FX Special Effects Curl Booster Fixative Gel

earcmraearcmra Posts: 146Registered Users
I love this gel! I've seen it in two other siggies too, so I think that other curlies are starting to use it. I have fine/thin hair, but I like a gel with a strong hold. This one gives great hold with just a little crunch that easily scrunches out. I've been using it for about two weeks and have had great results!

It is a very hard-bodied gel (not runny at all) but I just rub it between my hands and it distributes pretty easily.

You can get it at Rite-Aid, Walgreens, etc. for about $5. It comes in a bright yellow bottle with a gray and purple lid.

I'm not an ingredient junkie, but I think that it would be acceptable for most curly "diets." Here's the list:

Water, PVP K 90, PVP/VA Copolymer, VP/DMAPA Acrylates Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, PVP MA, Mica, DMDM Hydantoin, Aminomethyl Propanol, Fragrance. May contain: FD&C Yellow #5, FD&C Red #40, FD&C Blue #1.

Comments

• EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    :thumbright: :thumbleft:

Yippee, another convert!

ETA: Yes, it's CG-safe from what I can see. No silicones, no polyquats, no waxes, no mineral oil, no drying alcohol, no clay, & it even contains no proteins!
  • tschocktschock Posts: 101Registered Users
    I just picked some of this up yesterday at the drugstore. I used if for the first time this morning. I'll have to wait and see how it goes throughout the day, but so far I think I like it. I like the texture of it....it was easy to distribute through my hair. I diffused a bit, so my hair is almost dry now. It doesn't seem to have any crunch...which is a good thing! I hate gels that leave my hair crunchy!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a good hair day!
    2c, thick & coarse
    Inverted curly bob
    Modified CG
  • latetocurlslatetocurls Posts: 127Registered Users
    I used this a couple of days ago and though it wasn't crunchy or producty, it didn't seem to hold my hair. By the end of the day my curls weree drooping. I used two (or three) dime-sized amounts. My hair is the length it is in my avatar. Maybe I didn't use enough?
    Laura

Fine, 3A, but a lot of it.

http://public.fotki.com/latetocurls/

PW: Curly
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    This was the first product I ever used for curly hair and still one of my favorites! :cheers:
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rosannarosannadannarosannarosannadanna Posts: 109Registered Users
    I bought the whole line a couple of months back and found that it made my hair feel dry and really hard.

Hmm, I wonder if I still have it around or if I threw it all away? Could put it up for a swap if I have it. Will have to look in the morning.
    "Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. Our goals should be health (and) stamina." - Emme Aronson

3A short inverted bob, auburn with red highlights colored hair
    Fine, but lots of it

Yes to Cucumbers Color Care shampoo and conditioner, AOMMJ, KCCC, CJCIAB, CJRP, CJBCLI, CJCR.
    I bought the whole line a couple of months back and found that it made my hair feel dry and really hard.

UGH, Even I, a modified CG, wouldn't use their whole line! That's probably why your hair felt dry & hard. You used their other products that contain all the bad stuff. :pale:

The gel alone contains NO silicones, NO proteins, NO polyquats, NO mineral oil, NO waxes, NO drying alcohols. I think the mousse is the same way.
  • tycho19tycho19 Posts: 805Registered Users
    Are we still liking this? I'm running low on gel and may try this next.
    2B/2C wavy
    Don't Breed and Buy While Shelter Dogs Die - Adopt your next best friend!
  • LizaMarzLizaMarz Posts: 193Registered Users
    I was using this for a little while a month or so ago. and I agree it was pretty good. I think I just need to use something else with it.... and I didn't use it enough to really get a good read on it. I did have to use a lot of it though and the bottle was a bit annoying LOL. I am going to try it again soon maybe over some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink]? what are you all using with it? thanks!
    3A, started CG 9/8/06
    trader joe's nourish spa s&c, giovanni la natural gel
  • allie95allie95 Posts: 74Registered Users
    I really wanted to like this because of the raves I saw here, but this gel just didn't hold my hair at all. I can't figure it out! Just wasn't impressed.
    2c who can't seem to find enough moisture! Trying to figure this out once and for all 7 years after going CG!
  • curlsgirlcurlsgirl Posts: 104Registered Users
    I tried this the other day again because I used to LOVE it but I used it over [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink] and it was AWFUL. My hair looked worse than it had in a long time. I was so glad to wash it out! Maybe it was something else I did but I don't think so. My hair was frizzy, undefined and unruly!
    3a M iii waist stretched and growing :)
    newpics2-2.jpg
  • JLRcurlyJLRcurly Posts: 245Registered Users
    Yes this is one of my favorites, It compairs very well to Angell I think. Smells very clean as well.

