redcatwaves--need your advice re: retin A

journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
I just got a prescription for it--2.5. I have very oily, sensitive, acne-prone skin. I've got some hyperpigmention left over from the zits of ghosts past.
What will Retin A do for me? I'm hoping that i won't need to get facials any more--I go for the extractions & general exfoliation. (Someone with gorgeous skin told me that she never needs facials thanks to Retin A--and she's 59.)

Right now, i use Skinceuticals vitamin c serum in the a.m., wash with IS Clinicals cleansing gell, and use IS Clinicals' Active Serum at night. I don't have many wrinkles--thanks to genes. My biggest concerns are the hyperpigmentation and congestion. I'm happy with my general regimen, just wondering how to incorporate the Retin A.

Thanks!
3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I just got a prescription for it--2.5. I have very oily, sensitive, acne-prone skin. I've got some hyperpigmention left over from the zits of ghosts past.
    What will Retin A do for me? I'm hoping that i won't need to get facials any more--I go for the extractions & general exfoliation. (Someone with gorgeous skin told me that she never needs facials thanks to Retin A--and she's 59.)

Right now, i use Skinceuticals vitamin c serum in the a.m., wash with IS Clinicals cleansing gell, and use IS Clinicals' Active Serum at night. I don't have many wrinkles--thanks to genes. My biggest concerns are the hyperpigmentation and congestion. I'm happy with my general regimen, just wondering how to incorporate the Retin A.

Thanks!

If you can tolerate Retin-A, then you likely won't need facials anymore, because Retin-A will clear up your congested pores and just generally smooth your skin. It helps slightly with hyperpigmentation too, although it works even better on hyperpigmentation when combined with hydroquinone (Tri-Luma). The key to successful Retin-A use is tolerating it. I looked at the ingredients of the cleanser you're using:

Centella Asiatica, Sugar Cane Extract (a source of Glycolic Acid), Willow Bark Extract (a source of Salicylic Acid), Alpha Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Retinol (Vitamin A), Chamomile

And I don't see anything particularly irritating there (although I don't see anything particularly cleansing either...which makes me wonder if it's contributing to your congestion?). The glycolic and salicylic acids don't stay on the face long enough while cleansing to actually do anything acidic.

Anyway, start slow with the Retin-A. Once a week, then twice a week, gradually building yourself up to every-other-night, then nightly. Back off if you get irritation. Retin-A should be used at night, on clean skin, so you may want to move your Active Serum to the morning.
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
    thanks!

Re: cleansers. My derm gave me a scrip for Rosula--it's got sulphur in it. Wonder if that would help with the congestion? I'm going to stick with the Retin A for now, see how that goes, before I change up with other stuff. My skin is so persnickety, I'm afraid to rock the boat too much.
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file