Help with disguised proteins

jwortonjworton Posts: 196Registered Users
Hello,
I have an etxreme protein sensitivity, so I have to be very careful with the ingredients of everything I use (shampoo and conditioner as well, even though they get washed out). I am having a hard time though because I understand that the label doesn't always say "protein", it can be masked as something else. Does anyone know what all the different names that it can be labeled as??

Thanks so much for your help!!
Fine, 3b, protein sensitive

What I like
LLL Green Tea shampoo
JC CCSS, Biotera gel, HETT mousse, GF curl shaping spray gel

Comments

• echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    Hydrolyzed Elastin
    Hydrolyzed Collagen
    Hydrolyzed Silk
    Hydrolyzed Keratin
    Proteins: Humectants, conditioners
    Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed casein
    Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed collagen
    Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed hair keratin
    Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed keratin
    Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed rice protein
    Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed silk
    Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed soy protein
    Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed wheat protein
    Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl silk amino acids
    Cocoyl hydrolyzed collagen
    Cocoyl hydrolyzed keratin
    Hydrolyzed keratin
    Hydrolyzed oat flour
    Hydrolyzed silk
    Hydrolyzed silk protein
    Hydrolyzed soy protein
    Hydrolyzed wheat protein
    Hydrolyzed wheat protein
    Keratin
    Potassium cocoyl hydrolyzed collagen
    TEA-cocoyl hydrolyzed collagen
    TEA-cocoyl hydrolyzed soy protein

Also, this http://healthycurls.awardspace.com/protein.html is a good read on proteins.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Posts: 1,271Registered Users Curl Novice
    Also, all kinds of amino acids. They're basically broken up proteins.
  • jwortonjworton Posts: 196Registered Users
    Thank you!!!

What I like
    LLL Green Tea shampoo
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I noticed Joiwhip is one of the products you use and that has Keratin protein in it. Seems like you like it so maybe your hair isn't sensitive to Keratin.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • MintMint Posts: 1,143Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Excellent list, echokitten! Maybe there should be a sticky about different types of proteins and the symptoms of protein sensitivity.

Also, is hydrolyzed oat flour one of the "gentler" proteins? I'm protein sensitive and it didn't seem to bother me in [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Jessicurl's Too Shea[/buylink]! when I used it months ago. She says there are no proteins in her products too. Hmm. :scratch:

Ingredients:
    Water infused with Lemongrass, Nettle,Burdock,Kelp,Marshmallow Root,Horsetail,Basil,Bay Leaf,Oregano,Rosemary,Pepermint,Sage,and Thyme,Aloe Vera Juice, Behentrimonium Methosulfate and Cetearyl Alcohol, Shea Butter, Jojoba Oil, Avocado Oil, Letchin, Hydrolyzed Oat Flour,Fragrance, Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate.
    2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
  • echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    I took this directly from Jessicurl site:

"Hydrolyzed Oat Flour – All natural. Helps to thicken the formula and adds moisture to the hair. "

From ALBA=
    "Hydrolyzed oats
    Derived from oats; adds texture and thickens hair, soothes, softens, and nourishes. "

Also I know that the hydrolyzed oat flour isn't as bad as hydrolyzed protein. It's the same stuff used to make Aveeno products because it's a natural humectant. Oat flour - derived from oats, it stops itching, binds moisture, and soothes skin. Hydrolyzed - broken down into smaller molecules with water.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • MintMint Posts: 1,143Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    echokitten wrote:
    I took this directly from Jessicurl site:

"Hydrolyzed Oat Flour – All natural. Helps to thicken the formula and adds moisture to the hair. "

From ALBA=
    "Hydrolyzed oats
    Derived from oats; adds texture and thickens hair, soothes, softens, and nourishes. "

Also I know that the hydrolyzed oat flour isn't as bad as hydrolyzed protein. It's the same stuff used to make Aveeno products because it's a natural humectant. Oat flour - derived from oats, it stops itching, binds moisture, and soothes skin. Hydrolyzed - broken down into smaller molecules with water.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks! :icon_smile:
    2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
  • jwortonjworton Posts: 196Registered Users
    Magoo wrote:
    I noticed Joiwhip is one of the products you use and that has Keratin protein in it. Seems like you like it so maybe your hair isn't sensitive to Keratin.

Actually, I just keep forgetting to switch my signature line! :wink: Joiwhip is one of the products that made me realize my protein sensitivity. Now I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Gelebration-Spray-p-101.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-gelebration-spray]Jessicurl Gelebration spray[/buylink], Pantene curl scrunching mousse, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]Jessicurl Confident Coils[/buylink], and any hairspray that I can find w/o cones or proteins! After double checking the list, I believe Tresseme's hairspray checks out!

What I like
    LLL Green Tea shampoo
  • swirldropsswirldrops Posts: 152Registered Users

Hey echokitten, thanks so much for posting that link... an excellent read indeed! Great to have everything in one place.
    Type: Course & thick. According to everyone's input, 2c w/ 3a potential.
    Color: Brown w/ highlights & annoying grays which I color.
    Length: Past shoulders w/ layers.
    Issues: Dryness, knots & more dryness!
    Poo: Deva Lo-Poo 1 x week, Clarify 1-2 x month
    CO Wash: Suave Tropical Coconut (but looking for something else b/c I suspect protein issues)
    Condish: GVPCB, LVPNG
    Leave-Ins: Was loving KBB Milk & Nectar, but overused them. Usually just leave-in some of what I CO with.
    Styling: Biolage Gelee

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file