Confused about Co-washing

funkediscofunkedisco Posts: 130Registered Users
HI,
Fairly new to CG and have a question. When you co-wash, are you supposed to put CO in and then rinse it all out or leave some in? And sometimes I see folks post that they Co-wash with one product and Condition with another, what does that mean? Is there a difference between CO-washing and Conditioning? THanks!
2a-3a
Modified CG
Suave Lavender Co, Tigi MM, CK, Fuzzy Duck/FX Curl

:) Take up a course in happiness :)

Comments

• msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    Hi and Welcome! A lot of curlies use a cheaper, less rich conditioner, i.e., Suave, VO5, White Rain, to wash with and a richer, more moisturizing one to condition with aftwards. Some use the cheaper ones for everything & vice-versa -- it's just yet another thing to experiment with and see what your hair prefers. :wink:
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • funkediscofunkedisco Posts: 130Registered Users
    but i'm still not clear on if I shouldn't rinse it out completely. Or is that mostly personal preference? Thanks!
    2a-3a
    Modified CG

• msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    It is personal preference, but I think a lot of people rinse out all of the conditioner they're using for washing and then leave in some, or even all, of the conditioner that is used to condition with afterwards. Hope that made sense. It is a LOT of experimenting! :icon_smile:
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • funkediscofunkedisco Posts: 130Registered Users
    thanks for the clarification. I will be trying some different things in the weeks to come.
    2a-3a
    Modified CG

• FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    funkedisco wrote:
    HI,
    Fairly new to CG and have a question. When you co-wash, are you supposed to put CO in and then rinse it all out or leave some in? And sometimes I see folks post that they Co-wash with one product and Condition with another, what does that mean? Is there a difference between CO-washing and Conditioning? THanks!

Isn't this whole thing fun !! :laughing9:

I have to co-wash daily - haven't managed to get presentable 2nd day hair yet - I always rinse it all out and then put a leave-in afterwards. I have tried to 'leave some in', but have never managed to get it right. I always end up with either too much left in (greasy hair) or conditioner that isn't evenly distributed (frizz). When you're starting with this whole routine, this maybe an easier way for you to start. MS is right - experiment, experiment, experiment.

As far as co-washing with one conditioner and then conditioning with another, I think it can mean different things. I've seen some curlies who co-wash with a lighter conditioner, but then condition with a richer one. Some (like me) only do a co-wash and then follow up with a leave-in.

Many curlies also do D.T. (deep treatments) as well. I try and do one weekly. If I'm going to use a gentle poo, I usually do it on the day that I am going to D.T. I find it is easier on my hair if I do that.

I know it is confusing !! Don't give up. I have learned so much from all the fabulous curlies on this site, but you still have to figure out what works for you. :hello2:
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file