The Post-HBP Official Harry Potter thread with SPOILERS

PoodleheadPoodlehead Registered Users Posts: 6,959
I thought I'd start one, otherwise I'd never think to look for it! :D
Minneapolis, MN

Comments

• curly_princesscurly_princess Registered Users Posts: 360
    Hello everyone!! I'm so excited to get this thread rolling! Soon it will be... :D:D:D:D

You might want to put spoilers in the subject, poodlehead, just in case people don't realize that.
    3a/b, fine hair... with a mind of its own!
    PW- frenchfries

Your hair, it's everywhere. Screaming infidelities, taking its wear.
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Registered Users Posts: 6,959
    Hello everyone!! I'm so excited to get this thread rolling! Soon it will be... :D:D:D:D

You might want to put spoilers in the subject, poodlehead, just in case people don't realize that.

Thanks for the suggestion... do they have them in England now? Just think, East coast will get them an hour before me, and I'll get it an hour before YOU! :twisted:
    Minneapolis, MN
    Poodlehead wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion... do they have them in England now? Just think, East coast will get them an hour before me, and I'll get it an hour before YOU! :twisted:

:evil:

I'm picking mine up in the morning, anways.
    PW- frenchfries

• MipMip Registered Users Posts: 233
    Poodlehead wrote:

Everyone gets the book at the same time. :D
  • chappysmomchappysmom Registered Users Posts: 107
    Ack! I just finished . . . Wow. That bit at the end surprised me.

Anyone else as curious as I am as to the timing of the new DADA professor? Considering the events at the end of the book, why NOW? Was there a reason, a plan, we can't know about yet??
    Deb in NJ; 3a, dark brown, longish, layered, fine, reasonably thick hair, pale skin

Proud mom of Chappy, a 10-year old Boykin Spaniel, also with chocolate brown, 3a curls

Chappysmom.com
    Punctuality Rules!
    Booking Through Thursday
    :cry:

I just finished... I don't know what to say yet.... wow.
    PW- frenchfries

*SPOILER WARNING*

Alright, now that I've let the book sink in a little more, here are some of my thoughts.

First of all, I am so shocked that Dumbledore really is gone... I don't want to believe it. I had suspicions, but I still wanted to hope for the best... And that he was killed by one who so deeply betrayed his trust... :cry::cry::cry:

Wow did Snape catch me off guard. Totally off guard. It had seemed like JKR was slowly building him up to be trustworthy, boy was I surprised by chap 2! I never would have guessed it was him who was the HBP either... Now we all have to wonder who R.A.B. is... :?:

I loved the couples!! Harry and Ginny's kiss was fabulously written, and all that tension between Ron and Hermione. I thought all the drama was very realistic of any typical teenager. Tonks and Lupin surprised me, but I love it now. What interesting children they'll have!

Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, but some how I think Draco will help Harry in the end, anyone else think so? I think he's got some "good" in there somewhere.

Why was Snape "promoted" to DADA professer? I don't know chappysmom.

I don't think all in all HBP was as dark as OOTP , but I think the end of HBP was depressingly dark. I almost thought the book was a little slow in places; I wasn't always at the edge of my seat like the others. I guess I was expecting POA perfect, since JKR said she was as happy as she had been with HBP as she had been with POA.

How is Harry ever going to find all the Horcruxes? And no Hogwarts??? :(

Anyways, my musings for now... you'll probably hear again from me in the morning. I'm dying to hear other opinions!
    PW- frenchfries

I think RAB was Remulus Black, and the Horcrux is at 12 Grimmauld Place.

I also think Snape is on the "good" side. Otherwise Dumbledore's reason for trusting him is weak, at best. He wanted Harry to contact Snape rather than Madam Pomfrey because he knew exactly what Snape would do.

It was an amazing book. I told my husband I thought it was almost perfect. Light, humorous points, and a great climax. PoA is still my favorite, but this one was written just right.

And she proved me wrong right in the beginning. Lily was a Gryffindor. :D

I KNEW there would be a wedding, it's just in the next book instead of this one. And of COURSE Tonks was in love with Lupin!
    Minneapolis, MN
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
    DH and I stayed up until 4:00AM to finish it. I thought it was very well written. Very dark and scary. Worth the hype and the wait. I was blown away.

Regulus Black is my guess too! That hit me like a lightning bolt just after we finished.

I'm so sad about Dumbledore, but I kind of thought Harry had to go it alone in the end. I also thought that Snape was still acting on Dumbledore's orders. Perhaps that is why he was so over the top with "DON'T CALL ME A COWARD!" Maybe he did not want to kill Dumbledore. DH and I were saying that it seems so obvious that Snape is a bad guy, that he must serve a better purpose. JKR is too clever for such an easy answer!
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
    fuzzbucket wrote:
    DH and I stayed up until 4:00AM to finish it. I thought it was very well written. Very dark and scary. Worth the hype and the wait. I was blown away.

