Moss didn't work for you. I love that stuff. I used it in my daughter's hair and it brought it back to life. My daughter only has slightly wavy hair, but after the summer it was fried from all of the chlorine. This product helped to bring the softness back to it.

I like the Be Curly Enhancing Cream as well, but only if I use a gel afterwards. When I use the Be Curly Cream, I use it first, followed by the Aveda Flax Seed and Aloe gel and then I use the Aveda Elements Whip to scrunch out the crunch.

I sometimes use the Elements Whip after I diffuse, but before dry. It is wonderful stuff.

I don't think the Sap Moss line was created with NATURAL AA hair in mind. I need MORE detangling and moisturizing than a 3b would.

The curl enhancing cream makes my hair feel and look wonderful, but it's a very weird product. My hair takes FOREVER to dry with it even with a diffuser!! I can't be spending an extra 10 to 15 minutes diffusing my hair dry to get it in some kind of decent shape. Even with gel, there are still problems. It leaves my hair too soft and floppy. I won't be using it anymore for OUT styles. Probably as a leave-in for pony-puffs and such.
    Jada1111

HAIR TYPE: 4a all over/3c around nape/edges; Last relaxer -4/4/02; Big chop - 4/16/03

http://public.fotki.com/jada1111/
    PW: flower

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file