Favorite Sally's products?

KristaRoseKristaRose Posts: 546Registered Users
I'm going to Sally's this weekend and am looking for recommendations. What are your favorite Sally's products? I have 3B hair and am open to ANY type of product recommendation. Thanks!
3B
Growing out from a pixie cut. Long process but I'm getting there.

Comments

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like biotera curl creme (although the smell is a bit much), the hypo allergenic styling gel and the biotera styling gel.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • LorenzoStompLorenzoStomp Posts: 21Registered Users
    The Elasta gel in my sig. It gives a noncrunchy hold and lots of shine. It's in the ethnic ghetto aisle.
  • Ashkins1118Ashkins1118 Posts: 786Registered Users
    Generic Value Paul Mitchel Leave In
    Super Thick corkscrews and waves. LOVE Elucence MBC, Giovanni 50/50 condish, Qhemet Products, V05 Calming Chamomile Tea Therapy condish, Jessicurl WDT. These are my official HG's that I love oh so much
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Curlypad?feature=mhum

comic-p.jpg
  • JessyCatJessyCat Posts: 91Registered Users
    I like the Generic Value Products Aussie 3MM a lot!
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Biotera styling gel
    Mebco detangling brush
    Mr pumi pumice bar

There's a lot of other stuff, but I am drawing a blank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I bought two Generic Value products from Sally's that were recommended to me on this site:

Nexxus Aloe Rid
    Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

I just bought a pumice per spring's rec today.

It's been recommended to me to buy Face Secrets Cosmetic Spatulas because I can't stand sticking my fingers into tubs/jars of products & getting the gunk under my nails. WUSS

In the last two weeks I bought:

* a set of two wave caps to keep my hair in place because I have damage in the back underneath, obviously from tossing & turning all night
    * a satin pillowcase because the wave cap popped off in the middle of the night :lol:
    * a tube of Hemp Hydrating Conditioner
    * metal double prong pin curl clips identical to the original Deva clips
    * single prong pin curl clips in metal, versus plastic which is what the new Deva clips are
    * a large spray bottle for my Lotta Body Texturizing Setting Lotion while using the clips

For the longest time I've had a Jilbere shower detangling comb & small spray bottle for hubby & son when they do each others hair with the clippers.

I'm not positive, but I think I bought them a black hair cape & a pair of hair cutting scissors from there. Or maybe it was from WalMart. :dontknow:

I have a rat tail comb I got from there, for making zig-zag parts.

I buy my 2 oz travel bottles there for 59 cents each (that's the member price, versus 99 cents for non-member).

I bought Savvy Nude blush & am looking at the neutral/nude/natural or whatever lipstick.

I bought & went through their Bee Kissed (Burt's Bees knock-off) lip balms, Shea Butter & mints. They're the same from what I can tell. I might try the knock-off of the Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer when they get restocked with their most popular colors, which for some reason I can't find at all on their site. :?

I like their magazine that comes out quarterly. - It's been discontinued. :(

I've bought Face Secrets Gentle Beauty Buffs.

I think I bought shower caps from there.

I bought a Turbie Twist from there.

I've used several of their Beyond the Zone products:

* I like the Noodle Head Curling Creme, though I stopped using it because of being a chicken **** about the beeswax that's low on the ingredients list
    * I also used the Noodle Head Curl Boosting Spray & liked that, though I'm trying to stay away from sprays now since they like to make hard floors slippery :shock:
    * I tried their Last Call Hair Masque, but saw the mineral oil & clay in it & chickened out on the non-sampler or regular size
    * I use the Acid Shock, though it's now discontinued
    * I used the Spike It Spiking Gel (Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee knock-off) & liked it, until it started drying out my hair

I've bought & used, & liked their Henna 'N Placenta Conditioning Treatment by Hask.

I really like & will someday go back to Aura Cherry Almond Bark Revitalizing Conditioner for Dry, Damaged Hair when I'm done sowing my oats/playing the field (yeah right!).

I bought a gallon jug of their Salon Care Honey Almond & while the scent was amazing, I found it was just too thin for my hair, but others here seem to love it & the other "flavors".

