CurlTalk

More expensive =/= better

Yeah, that's right. In keeping my new-ish idea that "less is more" when it comes to hair, I went first from ~5 products in a complicated routine a few years ago to Deva OneC + NoPoo + Angell a few months ago. Now I have cut down further to just VO5 CG-friendly conditioner with lots left in and some Angell.

That's like $25 --> $3 in savings! (accounting for the fact that I use a lot more of the VO5 than the Deva stuff) And I think my hair looks even better than before with more regularity.

Huzzah for thrifty, curly hair!

:wav:
3A low/medium porosity, medium texture

Current products:
Stylers: HE Tousle Me Softly, Condition 3-in-1 Mousse
Conditioners: Terax Crema, Mill Creek Botanicals Henna Conditioner
Cleanser: DevaCurl NoPoo

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Ftheevolutionofcurl%2F" class="Popup

Comments

• lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    GUANO/
    msjanani wrote:
    Huzzah

OK, my son says this! :shock: Where did it come from?! It obviously means something like "hurray", right?

/GUANO
  • SapphireWingstarSapphireWingstar Posts: 381Registered Users
    lazy loops wrote:
    GUANO/
    msjanani wrote:
    Huzzah

OK, my son says this! :shock: Where did it come from?! It obviously means something like "hurray", right?

/GUANO

I think it's an old-fahsioned form of "hurray". In movies at and Renaissnace fairs and stuff they say "huzzah" when they've defeated the enemy or when the it's the Queen's birthday or something.
    3b/c...or thereabouts.

Album: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fphotobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fa119%2FCrazyCurlyQ%2F" class="Popup

Password: curlomania
    (albums are on the lefthand side)
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    Consider yourself lucky. Every time I try to use a less expensive product the results are less than stellar. :? It's a bit annoying...
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • rejoicingcurlygirlrejoicingcurlygirl Posts: 654Registered Users
    lazy loops wrote:
    GUANO/
    msjanani wrote:
    Huzzah

/GUANO

They say it at Colonial Williamsburg. :cheers:
    3A; I have HG products!
    Curl enhancer: Mop-C curl cream
    DT: Deva Heaven in Hair; JC WDT
    Gel: B&A; Arc Angel
    Conditioner: Deva OneC; JC too shea
    Frizz fighters: CK, JCS C&S
    PW: curlynow
  • msjananimsjanani Posts: 624Registered Users
    huzzah is civilization!

Current products:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Ftheevolutionofcurl%2F" class="Popup
  • shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    msjanani-- congrats!!! i'm doing kinda the opposite of you. i started out trying to use as few products as possible, but i just keep adding more to my routine...maybe i should control my pj!!

as for the guano, i know huzzah from pirates of the caribbean!!!
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

• jlpmom23jlpmom23 Posts: 755Registered Users
    Your hair looks really good, very shiny and healthy!
    Which VO5 are you using?
  • FearnotsomuchFearnotsomuch Posts: 368Registered Users
    My hair is to stuck up.. it is only ok with using VO5 once in a while as a co-wash. Everything else is apparently supposed to be over $10 depending on the size.
    In DESPERATE need of a haircut.
  • msjananimsjanani Posts: 624Registered Users
    thanks jlpmom23! I'm using the VO5 Herbal Escapes in Kiwi Lime Squeeze (99 cents at CVS) but I also picked up a bottle of Free Me Fresia last night. The herbal escapes line is basically the same ingredients-wise as the strawberries kind except for the smell, which I find a lot more pleasant.

Current products:

• CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    My hair is to stuck up.. it is only ok with using VO5 once in a while as a co-wash. Everything else is apparently supposed to be over $10 depending on the size.

Same here! grrrrr.
    2b/3a.
  • onegirlarmyonegirlarmy Posts: 90Registered Users
    My hair really likes Suave...For some reason though I really have to buy all the expensive stuff.
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    Good to see you're having good results with such a streamlined routine!

My hair is kinda split on what price-tag gets the best results:

For shampoos, co-washes and stylers, I prefer the cheap stuff (especially shampoo; I like to get the "make your own" shampoo bases as most of the "moisturizing" shampoos leave a bunch of residue on my hair.) Expensive gels tend to be so-so on my hair; BRHG, Arc-Angell, etc.

My leave ins are mid-priced, but I can't seem to find a non-pricey condish that's moisturizing enough, so the liter sized One C it must be, for frugality's sake.
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    My hair definitely likes the higher-end conditioners and usually the shampoos as well, but the 2 gels my hair has been lovin' lately are from the drugstore. :cheers:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yep, don't sleep on the v05 Strawberries & Cream and the Trader joe's Nourish!

• CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    msgiblet wrote:
    My hair definitely likes the higher-end conditioners and usually the shampoos as well, but the 2 gels my hair has been lovin' lately are from the drugstore. :cheers:

MsG - which two drugstore gels are you using these days?
    2b/3a.
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    CurlyinColorado: Since the weather has gotten cooler, my hair has really been liking the Suave Anti-Frizz Gel w/Aloe -- which I've had stuck back in my cabinet for the past year & now is discontinued -- :crybaby:-- but I've got a gigantic bottle of it, so at least it will last in my rotation awhile until I can find a replacement for it.

This week I've been using FX Special Effects Curl Booster Fixative Gel. My hair loves it! I don't even have to use my diffuser. I've been air drying, which I can never do, and my hair looks just as good as if I used the diffuser. My hair is saying a great big thank you! :cheers:

Got 'em both at CVS.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]