I no longer want one --

KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
I have really been considering a mini-face lift lately. I guess turning 48 next Tuesday has me kinda feeling OLD. :laughing9: ....That is, until today. I happened to be in the kitchen cooking with the TV on (waiting for Dr. Phil) and I happened to see General Hospital. Now, I haven't been a soap opera fan for a LONG TIME (since when my kids were little) so I haven't seen these actresses in about 20 years; but I do remember what they USED to look like.

The actresses who played Bobbie Spencer (Jacklyn Zeman) and Monica Quartermaine (Leslie Ann Charleson) were in a scene together. At first, it didn't even register in my brain who these two women were. They both had grotesquely stretched faces and blubbery fat lips. When I realized that they were both my age (maybe a couple of years older) and looked THAT GROTESQUELY FREAKISH, I decided right then and there that I'm going to age naturally (hopefully gracefully).

From now on, whenever I get that urge to go under the knife, I'm just going to turn on General Hospital and remind myself that I'd rather have a few wrinkles and a turkey neck than to look like that! GOBBLE, GOBBLE!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Actors seem to all get that weird big-fake-cheekbones-fake-lips look. I think a little nip and tuck can do wonders for an aging face if you don't go overboard like that. When my time comes, I'm planning an upper eyelid lift and a neck lift only. I'll live with the rest of the wrinkles, but the eyes and neck bother me for some reason.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A lot of them look like fish with cheekbones. If I was every going to get my face done, I would want Barbara Wawa's surgeon. She is oooooldddd, and her face looks very good.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    A lot of them look like fish with cheekbones. If I was every going to get my face done, I would want Barbara Wawa's surgeon. She is oooooldddd, and her face looks very good.

Diane Sawyer, too! She's in her sixties and still looks amazing. But most of those soap opera stars (Susan Lucci included) are starting to look....well, .....BAZAAR!
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.

:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:
    KurlyKarenLee

• munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    IThe actresses who played Bobbie Spencer (Jacklyn Zeman) and Monica Quartermaine (Leslie Ann Charleson) were in a scene together.

I have gotten back into GH the last year or so. I saw the scene you are talking about because I thought the same thing. Jacklyn Zeman's is the worst, though Leslie Ann Charleson's isn't great either.

I still want a mini facelift. . . one of the ones you are in and out the same day. They mainly seem to take care of jowls which is what I want. As long as they don't pull my mouth like those two on GH!!
    3b/c
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    having just gone through surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff i can tell you it is no picnic. i cannot imagine subjecting myself to any kind of surgery without a really good reason. i am 58 and i see my age now much more than a couple yrs ago. yup, wrinkles happen, the neck looks old, the whole deal. funny thing happened at the hospital. i am sitting there in the hospital gown with the blue bouffant cap covering up my great hair day hair-a standard 58 yr old woman with no makeup on and an un surgieried face. the YOUNG anesthesiologist is assessing my health and asks when was the last time i climbed up 2 flights of stairs. i told him i climbed up mt washington on aug 29 (6288 ft, NH) he got all excited and asked which route i went up, we talked about the white mts. all of a sudden i was a person and not just a middle aged woman having surgery. my resting pulse rate is 59 and my blood pressure is 96 over 61. i've been spending the last week resting up from the surgery and will have my arm in a sling till jan 08. today i went for a short hike with my DH and all 3 dogs, it felt so good to be outside. to me this is what makes me young, not having a perfect unlined face. i want a working shoulder so i can carry my pack and swim across the lake. yes i color my hair. otherwise-i plan to keep it as simple as i can...
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
  • MaloryMalory Posts: 379Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree that being healthy and active is what makes you look young.

My MIL (who is in her mid-50s) once told me that she noticed that people who look young are always sort of fidgeting and constantly looking around, whereas people who look old just kind of stand still and don't move or look around much.

She then did a demonstration where she just stood still and stared straight ahead, with her head slightly drooping, and suddenly she looked at least looked ten years older and tireder, and I could see all the lines in her face, which I couldn't see before. It was amazing. I'm sorry it's hard to portray in words on a message board.
    banjocurl wrote:
    having just gone through surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff i can tell you it is no picnic. i cannot imagine subjecting myself to any kind of surgery without a really good reason. i am 58 and i see my age now much more than a couple yrs ago. yup, wrinkles happen, the neck looks old, the whole deal. funny thing happened at the hospital. i am sitting there in the hospital gown with the blue bouffant cap covering up my great hair day hair-a standard 58 yr old woman with no makeup on and an un surgieried face. the YOUNG anesthesiologist is assessing my health and asks when was the last time i climbed up 2 flights of stairs. i told him i climbed up mt washington on aug 29 (6288 ft, NH) he got all excited and asked which route i went up, we talked about the white mts. all of a sudden i was a person and not just a middle aged woman having surgery. my resting pulse rate is 59 and my blood pressure is 96 over 61. i've been spending the last week resting up from the surgery and will have my arm in a sling till jan 08. today i went for a short hike with my DH and all 3 dogs, it felt so good to be outside. to me this is what makes me young, not having a perfect unlined face. i want a working shoulder so i can carry my pack and swim across the lake. yes i color my hair. otherwise-i plan to keep it as simple as i can...

That's great, Banjo! I hope you're feeling better soon. Those are about the numbers I usually run. When I went in for a "basement remodel" last February, the nurse took my pulse/blood pressure several times to make sure she was reading it right. Finally, the dr on call came in and asked if I was a runner. When I told him yes, that I jog and work out. He said I had an "athletes heart rate." I've never been called an athlete in my LIFE!! It felt so good!