I bought a bottle of one of the Apple Pectin Conditioner smaller bottles, but it wasn't the same as what I remembered from when I was a teen & my aunt was my stylist. I guess the memory was just in the scent & that was comforting.

A colorist's key from Sally's came in very handy for winding Burt's Bees metal tube version of Coconut Foot Creme!

I bet there's more stuff, but I think my brain's running on empty right now. If I can remember the rest, I'll report back & just ETA to this list. :)

ETA:

I bought a set of Ion Conditioning tools; digital ceramic flat iron, 3/4" curling iron & dryer. I love them!

I also bought a stylist's comb set.

And I bought my son a bottle of the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Oil Shampoo knock-off.
  • jlpmom23jlpmom23 Posts: 755Registered Users
    If you are into mineral makeup, definitely try Sally's brand. I have used many of the high dollar brands, but am sick of paying the money. (Why overspend on makeup when I can be buying hair stuff, right?!?) Anyway, the mineral makeup at Sally's is fantastic, and there is a coupon on their site for buy 1, get 1. So you get two full sets (two excellent brushes and four pots of powder foundation) for $16.
  • KristaRoseKristaRose Posts: 546Registered Users
    Thanks again, all! I'm loving this thread! The best one I ever started!!
    3B
    Growing out from a pixie cut. Long process but I'm getting there.
  • CurlyBratCurlyBrat Posts: 445Registered Users
    I've bought & used, & liked their Henna 'N Placenta Conditioning Treatment by Hask.

Was thinking of using a package of this I still have at home this weekend as a DT... is it CG??
    3a/b thin/fine
    fotki PW: curls
    updated 5/1/2010 "starting over"

Routine:
    don't even HAVE a "routine" at the moment...
    HG: still GVP Conditioning Balm and Biotera Gel/CC
    Experimentals: HE TMS Spray Gel, LOOB

Riot Crrl: "Revenge is a dish best served with a side of awesome hair."

• BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Throughout the years, I've bought a lot of things from Sally's, but a few stand out.

I like the Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque...good for acne prone skin.

I used the ION hair products and didn't like them. The smell was hideous and it didn't do anything for me.

I like Creme of Nature (regular formula, red label) as a good sulfate-free shampoo.

Feria conditioner is a good conditioner (has amodimethicone in it). It makes my hair feel like butter in the shower and it's soft all day, but not overly conditioned. It can build-up though.

Beyond the Zone "Turn Up the Heat" was an awful heat protectant. I used it 2-3 times to protect hair from flat iron and my hair hated it. It weighed it down and my hair was frizzy for days after. It has that "evil" cyclo...xane cone.

Beyond the Zone's "NoodleHead curling cream" is nice...like that one. It has cones in it though but not too bad.

Biotera curl cream is a good cone-free curl cream...love it!

I have a hair mascara in bronze color that I cover my roots with, when I'm too lazy to color my hair and want to wait an extra few weeks before coloring. They have different color hair mascaras there.

I have face blotters that absorb oily skin...can't remember the brand, but it's pretty effective in absorbing my oily face at work. I think it's made out of rice paper.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    Biolage gel
    Cheapo wide tooth shower combs
    You may not need this but tiny shower caps that go over my ears (and keep them from getting packed full of henna mud, lol)

Curlybrat the Henna 'n' Placenta looks CG to me, according to Walgreen's site.
    Purified Water , Acetamide MEA , Cetearyl Alcohol , Ceteareth-20 , Cetyl Alcohol , Soluble Collagen , Propylene Glycol , Isostearyl Ethylimidonium Ethosulfate , Henna Extract , Placenta Extract , Hexylene Glycol , Citric Acid , Imidazolinyl Urea , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Fragrance , Glycerine , Phosphoric Acid

Chock full of protein of course, but I'm sure you expected that.
  • CurlyBratCurlyBrat Posts: 445Registered Users
    Riot Crrl wrote: »
    Curlybrat the Henna 'n' Placenta looks CG to me, according to Walgreen's site.
    Purified Water , Acetamide MEA , Cetearyl Alcohol , Ceteareth-20 , Cetyl Alcohol , Soluble Collagen , Propylene Glycol , Isostearyl Ethylimidonium Ethosulfate , Henna Extract , Placenta Extract , Hexylene Glycol , Citric Acid , Imidazolinyl Urea , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Fragrance , Glycerine , Phosphoric Acid
    Chock full of protein of course, but I'm sure you expected that.

