How do you do a strand test?

jillipoojillipoo Registered Users Posts: 3,795 Curl Neophyte
I'm just about to try some Robert Craig on my hair (I'm scared to death, to be honest -- I have had my hair colored in a salon for so many years, I haven't had to be responsible for my color, and I've kinda liked it that way!)

Anyway, I ordered two different colors because I'm very unsure of how it'll come out (I took everyone's advice on this forum and ordered colors that are lighter than what I think I need!). I know I'm supposed to strand test, but I really don't know how to do that.

After I mix the color, do I apply it to a lock of hair somewhere on my head that can't really be seen by others? Or do I really apply it to one strand? (That can't be right, can it?) Do I waste a whole box on a strand test or does Robert Craig stay potent enough once mixed that I can wait for the results of the strand test and then proceed to apply the rest to my head?

Sorry to be dense, but I just really don't know how to proceed!
3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
Twitter: nopoojillipoo

Comments

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    I hope this isn't too late. Read the directions in the package for a strand test-- you only mix a very small amount to do the test, not the whole bottle. It will not last that long (1 hr max, best strength is in the first 15 min). Mix a little bit and apply to an inconspicuous area, about a 1/2 inch strand (not one!) or so. It has to be enough that you can judge the color results. You can clip that section to separate or wrap with plastic wrap. When you need to check the color, you can wipe off with a dry paper towel and kind of dry the strand. But if you don't have enough color to reapply to the strand if you need more time, try to wring out the color and save it instead of wiping away with the towel. Make sense?

You can either mix a bit of each color and do two separate strands at once, or mix them, or whatever you are trying to do. :) Be sure to note your time for when you apply to the rest. If you have gray to cover, apply to the roots and gray areas first, then only apply to the rest for the last 15 min or whatever your strand test determines. HTH Good luck!
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • jillipoojillipoo Registered Users Posts: 3,795 Curl Neophyte
    Oh, CurliLocks, what would we do without you?? Thank you so much for this. I know it will help me. (And I didn't realize the box had instructions for a strand test -- that will probably help, too!) My color should arrive in about a week, I'm thinking, so your advice is definitely not too late.

Thanks!
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl

OK, I took the "just about to color" a little too literally! :oops: :P That's good though. I didn't realize you didn't have the box or instructions, duh! Sorry.

So you got brave and decided to do it yourself? Last I heard, you were thinking of the salon that uses the Color. Good for you though! It's not that hard and if you strand test, there should be no unpleasant surprises. :)
    Oh, and the Color gets here very quickly actually! You can color before Thanksgiving! :D
  • jillipoojillipoo Registered Users Posts: 3,795 Curl Neophyte
    woo hoo!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file