My 81 year old mother still plays golf several times a week. She'll go out and play 18 holes of golf then come home and mow the lawn. She's never had a facelift --and never even worn sunscreen and she looks amazing for her age. I hope I'm like that.
    KurlyKarenLee

• g-stringrannyg-stringranny Posts: 2,701Registered Users
    Malory wrote:
    I agree that being healthy and active is what makes you look young.

My MIL (who is in her mid-50s) once told me that she noticed that people who look young are always sort of fidgeting and constantly looking around, whereas people who look old just kind of stand still and don't move or look around much.

She then did a demonstration where she just stood still and stared straight ahead, with her head slightly drooping, and suddenly she looked at least looked ten years older and tireder, and I could see all the lines in her face, which I couldn't see before. It was amazing. I'm sorry it's hard to portray in words on a message board.

I know what you are talking about. I read once that there was this older woman who looked many years younger than she really was. She was very animated & had a sparkle in her eyes. She went to a party and a hypnotist was the entertainment. When he hypnotized her & her body went limp, she looked years older. Her friends were surprised.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
  • cara4curlscara4curls Posts: 336Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    After reading banjo's post about her recent surgery I have to agree with her - surgery is still surgery, no matter whether it's on the face, or her shoulder situation, with all the attendant risks. The tendency of media to portray rejuvenative facial surgery as just another beauty treatment is glossing over the real facts about surgery - there's cutting, sewing, risk of infection, post-operative pain and the healing process! BTW, banjo, sending healing vibes your way, and good luck!
    Anyhow, while there's nothing wrong with wanting to look good, and the fact that there are numerous people out there who have excellent facial surgery done, there are lots of others who have either had the proverbial "bad plastic surgery", or they've just simply had too much, period. Then this ventures into just plain scary territory.
    For myself, I'm not even in the market for such anyway. I can only consider myself fortunate in that I have a good bone structure in my face, and not many wrinkles(normal to oily skin, plus genetics accounts for that). The sunspots, well, that's another story!
    I agree with the opinion that those who fidget or otherwise move around alot appear younger too. I'm always fidgeting!
    There are so many factors that go into whether someone appears "old" or not. A few I'll mention here:
    Whites of the eyes - yes, having clear, sparkling whites of the eyes indicates that you are health-conscious and been eating a clean diet for a good while, and that your liver is doing its job. Conversely, blood-shot, dull eyes will make you look older. The sparkle comes from interest in life, and native intelligence, so cultivate these!
    Posture - this is a real biggie, IMO. If someone has an erect posture, and a spring in their step, likely resulting from consistent exercise and having some energy, they look younger than someone who is hunched over with that dreaded "dowager's hump" and never gets out of their chair.
    The presence or absence of sunspots - yes, this is a real biggie for skin. Studies have found that people shown pictures of the same relatively wrinkle-free woman with or without sunspots always said that the woman with sunspots appeared up to 20 years older than she actually was! The good news is that these days one can do something about the sunspots with Rx skincare, and even IPL if one can afford that part. So, for you much younger folks out there, wear that sunblock - it's the number one thing you can do for your skin for anti-aging. For those of us who are much older, there basically weren't any decent sunblocks around, plus it really wasn't known just how much damage the sun can do to the skin.
    About the sunspot treatment thing though, once you get onto that, unprotected sun exposure is a thing of the past, and you really do have to practice religious sun avoidance, hard for outdoor types, or otherwise your sunspots come right back that you've worked hard to get rid of.
    Personal vibrancy - another huge one! Keeping interested in life, Learning new things, appropriate travel and hobbies, keeping in touch with friends both far and near all help. Cultivate and maintain that inquiring mind! Most of all, do not succumb to the negative aging stereotypes out there. For this, you might have to just turn off your TV, and limit your exposure to mainstream media to do this successfully(the voice of experience in this speaks here).
    Lastly, the state on one's health plus genetics to a certain degree will influence how you age, so the good health habits are always a good idea to implement, no matter how young you are, short-term(you'll feel better pretty soon and likely drop unnecessary weight), and long-term(good health in old age, and the ability to live independently as long as possible).
    health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    cara4curls wrote:
    process! BTW, banjo, sending healing vibes your way, and good luck!

thanks-much better now!

Posture - this is a real biggie, IMO. If someone has an erect posture, and a spring in their step, likely resulting from consistent exercise and having some energy, they look younger than someone who is hunched over with that dreaded "dowager's hump" and never gets out of their chair.
    Personal vibrancy - another huge one! Keeping interested in life, Learning new things, appropriate travel and hobbies, keeping in touch with friends both far and near all help. Cultivate and maintain that inquiring mind! Most of all, do not succumb to the negative aging stereotypes out there. For this, you might have to just turn off your TV, and limit your exposure to mainstream media to do this successfully(the voice of experience in this speaks here).
    Lastly, the state on one's health plus genetics to a certain degree will influence how you age, so the good health habits are always a good idea to implement, no matter how young you are, short-term(you'll feel better pretty soon and likely drop unnecessary weight), and long-term(good health in old age, and the ability to live independently as long as possible).

for sure-right on cara! i have some 80+ friends that i hike with who are extremely vibrant and love the outdoors. good role models for me. i think the key is the vibrance. someone who is vibrant looks better even with wrinkles and sunspots than some plastic surgeried elegantly coiffed person with no life in them. i am actually hiking again on woods roads with the dogs--went out for 3 hrs today!!
    banjo
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    having just gone through surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff i can tell you it is no picnic. i cannot imagine subjecting myself to any kind of surgery without a really good reason.

How did you mess up your shoulder? Not swimming I hope...

I agree that surgery is harder on older folks, and healing is slower. I had ankle reconstruction surgery at 40, and I was amazed at how much slower I healed than in my younger days. I assume it gets progressively slower. The bone doc kept me in a cast for 10 weeks, rather than the traditional 8, because I was over 40.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file