Yeah, I knew it was pretty protein enriched but I don't really know if protein affects my hair or not. I've read about the 'pluck and snap' test but I'm apparently not talented enough to conduct it. I'd say my hair is more elastic-y when I pull it and when it does finally snap, the broken ends curl up like when you use scissors on ribbon... is that clear as mud? :laughing7: I just wondered how it would do as a DT.
    ETA: I also wasn't that thrilled about the parabens... isn't that wax?
    3a/b thin/fine
    fotki PW: curls
    updated 5/1/2010 "starting over"

Routine:
    don't even HAVE a "routine" at the moment...
    HG: still GVP Conditioning Balm and Biotera Gel/CC
    Experimentals: HE TMS Spray Gel, LOOB

Riot Crrl: "Revenge is a dish best served with a side of awesome hair."

I'd say my hair is more elastic-y when I pull it and when it does finally snap, the broken ends curl up like when you use scissors on ribbon... is that clear as mud?

No, that makes sense to me, it is supposed to mean you do need protein. I don't know about the curly ribbon part, but the stretching a long long way part.
    I also wasn't that thrilled about the parabens... isn't that wax?

No, they are preservatives. They don't affect CGness or buildup at all as far as I know, but there is some controversy about their overall health effects. Some say they are carcinogens, others say those people are nuts.
  • InfraredheadInfraredhead Posts: 335Registered Users
    Volumax gel, Biotera Gel, Aura Hypoallergenic Gel, metal clips. If you color your hair then Wella Color Charm (so many shades!), Grey Magic, and chunking caps.

Last time I was there I purchased a pedicure thingamabob for my heels. I threw away the package so I do not remember the name, but it has a handle at one end and at the other it has a rough textured surface that is the color of aluminum foil. Works great on my heels.
    Mod CG since April of 2007.
  • curl goddesscurl goddess Posts: 220Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Im a massage therapist.......and their massage SPA line is pretty good.
    3a long thick -botticelli hair when there is humidity
    2c wavy w/curls if there isnt.
    currently using Bioterra & KMF in winter
    Jessicurl styling in summer
    Natures Gate poo & condish
    Thank you NC for bringing me back to curly!
  • MintMint Posts: 1,143Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I still need to get to Sally's one of these days... :tongue5:

I have a question about Hask though... Do they use erm, real placenta?

('Cause that would be really gross...)

:glasses9:
    2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
    Yes, they do. Probably from cows. As you can see in the ingredient list though, it's an extract. So it's not like chopped up meaty chunks or anything.
    Yes, they do. Probably from cows. As you can see in the ingredient list though, it's an extract. So it's not like chopped up meaty chunks or anything.

Cow placenta extract? Eww. I'm not a vegetarian or anything, but that's nasty! :sad4:

Thanks for the info though! XD
  • mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Posts: 1,271Registered Users Curl Novice

How do people come up with these things?

How do people come up with these things?

That's what I want to know! :laughing7: Seriously, if my hair needed protein I'd just be happy with soy or something.
    Do you all have Sallys cards? Just wondering if its worth it......
    double post
  • InfraredheadInfraredhead Posts: 335Registered Users
    I have a Sally's card and it paid for itself in two trips. That being said, I take a field trip to Sally's probably twice a month. I have a Sam's Warehouse card that I have used twice this year...now I am mad at myself for buying it! Grrrrr
    Mod CG since April of 2007.
  • starinastarina Posts: 665Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just bought Biotera curl creme last week and I have to tell you it's the best product I've ever purchased from Sally's. It really is great stuff.

I've bought the foot smoothing cream (forgot what it's called) and it works really well. I've bought combs and a curling iron. I buy my shower caps there because you get a whole bunch for 1.99 or something like that and they last forever unlike the drugstore kind where the elastic gives out after a month or so and they cost a fortune. I also have bought products I didn't like such as the Ion products and a couple of other things.

