so lost....

tashtash Posts: 112Registered Users
I just found out wensday that I have "curly" hair. After doing some reading I guess its more of a "2", in that I have always seemed to have some wavyness, I just didn't know that was curly. I thought it was just something annoying that happend to straight hair :oops:

anyway I don't know what to do with it. its fine, but thick. I think parts of it are actually straight, but it mostly seems to be wavy/curly now. I noticed on here a lot of people seem to do only conditiner or really heavy on the conditioner. I haven't used conditioner on a regular basis in years. It just made my hair greesy and nasty. It is frizzy/poofy a lot though and I kinda wonder if conditioner might help that, is there a conditioner that won't make it greesy? I tried sevrel before I gave up.

I also can't take a whole lot of time for my hair either. I have an almost 2 year old and she is afraid of my hair dryer and also needs lots of supervision or she gets into everything. I also have never been able to hold my arms above my head for "long" periods because they start to fall asleep.

so, does anyone have any reccomendations for me? this hair stuff has always been soooo overwhelming. I useually just put it in a ponytail, but that looks terrible (the way I do it) and is boring. and now its too short anyway. :)

also: what do I do in the morning? I like to shower at night, after my hair dries it looks great, then I wake up and its kinda 'eh'. I dont' really know how to fix it without just getting more frizz....
2b/c with some 1 and 3a tendencies. fine-medium, still searching for the HG..... Hair Bio

Comments

• Kasey314Kasey314 Posts: 308Registered Users
    Welcome tash!! :bounce:

I strongly recommend that you read Loraine Massey's book Curly Girl. Many of us don't strictly follow her haircare routine, but it's a good starting point. There is a good explaination of it here: http://www.naturallycurly.com//curltalk/viewtopic.php?t=97420&sid=8ebffe984b88aa8fbd843612b829cb21

Also, LM seems to think that most people w/ wavy hair don't realize it, that they just believe their hair to be "difficult", so apparently you are not alone in this!

As far as condish goes, lots of posters have been raving out Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner (I just discovered it and really like it). You can see their posts here:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com//curltalk/viewtopic.php?t=117421&sid=8ebffe984b88aa8fbd843612b829cb21

Most people seem to think that this is v. moisturizing w/o weighing your hair down, so perhaps this will help w/ the greasiness. Also, you could always condish the length of your hair and not the roots.

One other great thing to do is to look through these posts and look at the pics people have on their websites. Once you find people w/ similar hairtypes you can find out what products work for them. This can really narrow down your searching to things that have a high probability of working for you.

One last thing... I also like to wash at night. I found a few things helpful: I have to use a REALLY strong gel in order for my hair to keep it's shape throughout the night, I sleep on a satin pillowcase to reduce the friction on my hair, and I also diffuse just a little bit before I go to bed to help the curls form nicely before I sleep on them. I know you said you can't keep your hands above your head for too long, so you could just bend at your waist, throw your hair upside down and diffuse that way (lots of us do it like this). Also, I just use a little bit of water on my hands in the AM to reactivate whatever products I put in in the PM.

You can see some good videos on how to style your hair here: http://www.jessicurl.com/Demo-Videos-p-6.html

Her products don't particularly work well for me, but lots of people love them!

Just remember to be patient, it takes everyone a long time to figure out what is going to work for them, and that we are here to help.

GL! :wink:
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

CG since 9/06, modified since 3/07.

:coffee: <~~ Me every morning

Updated fotki 5/06/08
    http://public.fotki.com/Kasey314/

Products-of-the-moment: Loving Innersense right now: Pure Essential Hair Bath, Pure Inspiration Daily Conditioner and I Create Quiet Calm Curl Cream. Devacurl Angell is my go to gel, nothing else like it for me. Nature's Gate Lavendar and Aloe Nourishing Conditoner is always in my shower.

password - curly girl

• eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Read the sticky on the going shampooless forum and also Curl411. Conditoner is very important to keep wavy/curly hair moisturized, which will cut down on the frizz factor. But it is also important that you use gentle sulphate free shampoos and silicone free conditioners and styling products. Since you wash at night, get a satin pillowcase to sleep on. It will help cut down on some of the tangles and messiness that comes from sleeping on your hair. Spend some time on this site educating yourself, then try the CG method, and give your hair and scalp 3-6 weeks to adjust. You will probably be amazed at how healthy and probably wavier your hair becomes.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • tashtash Posts: 112Registered Users
    Kasey314 wrote:
    ....As far as condish goes, lots of posters have been raving out Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner (I just discovered it and really like it). You can see their posts here:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com//curltalk/viewtopic.php?t=117421&sid=8ebffe984b88aa8fbd843612b829cb21

Most people seem to think that this is v. moisturizing w/o weighing your hair down, so perhaps this will help w/ the greasiness. Also, you could always condish the length of your hair and not the roots.