Regulus Black is my guess too! That hit me like a lightning bolt just after we finished.

I'm so sad about Dumbledore, but I kind of thought Harry had to go it alone in the end. I also thought that Snape was still acting on Dumbledore's orders. Perhaps that is why he was so over the top with "DON'T CALL ME A COWARD!" Maybe he did not want to kill Dumbledore. DH and I were saying that it seems so obvious that Snape is a bad guy, that he must serve a better purpose. JKR is too clever for such an easy answer!

Regulus, Regulus! Oops!

I'm so glad you agree! My husband won't even be able to START the book for another week, and I'm just dying because I want to discuss it with him! But next Sunday we have a 4-1/2 hour drive, and we'll have the book on tape, so hopefully the whole family can get in on the conversation.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • curlychellecurlychelle Registered Users Posts: 44
    Yep, my first thought when I saw R.A.B. was Sirius's brother, Regulus. Especially since the note said something like "by the time you read this, I'll be dead." I think he pretty much knew he was about to be killed.

So sad about Dumbledore, but I was glad no one from the DA was killed in the battle. I was convinced that Ginny would die.

And as much as I hate Snape, I think he may still be a good guy. Just have to wait and see.....

And I'm wondering if one of the horcruxes may have been in Grimmauld Place, but was stolen by Mundungus!!??? Eek!
  • curlychellecurlychelle Registered Users Posts: 44
    Poodlehead wrote:
    And of COURSE Tonks was in love with Lupin!

Who wouldn't be???
  • CurlOnWheelsCurlOnWheels Registered Users Posts: 170
    My husband hasn't yet finished the book, so I was glad to wake up and see so many comments! The ending has been playing with my head all night, so it was good to see other's opinions.

Of course Regulus Black is RAB. JKR is too obvious, at times, when introducing new characters. He was mentioned MANY times in this book.

As far as Snape goes... wow. I don't even know what else to say. I really hope this is all a part of Dumbledore's plan... but I just am not seeing it.
    You are sunlight and I moon
    Joined by the Gods of fortune
    Midnight and high noon
    Sharing the sky
    We have been blessed
    You and I
    -- Miss Saigon

Check out my randomness...
    I hope Mr. Ollivander is okay.

Is Dudley a Wizard?

I already miss Fawkes. :)

How PISSED would you be if you were Ginny, and Harry broke up with you but agreed to let Ron and Hermione come with him to do whatever it is he needs to do?????
    Minneapolis, MN
  • ArlsArls Registered Users Posts: 16
    So yeah, I cried. Like a baby. I couldn't help myself. And then I immediately said "WHY! Oh why? J.K. Do you give us a book a year and then I devour it in one sitting only to wait for another year twiddling my thumbs anxiously for the next novel to be released! Oh, J.K. you are a tease..."

Ginny's a cool cat, she'll totally be on board. I'm seeing an entire crew of D.A. going off next year to save the world. And hey, at this point, we don't even know if she'll have the OPTION to go back to Hogwarts.

And seriously, what's the deal with Percy? Get off it already...I feel so bad for Molly. I want to crawl into the book to give her a big old hug-a-roo.
    Anyone think that perhaps Dumbldore had/has an Unbreakable Vow with Snape? :shock:
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • helpmehelpme Registered Users Posts: 11
    fuzzbucket wrote:
    Anyone think that perhaps Dumbldore had/has an Unbreakable Vow with Snape? :shock:

I hope so because I just can't believe Snape is truly a bad guy. And I also think R.A.B. is Regulus Black and some people on other Harry Potter forums are saying the horcruxe Regulus found ( assuming R.A.B. is Regulus) is at Grimmauld Place and was mentioned in the 5th book. Unless he already he destroyed it.
    The part where Ron was like "I can't stop thinking about her." I thought he was referring to Hermione and I was like yes finally he's telling someone! Too bad he didn't.
    Did anyone else figure out Snape was the HBP midway into the book? I thought it was him after I realized that he is goot at potions, and the spells and jinxes were all 'for enemies'(James/Sirius). It was kind of scary that Snape gave himself a nickname, kind of like Voldemort did. They're both somewhat similar, half-blood, muggle father, love dark arts and are loners. I doubt that's important though.
    Who really is the R.A.B. and how did he know about the Horcruxes?
    Will the school be closed? Is Snape really bad?
    No, Snape's not really bad. Unbreakable vow, horcrux, secret keeper, he's tied so much more strongly to Dumbledore than we know. In this book we learned all about how D knew Voldemort when he was simply "Tom". But even back then D could tell that dear old Tommy was bad news. I think that that just goes to show how we can trust D's judge of character.