I use it a few times a week, apply to very wet hair.
    JEN :hello2:3b, currently bored with my hair.
  • CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    I'm very anti-gel, so I wasn't expecting miracles when I tried this. Aaand. . . No miracles. Crunchy and limp. And the crunch? Couldn't be scrunched. I threw it in the back of my product closet after one use.
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
    I haven't used it since last fall, which is the time my hair goes stupid when anything is used on it. :roll: It was my holy grail for years. I might go back to it when it dries out around these desert parts, and if I ever get done with my other gels. I also have creams/cremes to use up, & a mousse, hair spray, styling lotion, straightening gel & cream/creme that's ages old. I don't go through much styling product. More & more I'm a leave-in conditioner only type person. Now those I buy & use like candy!

ETA: I forgot to say why I loved it! :oops: It gave me the best curl & clump-enhancing, hold, shine & softness I've ever seen in a product without the product feel. I have fine 3a hair.
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    CurlyEyes wrote: »
    I'm very anti-gel, so I wasn't expecting miracles when I tried this. Aaand. . . No miracles. Crunchy and limp. And the crunch? Couldn't be scrunched. I threw it in the back of my product closet after one use.

I get no crunch from this stuff. How much did you use? I use only about two marble-sized plops in my shoulder length hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
    Brio wrote: »
    CurlyEyes wrote: »

I get no crunch from this stuff. How much did you use? I use only about two marble-sized plops in my shoulder length hair.

I couldn't feel it distributing through my hair, so I kept adding more. Plus, it was really hard to get out of the bottle, so once I got out a ton, it seemed a shame to waste all that hard work.

• jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This gel gives me consistently decent results and is, so far, my favorite gel. Some crunch but easily scrunched.

I remember a posting a while back, though, where people were talking about how the consistency of this gel varies widely -- some people got bottles with runny gel, others got bottles where the contents were thick and gloppy. So, for those of you who experienced some problems, maybe you got a bad bottle? (I know -- there shouldn't be any variation at all in a good product but life is imperfect....) The bottle I bought dispenses a creamy golden gel. :)

I use the same amount as Brio (and have about the same length hair). For the price, this gel is a real find for me.
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    jillipoo wrote: »
    This gel gives me consistently decent results and is, so far, my favorite gel. Some crunch but easily scrunched.

I remember a posting a while back, though, where people were talking about how the consistency of this gel varies widely -- some people got bottles with runny gel, others got bottles where the contents were thick and gloppy. So, for those of you who experienced some problems, maybe you got a bad bottle? (I know -- there shouldn't be any variation at all in a good product but life is imperfect....) The bottle I bought dispenses a creamy golden gel. :)

I use the same amount as Brio (and have about the same length hair). For the price, this gel is a real find for me.

Same here on consistency.

I've probably bought 3-4 bottles of this stuff over the years. It's always a thick, creamy golden gel with some mica shimmer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
    Mine has always been the same consistency. It's always been on the thick side. I'd like to find some of the thinner stuff because maybe then it'd be easier to dispense from the hard plastic container. That should be recyclable by the way.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Does anyone know if this gel is being discontinued? The only reason I ask is because it was deeply discounted at my local Safeway today, down to 3 dollars and change. I think it's normally over 6 dollars. The store carries the other products in this line, but only this gel was super-discounted. I bought 2 just in case.....:confused1:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't think it's being discontinued. I think it's just not being sold in certain stores anymore. None of my three local Wal*Mart stores sell it now. I've only been able to find it at Walgreen's & Rite Aid.
  • InfraredheadInfraredhead Posts: 335Registered Users
    This is one of my top favorite "blending" gels. It seems to work with everything and I rarely have any kind of build up from it. Walgreens and CVS has it on sale all the time with the buy one, get one free deal. Can't beat that! Plus it just looks darn cool putting it in your hand with the little sparklies in it. :wink:
    Mod CG since April of 2007.
  • CurlyBratCurlyBrat Posts: 445Registered Users
    I think I've found my first HG!!!

