What's your Day 2 routine?

HeatherNicoleHeatherNicole Posts: 1,316Registered Users
Mastering 2nd and 3rd day hair is quite the challenge. My cousin (another natural) asked me one day when we got into a hair discussion b/c she's trying to figure out how to work with her hair more. "Do you wash your hair everyday?" And I said "No I don't even CO wash my hair everyday. I just style it and leave it for a few days" and then she asked "Well do you get your hair wet in the shower?" And I laughed cause it seemed like a silly question and responded "Yeah that's usually where I fluff my hair. I just wet my hands and run them over my hair several times while I encourage the flat parts to pop"

That's when I realized everyone doesn't do their second day hair the same. I also realized this when I looked at SBB's routine for 2nd and 3rd day hair.

So what do ya'll do to get your 2nd day hair?
Thick coarse 3c/4a prone to dryness.
Staples
Aphogee 2 Step treatment
Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm
Tigi MM Conditioner
Creme of Nature Shampoo for dry hair
KCCC
Denman D3
Giovanni Direct Leave-in
SheaMoisture Leave-in
http://public.fotki.com/MsHeatherNicole/

"Make it work!"- Tim Gunn

Comments

• motherearthamothereartha Posts: 355Registered Users
    wow, i'm in your cousin's category! i've had 2nd day hair (wash n gos) only when i went to a professional where they loaded my hair with product. thanks for the fluffing tip. i was wondering what curlynikki meant by that assuming it's the same technique..my hair is so flat the next day. especially the back. i'll have to try wetting my hands and unsmooshing/matting the back. and i'll check out sbb's technique as well. thanks.
    thick, kinky, nappy, hair w/ dashes of curls
    pw: bearhair
  • curlynikkicurlynikki Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    At night I sleep in this really sexy satin bonnet :D In the morning, I fluff it out and go. That's it. I can usually do this for 2 to 3 days after a co-wash, but my ends start to get dry after day 2 (and I don't like to re-wet ro re-apply products...this creates MAJOR frizz), so I only have a day 3 if I was too lazy to W&G again.

hth
  • springyheadspringyhead Posts: 350Registered Users
    My 2nd day hair depends on what I did with it on the First:

I do it curlynikki style with a twistout: I use a moisturing agent if neccessary and wrap it at night, and fluff it in the morning. I usually don't have to add any water or other products to my hair for a week with a twistout, but frizz increases day by day. Although this style is the most carefree, i think it causes my hair to shed.

With a wash and go, its a heathernicole move:

I moisturize it at night with some moisturizing cream or pomade, tie it up, run my fingers through it with a little gel and water while in the shower the next morning, and go.

Someone told me that, at night, they wet their hair and pull in to afropuffs at night, tie up, and let the bands out in the morning. Has anyone had any luck with that strategy?
    4a, fine coils. low/med porosity. "It's springy. Like a slinky."--My Lil' Cousin

I use products on 90% dry hair.
    Wash: Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castille Soap.
    Conditioner: Tigi Bedhead Moisture Maniac/Suave Humectants
    Moisturizers: Long Aid
    Styler: Ecostyler Clear/ Vitamin E Oil
  • masscurlymasscurly Posts: 297Registered Users
    I think a lot of the success with 2nd day hair has to do with length and texture. If you hair is silkier or smoother as opposed to more porous, I believe it's easier to fluff and go. It also becomes a lot easier if you have some length because the fluffing process or misting process is a lot easier then when the hair is shorter and issues such as shrinkage or moisture are more pronounced. I find that with shorter hair, getting to the point of looking full and shaped requires more work than when i have more length and volume. Don't know for sure, but that's been my experience...

Happy Turkey Day Curlies...It's be :thumbright: en a while...
    Hair type: 4a/b...

Constantly seeking the perfect product combinations. I just want healthy and manageable hair!!!

Natural hair photo journey, starting October 2006: http://public.fotki.com/masscurly/
    password: healthyhair
  • freshkinkycutfreshkinkycut Posts: 111Registered Users
    The back of my hair gets wet while showering, so I just spritz the front with a
    little water. Then I apply a moisturizer (miss jessie's buttercreme, qp mango butter or something similar), fluff and go!
    Hairveda convert for 2009! :wave:
    http://public.fotki.com/freshkinkycut/

event.png

comic-p.jpg
  • teshonteshon Posts: 1,127Registered Users
    masscurly wrote:
    I think a lot of the success with 2nd day hair has to do with length and texture. If you hair is silkier or smoother as opposed to more porous, I believe it's easier to fluff and go. It also becomes a lot easier if you have some length because the fluffing process or misting process is a lot easier then when the hair is shorter and issues such as shrinkage or moisture are more pronounced. I find that with shorter hair, getting to the point of looking full and shaped requires more work than when i have more length and volume. Don't know for sure, but that's been my experience...

Happy Turkey Day Curlies...It's be :thumbright: en a while...

I think you made a good point. My hair is short about 6-7 inches. It seems like it really doesn't matter what I do. I wake up with the CONE head. Flat on the sides and a puff in the middle. :laughing9: I have tried the finger rewetting thing and I think it is pointless. Frizz city! The only way I can get 2nd day hair at this length is by over saturating my hair with a spritzer the day after co-wash. I have to wet it so much in order to puff it out again, I might as well had started over in the shower! Right now, I feel that it is way too much effort for me to get 2nd day hair to work when I can just rewet it instead of using 2-3 products. I may change my opinion on this when my hair is longer.
    3c-4a; Protein Sensitive(forms of wheat, keratin, soy and anything "hydrolyzed"). My hair hates coconut oil and jojoba oil(sometimes).
    http://photobucket.com/teshon PW: crazycurls
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/teshonandfamily

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file