And Snape liked Lily (Crush maybe even? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?). As much as he despised James, she stood up for him, I think that Snape honestly did feel bad that he's the reason she died. (Which is why he always mentions the similarities between James and Harry, never Lily and Harry. Although I suppose "And you have your mother's beady little eyes!" isn't as harsh as "And you are just as smug as your father!" in a "them's fighting words" situation...)

As for the school closing, I have no idea...But if they bring Umbridge back so help me...You can't tell me that woman isn't working for Voldemort. Twisted nutcase.
    Arls, I love you! :lol:

(j/k, but I'm so glad you joined!)

JKR said that Harry having Lily's eyes will be significant. I didn't notice it in HBP, so it must come out in #7. Why do I have the feeling this book is going to need to be 5000 pages?
    Minneapolis, MN
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I thought Regulus too! And Snape...well, it seemed strange to me that Snape would ''turn bad'' so quickly in the book. Maybe Dumbledore already had plans with him an agreement that meant Snape was to stay with the Death Eaters no matter what so he could help the order? Hence the pleading with him? Although I'm not sure I believe that.

I did get a bit confused though that Dumbledore said Snape came over to the other side straight after he found out about the effects of him saying the prophecy. I thought Voldemort went straight away and killed Harry's parents, so would have fallen? But according to Dumbledore Snape passed over information on V's activities whilst being on D's side? Confused!

I do think that the next book is going to be very different to all the others though.
    Poodlehead, no I love you! Thank goodness for this thread...I've been poking all my friends with sticks in an effort to get them to read faster so I can talk about this with them. Read Faster!!

I think that Dumbledore was pleading for Snape to kill him. Snape obviously didn't want to do it, and why else would D have rendered Harry immobile? We all know Harry would have no problem taking out Snape ( or Malfoy, if he'd have been the one to go through with it). Suffice to say he'd probably have jumped at the opportunity. And Harry has obviously had just as much experience fighting Death Eaters as anyone of the Order...I think Dumbledore knew what was waiting for him. Now we just have to ponder why he had to die....

I wouldn't mind a 5,000 page edition. Whatever will we do when the collection is complete!
    Arls wrote:
    But if they bring Umbridge back so help me...You can't tell me that woman isn't working for Voldemort. Twisted nutcase.

Ack... I hate her "voice" when Jim Dale reads it... those "hmph hmphs" grate on my last nerve!
    Midnight and high noon
    Sharing the sky
    We have been blessed
    You and I
    -- Miss Saigon

• StrawberiCurlsStrawberiCurls Registered Users Posts: 424
    OH....my....god.

I just finished....and its 1:53 am. Wow.......

I must say that I did figure Snape to be the HBP, i just wasn't sure if he was Half-Blood or not. :)

When Harry did the Sectumsempra hex on Draco I was totally expecting him to be dead or something. SHOCKING part I thought...

One of the most touching parts of the book was when Dumbledore kept refusing to drink out of the Penseive in the cave and Harry kept forcing it to him. Wow was that emotional to read....

Harry and Ginny's kiss was perfect. I was so elated :D .

The end scene kinda reminded me of the last scene in the Spiderman movie, where he says they can't be together and everything. *tear*

It's weird to think that book 7 won't take place at Hogwarts, I too hope it will be 5000 pages.
    3a/3b mix
    5 year HG's:
    -L'oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture creme
    -Ouidad Climate Control gel
    When Harry did the Sectumsempra hex on Draco I was totally expecting him to be dead or something. SHOCKING part I thought...

After Harry did the Sectumsempra hex, I guess I expected him to show more remorse for it, since it was dark arts, but maybe the HBP had that much power over him...
    Midnight and high noon
    Sharing the sky
    We have been blessed
    You and I
    -- Miss Saigon

Galadriel wrote:

I did get a bit confused though that Dumbledore said Snape came over to the other side straight after he found out about the effects of him saying the prophecy. I thought Voldemort went straight away and killed Harry's parents, so would have fallen? But according to Dumbledore Snape passed over information on V's activities whilst being on D's side?

I agree, that's confusing. It's almost like Dumbledore was lying, but he would never ever do that. And the timing on hearing the prophecy is odd, because Prof. Trelawny said she saw the door fly open and Snape standing there, which means he would have heard the whole prophecy. Were there 2 people listening in at the door?

There's a lot of speculation that one of the Horcruxes is in Harry's scar.
    Minneapolis, MN
    Poodlehead wrote:
    There's a lot of speculation that one of the Horcruxes is in Harry's scar.

Harry's scar?!?!?!