I bought this stuff yesterday morning after seeing it in a few siggies on here, and thought what the heck. So... this morning I co-washed with Suave Naturals - Tropical Coconut, rinsed completely... put a dab of co back in my hands and just ran it lightly through the ends only of my hair. Then I put in half a pump of Biotera Curl Creme and raked it through... (at this point I'm already seeing good curls forming.. hooraaaay my hair is so much healthier already!)
    Then I squeezed... and I mean SQUEEZED out about a nickel/quarter sized blob... er... line of this gel and thought to myself... oh H**L no this isn't gonna work. Can you say toothpaste is thinner?!?
    So I rub it between my hands... and rake it through my hair... O-M-G. My curls are so clumped and bouncy and I didn't get a single bit of crunch. I was actually looking forward to scrunching it out... but when I put my hands up to scrunch... nothing but soft springy-ness...

I think I've found a HG!!!!

Tomorrow.. it will probably not work at all... LOL!
    3a/b thin/fine
    fotki PW: curls
    updated 5/1/2010 "starting over"

Routine:
    don't even HAVE a "routine" at the moment...
    HG: still GVP Conditioning Balm and Biotera Gel/CC
    Experimentals: HE TMS Spray Gel, LOOB

Riot Crrl: "Revenge is a dish best served with a side of awesome hair."

• tycho19tycho19 Posts: 805Registered Users
    I've been using it for about a week and a half now and I am really liking it. It doesnt dry with a "plasticy" crunch like some gels do and I get good curl/wave and clumping.
    2B/2C wavy
    Don't Breed and Buy While Shelter Dogs Die - Adopt your next best friend!
    I am sorry for any mean thing I have ever said about this gel. I love this stuff!

After several bad hair days, I decided that our brief winter was over and I needed new products. And this gel was sitting right in front of me.

I scrunched in some curl cream, scrunched in lots of gel, and plopped for 30 minutes. I then pineappled and went to sleep, and this morning, my curls are well-defined and I have no frizz.

If it was possible to marry a hair product, this would be the one.

• jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    LOL! Well, glad to hear you had success with it, however belated. I really like it, too, especially as it is so readily available and inexpensive so if you're traveling or something and forgot to pack gel (although who among us would do that?), you can always grab some of this at a drugstore and know you'll be fine.
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
    Apparently, it was just a fling. After showering, I tried the combo again, and my hair is wavy and frizzy.:sad8: I'm sticking my head under the sink and going back to my curl creams. They've never done this to me.

• merebearmerebear Posts: 190Registered Users
    so that and the mousse are okay to use?
    MereBear
    2B-2C - very wavy with loose ringlets

:wav:
  • kcurlskcurls Posts: 205Registered Users
    I do either just Suave Coconut + F/X or if I have extra time for drying and am truly committed to good 2nd day hair, Suave + Joiwhip + a little F/X

Love it
    3A - fine, just above shoulder length, w/red color and highlights.

Product: Suave Coconut leave in, Joico Joiwhip mousse, Angell or F/X Curl booster on wet hair. Sometimes rotate in ReCoil/CK.

Routine: Scrunch with cloth diapers, then use Shellynot's clipping method. Diffuse a bit without touching hair. Leave clips in at least half and hour. Remove clips and air dry.

Day 2: Pineapple, no product.

DT once a week with DevaCare OneC

ALSO:
    "I got a crush on Obama."
  • merebearmerebear Posts: 190Registered Users
    thank you
    MereBear
    2B-2C - very wavy with loose ringlets

:wav:
  • CurlyBratCurlyBrat Posts: 445Registered Users
    Well I've used this every day, still the same routine... a tiny dab of leave-in on my ends (Suave coconut)... then half a pump of the Biotera Curl Creme and then about a nickel/quarter size squeeze of this Gel and I'm STILL IN LOVE!

It has given me the best definition without weighing my curls down of any gel I've ever used. I also have not found it to be the least bit crunchy... (and I must confess I was a little disappointed, as my favorite part of my hair 'routine' is something that requires me to touch it!! Hmmm... probably why I have frizz... but I digress...)

Anyway... just thought someone might like to know that it has actually worked more than just the first day or two... this is quite possibly a lasting relationship and not just a whirlwind romance... LOL

Which means this stuff is gonna be discontinued ANY MINUTE!
    3a/b thin/fine
    fotki PW: curls
    updated 5/1/2010 "starting over"

Routine:
    don't even HAVE a "routine" at the moment...
    HG: still GVP Conditioning Balm and Biotera Gel/CC
    Experimentals: HE TMS Spray Gel, LOOB

Riot Crrl: "Revenge is a dish best served with a side of awesome hair."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file