what features are important in a high chair?

webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
I think I'm ready to explore getting a high chair even though Lex is not eating food as yet.

Hubby thinks we should get a stoke and some sort of baby tablewear that straps to the table ( I've never heard of dishes that strap to the table, but whatever...)

I'm thinking ikea highchair with table that attaches to high chair.

Anyone have any practical ideas on what really works? I'm not even sure if the things that I want are even necessary.
hello.world.

Comments

• geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    We were limited on space (townhouse kitchen) and while we had a great Graco hand me down from my cousin, I ended up buying a highchair from Target. The Graco had such a huge footprint and would have been impractical for the weekends when we left our daughter with grandparents. I liked that the new one was--

Easy to clean (seat and tray)
    Foldable
    Lightweight
    Not too expensive ($25)

it didn't have certain features, like height adjustment, but that wasn't a huge deal anyway. We used the high chair for less than a year, so I didn't need something extravagant. If i had to buy all over again, I might have gone for the type of chair that connects to a dining chair so the kid can sit at the table. Otherwise, no complaints.

We're all looking for different things based on our households. My cousin's high chair was nice (and free is always a plus), but it didn't work in our kitchen. What features do you think would work best for you?
  • realisticrealistic Registered Users Posts: 2,222 Curl Novice
    gemini wrote:
    We were limited on space (townhouse kitchen) and while we had a great Graco hand me down from my cousin, I ended up buying a highchair from Target. The Graco had such a huge footprint and would have been impractical for the weekends when we left our daughter with grandparents. I liked that the new one was--

Easy to clean (seat and tray)
    Foldable
    Lightweight
    Not too expensive ($25)

it didn't have certain features, like height adjustment, but that wasn't a huge deal anyway. We used the high chair for less than a year, so I didn't need something extravagant. If i had to buy all over again, I might have gone for the type of chair that connects to a dining chair so the kid can sit at the table. Otherwise, no complaints.

We're all looking for different things based on our households. My cousin's high chair was nice (and free is always a plus), but it didn't work in our kitchen. What features do you think would work best for you?

OMG-so true. This is what ended up being most important. Highchairs get sooo gross.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
    how long do kids stay in a high chair anyway? A couple of years I hope (can you tell I know zip about kids).

if it's less than that, it may make more sense for me to get something that converts for several years. I would get one of those table attachment thingys but my table is kinda expensive and I'd hate to ruin it with attachments.

Edited to add: my dining chairs are leather and I don't want to ruin those either.
    hello.world.
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    We did not really want to take up the room with a high chair so we got the Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster.

pTRU1-2789492reg.jpg

We used it from 6 months till about 3 years (he still fits in it, but we've moved to a smaller, lighter booster).

At first we used the tray. Then when he got bigger we used it as a booster seat and moved it closer to the table. It has adjustable height, is portable and easily cleanable. If you had to, you could throw the whole thing in the tub and hose it off.

The only cons I could see
    1) No recline. Not an issue for us because I personally believe that if a baby can't sit upright, then they have no business eating yet.
    2) Tray is a bit smaller than traditional chairs.You can't fit a full-sized dinner plate on it (not an issue for us) and you might want more room if you have a baby doing things like play-doh or paints in a high chair.

For us the advantages outweighed the disadvantages. We will be using it again for #2.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    We have the same one Geeky posted. Actually we have two - one that we keep in the car for when we go out and the other that is in the kitchen. It sits on an Ikea kitchen chair and not one of our regular dining chairs.

We started using it when DS started solids at 7 months or so with the tray. Now (at 2) we pull it up to the table without a tray. Half the time he insists on sitting on a regular chair at the table and doesn't do too badly there either.

I thought that having a tray that fits in the dishwasher would be useful, but in the end I always just quickly washed it by hand since we would use it 3-4 times a day.

I like a booster chair that is easy to shake out and wipe down. To me, to many frillies and cushions just means more places for food to hide.
  • geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    Webbie, my daughter was in a high chair from about 7 mos. old through a little over a year old (15 mos. maybe?) She sits at our table and eats with us now. She probably needs a booster seat, but at this point, if I introduced a booster, I have a feeling she'd protest. :laughing9: I also have a child size chair and table for her in the kitchen for the times when she eats or snacks alone (or if she is playing with play-do) :).
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Some people don't like highchairs at all, but I really liked them. It made a designated eating place for the kid and kept their messes pretty-well confined. I prefer a highchair with wheels...they're safer. Kids can't kick themselves over when their highchair is on wheels. I also prefer one that is adjustable in height, and becomes a youth chair after they no longer need the tray.

