Looking for color treatment...

Jeannie_LJeannie_L Posts: 73Registered Users
Ok, I have been transitioning for about two years now. My hair is all natural, virgin. I was thinking of coloring but was afraid of making it dry again from when I used to relax. Can anybody recommend any kind of color products made for our type of hair? I was at the beauty supply this week and asked one of the girls for help. I eventually left the store empty-handed after hearing her confusing stories about bleaching my dark hair versus applying color to dark hair. Help!

Comments

• BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    Hi Jeannie.

I'm a little confused. Do you still have some relaxed hair? If you do, two chemical processes is rough on your hair. You might want to wait until it's all grown out. That would probably be the safest thing.

Also, what are you hoping to accomplish with hair color? Are you covering gray? Do you want to go lighter? If yes, how much?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • Jeannie_LJeannie_L Posts: 73Registered Users
    No, every strand is virgin. I have been transitioning for 2 years so far. My last cut was about 7 months ago. I was planning on going a little lighter than my natural base but not too much. Highlights might do it but I don't want to bleach. Still not sure what to do yet. :cheese:
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you lighten your hair color, you are essentially using bleach (peroxide and/or ammonia, etc) anyway to lift the color. Highlights would be safer, you don't need to bleach them super light, just lighter than you want them to be and then tone them (or not, if you like the way they bleach). You could also just add a nice tone to your hair with something gentle like Color by Robert Craig--you could warm up your current color, add some red, etc. HTH
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    Thanks. Your curls are georgeous. do you have any recent pictures?
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    How about Henna? The result photos from the Henna thread are pretty cool.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    Jeannie_L wrote:
    Thanks. Your curls are georgeous. do you have any recent pictures?
    Me? Thanks! :) The latest ones I posted are the last ones in the devacut album, after the last cut.
    Suburbanbushbabe, I'll take a look at the forum thread for that topic. Thanks for the suggestion. :cat:
  • midwestcurlsmidwestcurls Posts: 9Registered Users
    My stylist is using a demi-permanent color on my hair. The one he's using is Shades EQ by Redken. It gradually washes out in 6 weeks. It has some ammonia but not a lot. The difference with it is that I have to sit under the dryer to make it work. Regular color treatments don't require that step. It covers my gray and I've been pretty happy with it.
    3b ringlets, very fine texture, chin length
    My stylist is using a demi-permanent color on my hair. The one he's using is Shades EQ by Redken. It gradually washes out in 6 weeks. It has some ammonia but not a lot. The difference with it is that I have to sit under the dryer to make it work. Regular color treatments don't require that step. It covers my gray and I've been pretty happy with it.
    That's why I prefer RC's Color, no ammonia, it's more gentle and works better for me. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file