honeysuckle sounds yummy :)

as far back as I can remember I have only conditioned the length and not my scalp/roots. I also try to only appy shampoo to my scalp. but it was still so greesy with the conditinor, so I gave it up :(
    Kasey314 wrote:
    ......One last thing... I also like to wash at night. I found a few things helpful: I have to use a REALLY strong gel in order for my hair to keep it's shape throughout the night, I sleep on a satin pillowcase to reduce the friction on my hair, and I also diffuse just a little bit before I go to bed to help the curls form nicely before I sleep on them. I know you said you can't keep your hands above your head for too long, so you could just bend at your waist, throw your hair upside down and diffuse that way (lots of us do it like this). Also, I just use a little bit of water on my hands in the AM to reactivate whatever products I put in in the PM....

currently I only have fructis (sp?) creme gel. whats a good strong one?

my husband got me a satin pillow four years ago :love1: , well he got the whole satin set, but the rest was too slippery and we kept loosing our blankets and pillows :lol: so now we are using mostly cotton with satin pillowcases :D

on another (non-hair) site I am on a lot of people LOVE this stuff for washing thier hair. Would it work for curly/wavy? http://2sweetpeas.net/LaReesCandles_BathBody_LemonSlices.htm
    Most of them also use either her rinse, or apple cider viniger.

where in MD are you? we are moving to MD next month.
    2b/c with some 1 and 3a tendencies. fine-medium, still searching for the HG..... Hair Bio
    oh, and for more of a 'hair history' of me:

some products I have tried in the past few years:
    Suave Naturals Passion Flower Conditioner- smells yummy and I don't think it had 'cones' in it, but I might be missing something :shrug:
    Suave Daily Clairifying Shampoo-don't like the smell (especilly when I was pregnant), and I don't like that it has sls and slhs. but it does seem to clarify when I do use it.
    Mill Creek Jojoba Conditioner-another nice smelling one.
    Garnier Fortifying Anti-Dandruff Shampoo sometimes my scalp itches, using this at least occasinally really seems to help. but sometimes I wonder if maybe the itchyness is from buildup :shrug: or maybe even dryness? I don't know....
    Fructis Style Brilliantine Shine Cream-Gel-just now I read "fruit micro-waxes, is a unique collection of non-greasy formulas infused with silicone" :roll:
    oh... also a question about the "no brush, no comb outside the shower" thing...

how does that not result in a tangled mess? I have been only combing it when wet, and then brushing it just before the shower and it is sooooo tangled when I do, it takes a while to get it out. I just can't imagine not doing it :eek:

one time back in high school I forgot or lost or something my pony tail holder and the windows were open on the bus and I had such a horrible knot by the time I got home, it took foooorrevvvver to get it out. :(
    tash wrote:
    Kasey314 wrote:
    ....As far as condish goes, lots of posters have been raving out Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner (I just discovered it and really like it). You can see their posts here:

honeysuckle sounds yummy :)

as far back as I can remember I have only conditioned the length and not my scalp/roots. I also try to only appy shampoo to my scalp. but it was still so greesy with the conditinor, so I gave it up :(
    Kasey314 wrote:
    ......One last thing... I also like to wash at night. I found a few things helpful: I have to use a REALLY strong gel in order for my hair to keep it's shape throughout the night, I sleep on a satin pillowcase to reduce the friction on my hair, and I also diffuse just a little bit before I go to bed to help the curls form nicely before I sleep on them. I know you said you can't keep your hands above your head for too long, so you could just bend at your waist, throw your hair upside down and diffuse that way (lots of us do it like this). Also, I just use a little bit of water on my hands in the AM to reactivate whatever products I put in in the PM....

currently I only have fructis (sp?) creme gel. whats a good strong one?

my husband got me a satin pillow four years ago :love1: , well he got the whole satin set, but the rest was too slippery and we kept loosing our blankets and pillows :lol: so now we are using mostly cotton with satin pillowcases :D

on another (non-hair) site I am on a lot of people LOVE this stuff for washing thier hair. Would it work for curly/wavy? http://2sweetpeas.net/LaReesCandles_BathBody_LemonSlices.htm
    Most of them also use either her rinse, or apple cider viniger.

where in MD are you? we are moving to MD next month.

Right now for a gel I am using a combo of LOOB (loreal out of bed) and Suave Basics gel #8. Both are CG. A lot of people on the boards also like Herbal Essences gels, especially the Body Envy and Set Me Free. Both have a fairly strong hold.

