Just to help those new to the CG way of life.

CurlyMom73CurlyMom73 Registered Users Posts: 123
For those new to the CG concept, I strongly recommend you read the thread stickied to the top and also eventually get Lorraine Massey's book itself.

I've been gone from the boards for a little while and am kinda surprised to see a few small misconceptions.

One of them being the questions about hairspray and mousse. Neither are technically CG, as Lorraine instructs the use of clear gels. Styling creams and lotions are a No No too, according to the book.

I hesitate to post more here as I strongly urge people to read her book. There is a lot more to being CG then merely stopping the use of Shampoo. It's in many ways a way of attitude and life if you wanna do it right.

I didn't post this here to upset anyone so I hope it is not taken that way. I just wanted to be helpful cuz if ya don't start out on the CG routine the correct way, things may go wrong and you may end up disappointed. I don't want to see that happen as being CG has literally saved my hair, and I know, if done properly, can save yours as well. I even tried to go back to shampooing and the reg routine for a while with disasterous results.

HTH :wink:
Corkicelli Now! YAY! Now all I have to do is update my avy pic. :)

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."- Albert Einstein

Comments

• generositytgenerosityt Registered Users Posts: 245
    Right now, I can't buy the book (I plan on doing so in a month or so) but could you comment on my routine please?
    I just started CG three weeks ago (Already love the results), I just use suave vanilla co twice one while my hair is still dry, I use my finger tips to massage my scalp, then rinse completely. I use oil to style the curls while my hair is stll wet, I put some oil in my hand and hold the curls, a few at a time. at the end I spray some water just in case my fingers caused any frizzes. That's pretty much it.
    right now I'm very happy with the results, definitely a better definition and a much healthier look. I am afraid of the build ups though, even though I think when the ladies here speak about the build ups they mean cones and protein (is that right?)
    Any comment is really appreciated
    Thaaaaaaankkkkkkkkkkkkkkkks
    A Mediterranean 3b lady
    In love with my curls, love love love
    CG since Nov/07

Co-Wash: VO5, Tresemme naturals, Fructis naturals
    Cond: Nature's Gate conditioners
    Stylers: Lotions made at home with coconut oil, honey, AVG, vegetable glycerin, OO, and EO.
    Gel: LA Looks sports gel for high humidity days.

Hair goal: Waist length healthy curls
  • onegirlarmyonegirlarmy Registered Users Posts: 90
    How awesome that you have such a simple routine! What kind of oil do you use? Do you use the Suave as a rinse out? Some people use heavier condishes, but if it's working for you that's cool too.

Yeap, when people speak of buildup it's usually cones and proteins. From what you've just listed that you use you don't need to worry about cones. And you'll know you have protein buildup/sensitivity when your hair starts feeling like straw and even breaking off. Not everyone has a problem with protein though.

Is there anything else you use on your hair?
    I use hot six oil.
    I use suave as rinse out too, I'm almost done with the bottle so I'm going to get VO5 the strawberry one to try it.
    I tried all kind of product since I started wearing my hair curly (I was 19 I'm 27 now) bt nothing worked for me except oils. I used to use lots of oil cause my hair was so dry, since I started going CG I use very very little comparing to what I used to put.
    Once in a while I warm some olive oil and put lots of it in my hair two hours before the shower.
    A Mediterranean 3b lady
    CG since Nov/07

Stylers: Lotions made at home with coconut oil, honey, AVG, vegetable glycerin, OO, and EO.

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Right now, I can't buy the book (I plan on doing so in a month or so) but could you comment on my routine please?
    I just started CG three weeks ago (Already love the results), I just use suave vanilla co twice one while my hair is still dry, I use my finger tips to massage my scalp, then rinse completely. I use oil to style the curls while my hair is stll wet, I put some oil in my hand and hold the curls, a few at a time. at the end I spray some water just in case my fingers caused any frizzes. That's pretty much it.
    right now I'm very happy with the results, definitely a better definition and a much healthier look. I am afraid of the build ups though, even though I think when the ladies here speak about the build ups they mean cones and protein (is that right?)
    Any comment is really appreciated

If it's working, then it's a good routine!

But according to the book, you are supposed to wash first with water or conditioner, rinse and then condition w/ conditioner. Some condish is supposed to be left in, and gel is supposed to be added on top. Some oils aren't water soluable, so you may have to be careful of that part. But your routine sounds fine, IMO. The book also includes recipes for deep treatments, spritzes and light clarifiers.

what co do you use as leave in?
    I will tell you about the ingredient of the oil I'm using when I get home.
    A Mediterranean 3b lady
    CG since Nov/07

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I've made two recent discoveries for leave-ins: [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Kinky Curly Knot today[/buylink] and V05 Strawberries and Cream. They're now my favorites. (Oils just don't work on my hair for some reason...but some people love them...)

• onegirlarmyonegirlarmy Registered Users Posts: 90
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in is loaded with oils. I like it a lot. Also, if you have a Trader Joe's near you their Nourish Spa is good for leaving in.

ETA:
    I mentioned the Trader Joe's because it's cheaper :happy2:
  • BrioBrio Registered Users Posts: 1,432
    Right now, I can't buy the book (I plan on doing so in a month or so)

You might want to try your local library to see if they have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • ElithiaElithia Registered Users Posts: 297
    I use VO5 strawberries and cream, it's great. My routine is extremely simple: shower, shut the water off, put a little conditioner in my hair, detangle, a little more conditioner, let it sit for a few minutes, then squeeze out. I don't even rinse after I condition. When I co-wash, I do it before I turn the water off so I can rinse it.
    Proudly CG since 8/10/06 - the story of my hair!
    Type: 3a/b, very thick
    Length: almost BSL wet
    Products: Suave coconut conditioner, coconut oil, Totally Twisted gel

Don't forget to be awesome!
  • "Lori K""Lori K" Registered Users Posts: 9
    I am new to to CurlMunity and new to CG. I have been letting my hair go curly since March. I am 41 and finally gave up the stress of trying to staighten and decided to like me the way I was!

I just bought the CG book on Monday and have started the whole process. I ordered DevaBlonde One condition and Deva Crul Angell and am waiting for them. I see alot of post about what condtioner to use but can anyone suggest a gel I can easily go out an get?? All I have is junk with "Cones!"

I am overwhelmed by all the products out there and what to try. Any help would be great.
    I think I am a 3a or 3b not even sure yet!!
    thanks
    Lori

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file