TJ Refresh as a leave-in??

helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Has anyone tried this?

I've been trying to use up my bottle because it's not as moisturizing as I'd like for my hair. I even tried it with 2 drops of honey and it worked for a while...until it turned my hair into Frizz City, population: me. Well today I water washed and added refresh (about 2 quarters worth) to the length of my hair and combed through. Rinsed it out, squeezed out some of the excess water, and then added another quarters worth as a leave-in. (I usually use the sally's generic PM the condish as a leave-in, but figured it wouldnt hurt to experiment a bit). I then added another quarters worth of astroglide as my cheapie CK version and brushed through with my Denman brush then scrunched in some b&b curl creme (1 1/2 quarters worth on each side) I realized this was a product mistake because my hair felt so heavy and there was foam like none other on my brush. I tried to make the best of things and flipped my head right, left, and upside down to scrunch out what I could. It had the beginnings of a disaster so I figured it would just be a hair-up day and plopped for about 15 min. When I took off the towel, I was pretty surprised to see clumps :happy4: I thought I might be able to salvage it so I just sprayed loreal tightly wound spray gel and air dried. So far, the results are nice waves, not a lot of frizz, and the great scent of refresh lingering in my hair. Cons: my hair feels a bit producty but might be because I OD'd on the b&b creme.

Long post but pics from my phone are on my fotki.
2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/

Comments

• shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    i tried this the other day too, for the same reason! I didn't like it at all as a conditioner. I don't think i used enough of it as a leave-in when i tried it though. My problem is i can't stand the pungent orange smell, so its a no-go for me.
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

• swirldropsswirldrops Posts: 152Registered Users
    helloitsio, just had to jump in because the pics in your album dated 11/22/07 are gorgeous! You've got definition and sooo much shine and it just looks so healthy. Owwww, I'm jealous!

I noticed you used B&B. Is that the curl cream? Do you like it? I've been thinking about getting some but I haven't had much luck with B&B products before... And the La Bella? I've never heard of that.
    Type: Course & thick. According to everyone's input, 2c w/ 3a potential.
    Color: Brown w/ highlights & annoying grays which I color.
    Length: Past shoulders w/ layers.
    Issues: Dryness, knots & more dryness!
    Poo: Deva Lo-Poo 1 x week, Clarify 1-2 x month
    CO Wash: Suave Tropical Coconut (but looking for something else b/c I suspect protein issues)
    Condish: GVPCB, LVPNG
    Leave-Ins: Was loving KBB Milk & Nectar, but overused them. Usually just leave-in some of what I CO with.
    Styling: Biolage Gelee
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    swirldrops wrote:
    helloitsio, just had to jump in because the pics in your album dated 11/22/07 are gorgeous! You've got definition and sooo much shine and it just looks so healthy. Owwww, I'm jealous!

I noticed you used B&B. Is that the curl cream? Do you like it? I've been thinking about getting some but I haven't had much luck with B&B products before... And the La Bella? I've never heard of that.

Oh wow...thanks for the compliment! That made my day! :sunny: I use the B&B curl cream for thick hair. It's the white bottle with the black cap. I've tried the B&B cream for thin hair (white bottle and white cap) that is supposedly the best for wavies, but I just didn't like the results. Before I found NC.com, I was using the cream after my hair dried a bit. Lately, I've been putting the cream into soaking wet hair and adding the la bella gel afterwards. My gripe about the B&B is that it costs a pretty penny, it isn't entirely CG (it's got one water soluble cone and one that isn't), it can't be used alone (unless you want poofy hair), and too much can lead to greasy, producty-feeling hair. On the pro side, it smells great and it's very moisturizing. I've only been using it because I'm trying to get rid of my pre-NC.com products.

As for the la bella gel, it's alright. It's the La Bella Lots of Curls gel (pink). When I pair it with a cream styler it's not so bad. It gives pretty good clumps and good hold. However, I did try it on it's own one day with just TJ refresh as a leave-in and my hair felt really dry. I think the menthol in it might be the problem.

Sorry my reviews of the products aren't glowing. It's pretty much a fluke that the combo came out so well. If the B&B weren't so pricey, I might be tempted to get it since I 'poo at least 3 times a week. HTH!

• swirldropsswirldrops Posts: 152Registered Users
    You're so welcome! Thank YOU for the product input :wink: I just found B&B on eBay for a pretty decent price so I think I'm going to try. I think adding some cream product might help me. I've been using nothing but Biolage Gelee forever and my waves/curls either go too poofy and dry or crunchy and stringy... Anyway, thanks again!
    Type: Course & thick. According to everyone's input, 2c w/ 3a potential.
    Color: Brown w/ highlights & annoying grays which I color.
    Length: Past shoulders w/ layers.
    Issues: Dryness, knots & more dryness!
    Poo: Deva Lo-Poo 1 x week, Clarify 1-2 x month
    CO Wash: Suave Tropical Coconut (but looking for something else b/c I suspect protein issues)
    Condish: GVPCB, LVPNG
    Leave-Ins: Was loving KBB Milk & Nectar, but overused them. Usually just leave-in some of what I CO with.
    Styling: Biolage Gelee
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    swirldrops wrote:
    You're so welcome! Thank YOU for the product input :wink: I just found B&B on eBay for a pretty decent price so I think I'm going to try. I think adding some cream product might help me. I've been using nothing but Biolage Gelee forever and my waves/curls either go too poofy and dry or crunchy and stringy... Anyway, thanks again!

No problem! I'm a fan of cream products. My hair feels too dry with just gel and I like the softness a cream gives.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file