I've never seen the product you linked above, but from what I can tell it's CG. I have used baking soda alone as a clarifier and from what I recall it worked fine. You may want to post about it on the General board and see is anyone else has tried it! What board did you see this on... please share :cat:

I just moved to Silver Spring, which is right outside of DC. Where are you planning to move to?
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

Updated fotki 5/06/08

Products-of-the-moment: Loving Innersense right now: Pure Essential Hair Bath, Pure Inspiration Daily Conditioner and I Create Quiet Calm Curl Cream. Devacurl Angell is my go to gel, nothing else like it for me. Nature's Gate Lavendar and Aloe Nourishing Conditoner is always in my shower.

password - curly girl

tash wrote:
    oh, and for more of a 'hair history' of me:

some products I have tried in the past few years:
    Suave Naturals Passion Flower Conditioner- smells yummy and I don't think it had 'cones' in it, but I might be missing something :shrug:
    Suave Daily Clairifying Shampoo-don't like the smell (especilly when I was pregnant), and I don't like that it has sls and slhs. but it does seem to clarify when I do use it.
    Mill Creek Jojoba Conditioner-another nice smelling one.
    Garnier Fortifying Anti-Dandruff Shampoo sometimes my scalp itches, using this at least occasinally really seems to help. but sometimes I wonder if maybe the itchyness is from buildup :shrug: or maybe even dryness? I don't know....
    Fructis Style Brilliantine Shine Cream-Gel-just now I read "fruit micro-waxes, is a unique collection of non-greasy formulas infused with silicone" :roll:

The Jojoba condish looks good - did you find that this one weighed your hair down? I think that Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone are cones (???????), so the suave condish may not be a good idea. If you like fructis stuff, I know that the sleek-and-shine and the curl-and-shine formulas are used by many curlies on these boards, so you may want to check into them.

I have a thought about your poo's... maybe the reason you have an oily scalp is BECAUSE you are using harsh ingredients. If I were you, I'd give my hair a break for awhile and see if it changes. Like ewenique said, give it 3 - 6 weeks. Your hair will need time to adjust, I know mine did, but in the end your scalp will adjust to the fact that it doesn't need to produce so much oil and it will regulate itself.

Edited to fix spelling :error:
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

Updated fotki 5/06/08

password - curly girl

tash wrote:
    oh... also a question about the "no brush, no comb outside the shower" thing...

how does that not result in a tangled mess? I have been only combing it when wet, and then brushing it just before the shower and it is sooooo tangled when I do, it takes a while to get it out. I just can't imagine not doing it :eek:

one time back in high school I forgot or lost or something my pony tail holder and the windows were open on the bus and I had such a horrible knot by the time I got home, it took foooorrevvvver to get it out. :(

Have you been coating your hair w/ condish before you finger comb? If not, that may be why it's tangling up. If you are, then you may need one w/ more "slip". This is a great thread about conditioners - http://www.naturallycurly.com//curltalk/viewtopic.php?t=91196&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=309424eea97ab2f2cfdd55ad1923667b - you should look through it to find good options for you. Also, a lot of people use wide-tooth combs in the shower, so maybe using one would help you out.
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

Updated fotki 5/06/08

password - curly girl

Kasey314 wrote:
    .....I've never seen the product you linked above, but from what I can tell it's CG. I have used baking soda alone as a clarifier and from what I recall it worked fine. You may want to post about it on the General board and see is anyone else has tried it! What board did you see this on... please share :cat:

I just moved to Silver Spring, which is right outside of DC. Where are you planning to move to?

I spend a lot of time on TBW which is a parenting board for babywearers ;) a lot of us on there are into lots of natural stuff (both parenting wise and general).

We are moving to Fort Meade. I am in Ohio right now waiting on our house (just found out it will be ready dec 3 :bounce: )

(oh, and the person who makes the lemon stuff above is also in MD ;) )
    Kasey314 wrote:
    .....The Jojoba condish looks good - did you find that this one weighed your hair down? I think that Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone are cones (???????), so the suave condish may not be a good idea. If you like fructis stuff, I know that the sleek-and-shine and the curl-and-shine formulas are used by many curlies on these boards, so you may want to check into them.
    yeah, the jojobo one was really bad. I think I was using a tea tree oil shampoo at the time I used it, so that was more gentile then the other stuff... I used over 1/2 the bottle before moving on.....

I want tp try something gentiler... but I really can not stand having greesy stringy icky hair :(
    Kasey314 wrote:
    .....Have you been coating your hair w/ condish before you finger comb? If not, that may be why it's tangling up. If you are, then you may need one w/ more "slip". This is a great thread about conditioners - http://www.naturallycurly.com//curltalk/viewtopic.php?t=91196&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=309424eea97ab2f2cfdd55ad1923667b - you should look through it to find good options for you. Also, a lot of people use wide-tooth combs in the shower, so maybe using one would help you out.

no, I haven't been using conditioner. I looked at that thread... but wow, that is a lot of stuff :eek: I think I might just get the lemon baking soda stuff and the honeysuckle conditioner you mentioned an see how that goes......
  • FearnotsomuchFearnotsomuch Posts: 368Registered Users
    Kasey314 wrote:
    The Jojoba condish looks good - did you find that this one weighed your hair down? I think that Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone are cones (???????),

Nope.. not cones! :alien:

I don't have much to add here.. just that I also live in MD.
    In DESPERATE need of a haircut.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file