I'm sure there are other models these days, but I loved my Peg Perego Prima Pappa. My youngest sat in it for every meal as a youth chair til he was 6 years old. It was expensive (about $160), but I used it through 2 kids and it still looked new and I sold it for $50 when it was 7 years old. They hold their value. I found the tray easy to clean...just rinsed it in the sink after each meal. I took it outside and hosed the whole thing off every couple of weeks.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
    We have this one

4107C5C0CRL._SS260_.jpg

I like the recline feature, even though DS is exclusively breast fed. We don't have a bouncy seat or anything like that, so from a young age, he sat in the seat with us at the table for meals. Now that he is more active, we have some tray toys that he loves. The tray is easy to remove and clean. Once he starts eating, I think it will continue to work well. I also like that it is portable and it converts to a booster.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    I haven't read everyone's post but here's what i have learned... make sure you get a highchair that fold for storage after you're done with it and need to store it until the next baby comes along.. our high chair we had with max you had to take the legs off to store it if you didn't have room to leave it up well needless to say now we can't find the legs and it's driving us crazy
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Easy to clean! I hate when food gets trapped under the cushion and in the little grooves of the plastic. Yuck!

It's never occurred to me to take the high chair out of the house so I don't care if it's portable or foldable or whatever.

No, I wouldn't want anything that hangs off the side of the table!
  • tashtash Registered Users Posts: 112
    when we got ours (right when she started solids at 6 months) the most important thing was something that she could sit in and play with her food/watch us while we ate. and be strapped in saftly the whole time. now (at nearly 2) the most importnant thing is that she is strapped in so she can't get down without getting her hands de-stickified :lol:

I like ours because when she was smaller we could use the tray and it fit perfectly with our table. now that she is bigger and wants to join us at the table we can just lower the seat and pull her up to the table.

now that we are at grandmas we are using a booster that ties to the chair. I like that it is small so its easy to store at gradma's, but I don't like that its harder to clean around since there is space between her seat and the chair.
    2b/c with some 1 and 3a tendencies. fine-medium, still searching for the HG..... Hair Bio
    Just so you know, I ended up purchasing the Guether Filo High Chair. I thought about it, and I'd rather spend a little more on a chair that grows with him and is nice enough for a guest to sit in if I need extra seating. It was really easy to put together, and most importantly, the little guy digs it.
    hello.world.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    I have this one for at homepTRUCA1-3671532dt.jpg

I just put a towel underneath so the upholstery doesn't tear or get stained. The back comes off so that it becomes a booster.

I have this one for when we're on the road. It's great for times when we're at friends' homes or at a restaurant that doesn't have high chairs.

pTRUCA1-3673479dt.jpg
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • rainshowerrainshower Registered Users Posts: 4,420
    can't remember the brand name, but our kids had a high chair that was convertible so that you could pull the chair out of the square base and they could just sit in it on the floor. the base converted into an activity table with a reversible table top that the kids could play on on one side, and color and draw on on the other side. the tray was easy to snap into the sides of the base. simple clamp buckles are what kept baby from sliding out of the chair.

it had a baby warner bros. characters theme on it. and it was easy to clean.

this isn't it, but it's the closest thing that i've found to what our kids used: http://www.parenting-weblog.com/50226711/combi_transition_convertible_high_chair.php
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    webjockey wrote: »
    Just so you know, I ended up purchasing the Guether Filo High Chair. I thought about it, and I'd rather spend a little more on a chair that grows with him and is nice enough for a guest to sit in if I need extra seating. It was really easy to put together, and most importantly, the little guy digs it.

natural or red? very stylish high chair. how did you find it?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    Windflower wrote: »
    webjockey wrote: »

natural or red? very stylish high chair. how did you find it?

I heard about it on babble.com while researching the Stokke Trip Trap. I originally wanted the Guether Familiy high chair version because it came in the dark wood color that would match my furniture but 1) it's much more expensive, and 2) it didn't seem as sturdy and nice. The Filou was cheaper and DH likes the smoother look. I purchased it in natural.
    hello.world.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file