How would that be possible?
    PW- frenchfries

• itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Registered Users Posts: 652
    i'm so glad i have this board! i'm the only harry potter fan i know! and i have to keep kicking things around in my head! my husband won't read them, and doesn't want me saying anything because he wants to see the movies...grrr...how iritating!

anyway!
    i didn't think this one was NEARLY as good as number 5...this one seemed to keep building up to something. whereas, number 5 had me on the edge of my seat ALL the time because all sorts of craziness was happening! i was EXHAUSTED by the time i finished that one!

so, i think jkr has a LOT of loose ends and story to tell in the next one.
    at first, i thought that maybe snape made it LOOK like he killed Dumbledore because they made a big deal out of doing spells without speaking this year. and they kept saying how good snape was at it. so i thought maybe snape did one spell, but said the other spell outloud...when harry saw the body, i knew that was over.
    i did wonder about dumbledore in this one...with the shriveled hand, and his more tempermental ways...i was curious to know if he was an imposter...showing harry the history of tom riddle so he'd feel bad for him...but maybe i'm just over reacting again...
    i thought there was something in there about how it couldn't be harry's mother who had the potions book because it was published too long ago...so i was kind of confused when they said it was snape's...because they're the same age...maybe i'll reread that again...
    i LOVE that the twins got the respect of hermione for their jokes/potions! and that she said their magic was actually very good! i wish i could have gone in there and high fived them! hehehe

one of the big things that shocked me was when harry used that spell from the potions book on draco and it drew blood. that was one of the first times i remember them saying a spell he did actually cut someone and made them bleed horribly...i was very shocked at that. all of the other spells made it seem like there was no outword problems. no blood. just stuns, shocks, etc. even the ones voldemort uses, didn't seem to be gorey...just pure evil...
    and i'm hoping that dumbledore will have discovered a way to live on as well...only in a good way...not in the way voldemort did...kinda like obiwan in starwars! hahaha. that way he'll always be there to guide harry!
    okay...that's enough for now...i'm off to reread!

oh..ps...
    did anyone else get try to buy a copy from borders and didn't have a preorder? i preordered mine from amazon, but my debit card expired...and my bank took 3 weeks to get a new card to me (just came yesterday). so i had to cancel my preorder...i figured borders would have TONS of copies...well the one by me? if you didn't have a preorder, you couldn't buy the regular book. you had to buy the $60 special edition one...i was FURIOUS! how could they do that?!
    so, i went to barnes and noble, where i bought the regular hardcover book for $17.99, and they gave me harry potter tattoos, stickers, glasses, a wand kit, and a wrist band with the date the book came out and an owl on it! HOW COOL IS THAT?!
    and what's even better? i went to work this morning, and i wasn't the only one wearing it! hahaha

so yeah...i was pissed at borders...
    3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....
    No there've been some gory spells previously. What I want to know is who Snape wanted to use that on, pretty nasty spell to think up.

Got to say though, I felt so bad for Malfoy in this one. I know, I know...bad guy and all, but he's still just a kid. I half expected him to start crying and run into D's arms at the end of the book.

And yes, I hear you on this one not being as suspenseful. I wanted to shake Harry in the Order the first time I read it. I was like "Hello! Psycho teachers should not be allowed to have you carve things in your hand! Tell someone already!" The second time I read it, I wasn't as angry though, the smoke didn't pour out of my ears anymore...

I look at book 6 as just a preparation for book 7. (So yeah I get it they're all preparations for the final book but this one especially gives more background than anything else...It was almost like J.K. was thinking,"Right, classes, and, shoot what's that game with brooms? Got to put that in there too..") Book tease...All I want is to read 7 now! Well that and Re-read HBP so I can pick up on anything I missed.
    Very silly, I know, but that scene with Dumbledore and Draco on the tower reminded me of the scene at the abbey in Sound of Music. "Come away with us. You're not one of them!" 8)

itsjustmeghan, about the potions book: it was published 50 years ago and probably belonged to Snape's mother Eileen Prince. That was how I understood it, anyway. I still think there is some connection with Lily, though. Slughorn mentioned her so many times!
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
    Arls wrote:
    I look at book 6 as just a preparation for book 7. (So yeah I get it they're all preparations for the final book but this one especially gives more background than anything else...It was almost like J.K. was thinking,"Right, classes, and, shoot what's that game with brooms? Got to put that in there too..") Book tease...All I want is to read 7 now! Well that and Re-read HBP so I can pick up on anything I missed.

Totally, totally agree on this one being a preparation book. Was just going to post on this. Book 6 is just leading us to the final confrontation between Harry and Voldemort in book 7.

And meghan, Snape's book was passed down to him from his mom, that's why the publication date is older.

ETA: Oh sorry, got a phone call while in the middle of typing and fuzzbucket beat me to it.
    PW- frenchfries

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file