Overall, I think Sally's has some great products and it's always fun to go in there and snoop around.
    I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
  • dalitwildalitwil Posts: 104Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I stop at Sally's probably once a week or two! Before CG, I used to buy a lot of the ion treatments for rusty water and deep conditioning treatments.

They also have some of the most terrific nail buffers (for natural nails) and I am obsessed with the "Nail Life, Nail Revitalizer" -prior to this discovery I was using OPI nail envy religiously, and this stuff in my opinion is a million times better, and probably five dollars cheaper.

Today in fact, I just bought this new stuff on display by Elizabeth Arden's Green Tea skin care, the 3 in 1 cleanser and a skin revitalizer (which was by accident, I had thought it was actually a moisturizer). I'm digging it so far, but have only used it once about an hour ago (the smell will be great for groggy mornings).

Oh, and finally picked up some biotera gel, because everyone here loves it so much. I love it when I'm exciting to take a shower the next day to try a new product!!
  • notegalnotegal Posts: 560Registered Users
    I just went to Sally's today for the first time to find some gel and see what kind of shampoo and conditioner they had to offer.

I found shampoo and conditioner Honey and Almond made by SalonCare Professional. Does anyone know anything about this. Is it any good for curly hair? There was a great deal on the large bottles. I didn't see any cone's in it, but I could be wrong since I'm just starting to figure this stuff out. What ingredients are good for your hair and what are not? Is there a thread about that here?

So I ended up walking out with
    SalonCare Honey Almond shampoo and conditioner
    Loreal Naturals Styling Gel
    a diffuser
    and a Sally's card which I definitely think it's worth it. It was only $5 to purchase and you get 10-20% off your items. Definitely a good deal if you plan on shopping at Sally's often.
    "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."
    Ernest Hemingway

CG since June 15th, 2008:dog::love5::elephant:
    3b very thick hair with very kinky (possibly 3c) curls underneath
    Went Deva Care line beginning
    September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

• nieceypoonieceypoo Posts: 104Registered Users
    My fav Sally's product is Biotera gel. I love it!

I think I may have to but a Sally's card...I'm in there once every week or two and I usually pick up something or other, whether it be makeup (the Palladio eyeshadow is great!), clips, travel containers, or any other odds and ends.
    I LOVE my curls...finally! :toothy4:
    3b

Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner
    VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Conditioner
    Boots Curl Creme - Pink
    Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel
    Herbal Essences Set Me Up Spray Gel
    L'Oreal Pro Nutri Gloss Conditioner for curly hair
    Shampoo Bars
  • QuirkyYoginiQuirkyYogini Posts: 569Registered Users
    You guys are awful enablers. All of you! :tongue5:

I'm not really sure if I have any favorites from Sally's yet, but I"m going to try some of this! I just went out and bought a few things off of this thread. I'm not sure about putting placenta in my hair, but I'll try anything if it gives me good hair! :laughing7:
    I have 3c hair that I haven't straightened in over 5 years. It's just past shoulder length when dry, and almost waist length when pulled straight.

Products:
    9/02/08 Went CG
    05/12/09 Still CG. Cowashing with VO5 Lavender Luster. I then condition with Giovanni Smooth as Silk. Styling with VO5 Lavender Luster conditioner with my wide-toothed comb.

http://public.fotki.com/QuirkyYogini/

• tycho19tycho19 Posts: 805Registered Users
    I really love the Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea spray. It makes my hair super shiny and soft.
    2B/2C wavy
    Don't Breed and Buy While Shelter Dogs Die - Adopt your next best friend!
  • WannaLoveMyWavesWannaLoveMyWaves Posts: 53Registered Users
    My favorite Sally products are:

CON shampoo - red version
    ORS Lock and Twist
    Generic K-Pak
    The generic Paul Mitchell Tea Tree for the kids.

I have the card and it pays for itself over and over again.
    Mixture of type 2 hair
    First day of Wavy CG method: 08/22/08

http://public.fotki.com/WannaLoveMyWaves/
    PW: waves

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file