CurlTalk

Is it possible... w/o styling product?

Is it possible to get the gorgeous shiny, bouncy, hydrated hair as seen in model photos, without styling product?

Tell me how! :sad2:

Comments

• FearnotsomuchFearnotsomuch Posts: 368Registered Users
    I've tried to go without product and it just doesn't work. I need things to create definition in my hair and I definietly need stuff to control frizz! Without product I end up with a giant mess on my head!
    In DESPERATE need of a haircut.
  • rejoicingcurlygirlrejoicingcurlygirl Posts: 654Registered Users
    Even the models don't have hair like in the model photos. That's why i like to watch Americas next top model. you see the girls who are not all that attractive sometimes and then you see their pics and its like wow, its a wonder what make up hair and retouching can do.
    3A; I have HG products!
    Curl enhancer: Mop-C curl cream
    DT: Deva Heaven in Hair; JC WDT
    Gel: B&A; Arc Angel
    Conditioner: Deva OneC; JC too shea
    Frizz fighters: CK, JCS C&S
    PW: curlynow
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    Yeah, I knew they were all made up. I was dreaming & hoping that someone somewhere actually had hair like that without anything in it & would spill the secret.

ETA: Is it possible with a moisturizer or leave-in conditioner? :wink:
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,144Registered Users
    I think it's possible, unless you're looking for perfectly frizz free and defined curls. :)

A good leave in can do that for me, since moisture/hydration= defined curls. I know when I use PM The Conditioner, I can go without any styling products and have nicely defined and soft hair, with minimal frizz. There's still some fuzz in the canopy area, but I don't like perfectly frizzless curls. Doesn't look particularly natural on me, anyway. LOL!
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs211.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb133%2Fshyygirl_2007%2F" class="Popup
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fnaturalurbanista.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2F3yxneol" class="Popup

DC metro area
    You've got to goop it on though, yes/no?
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    lazy loops wrote:
    Is it possible to get the gorgeous shiny, bouncy, hydrated hair as seen in model photos, without styling product?

I think for SOME people it's possible with maybe just a leave-in conditioner - just depends on the hair, I guess. I haven't tried it because since I'm a weak 3a, I figure my curl will just fall out without any hold from gels. But I might try it this weekend just to see what happens. Since my hair is longer, it's curlier and stays that way longer, so who knows? I could get lucky, especially since the weather is cooler...................doubt it, though.

Sure would be nice to not use products or deal with any crunch, wouldn't it? [sigh]
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    msgiblet wrote:
    Sure would be nice to not use products or deal with any crunch, wouldn't it? [sigh]

Yes it would & that's what I'm getting at.

I'd love to have moisturized-looking hair with just a leave-in or oil, if absolutely necessary, but without it looking oily & weighed down.

I guess it's not possible.

ETA: I've done the no styling product thing off & on for some years & it's not pretty. I've used just a leave-in during those times too & didn't get the results I wanted.
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    lazy loops wrote:
    I guess it's not possible.

NOOOO, don't give up yet. Maybe someone will still pop in with the secret to amazing product-free hair.

Yep, I'm delusional, but hey, you never know, right? :happy2:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • onegirlarmyonegirlarmy Posts: 90Registered Users
    I decided to go productless today. I conditioned with Suave Mountain Strawberries, rinsed it completely and scrunched in a nickel size of Generic PM The Conditioner. I plopped for 15 minutes and diffused with the pixicurl method.

It's still drying, but it's not too bad. It's maybe 2b all around.
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users
    lazy loops wrote:

If you ever find the magic potion for that one, be sure to post it. My hair is a fuzzy mess if I don't put something in it. :pukeright:
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
    Okay, so my hair is completely dry now. The curls and waves are a teeny bit looser than usual, but it's going to be a pretty decent hair day I think. I might have been able to leave a little more in though. :happy2:

Tomorrow I'm going to try it with DevaCare OneC.
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Somewhere on these boards was a pretty long thread about going productless. OneC seemed to be the leave in conditioner that people had the best results with. Maybe someone can find the link....

I bumped the thread for your reading pleasure. It's on the 3A board.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
    ewenique wrote:
    Somewhere on these boards was a pretty long thread about going productless. OneC seemed to be the leave in conditioner that people had the best results with. Maybe someone can find the link....

I bumped the thread for your reading pleasure. It's on the 3A board.

Now that you mention it, I think I remember some sort of thread around about this & I might have posted on it! I might have tried it very briefly & I can't remember what I used. Anyhow, I don't know what the thread was called, when it took place & where it was. That would have been a fruitless search.

Thanks!

ETA: Yeah, I did try it & with disastrous results, but I've never used One Condition, so I was using something else.
    Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:24 pm

Well, after two days of non-work testing I now believe that my fuzzy-wuzzy problem was due to not using products. The big test comes tomorrow when I'm back at work, in the greenhouses. I've always got frizz there, but nothing like what I recently got fed up with & had for years on & off... clown/cotton candy hair.

I guess I'm officially off the no-product wagon. See 'ya gals! Take care!
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,144Registered Users
    lazy loops wrote:
    You've got to goop it on though, yes/no?

Nope. I apply what I normally would apply(maybe alittle more) when I apply a creme styler or gel. With PM the Conditioner, not much is needed. I guess since I'm not looking to manipulate it or have it look a certain way, it works for me. Also, my hair will ALWAYS have frizz. There's no getting around this, especially since my hair is cottony in nature.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs211.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb133%2Fshyygirl_2007%2F" class="Popup
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fnaturalurbanista.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2F3yxneol" class="Popup

DC metro area

Yeap, I was just looking at it last night :thumbright: Thanks for bumping it too.
  • ShicurlsShicurls Posts: 46Registered Users
    FYI I went productless for a long time when my hair was much shorter. I was using AOHR, left a tiny bit in after the last rinse and them scruched in som Burt's Bees Avocado Butter Pre-shampoo treatment. I had amazing shiny curls. Only problem was that some days if I accidently put too much in my hair would be greasy. :angry3:
    I am growing out a pixie. I am a 2C who used to be 3A/B. I miss my curls....

Returning to CG method
    CO Wash: Sauve and VO5
    CO: AOHR (HG) and GVP Conditioning Balm
    LI: Suave or VO5
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, Biotera Gel, LALSG

I have a love affair with Coconut Oil!:love8:

"A life lived in fear, is a life half lived." ~Strictly Ballroom
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,020Registered Users
    i have not been using styling product for about a year now. i use just GF regular CO as leavein most days, sometimes one C sometimes boots. it works fine on my hair. i do use a big glop of it but have quit using my CK and gel-just for special occasions
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fbanjolady%2F" class="Popup
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Flazycurls" class="Popup
    Only problem was that some days if I accidently put too much in my hair would be greasy. angry3
    Blech, I hate it when I do that! I feel so gross and cannot wait until I'm able to rinse it out.
  • SapphireWingstarSapphireWingstar Posts: 381Registered Users
    Well I know that Ana from Devachan only leaves in OneC from her cowash and that's it. And she has GORGEOUS hair.
    3b/c...or thereabouts.

Album: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fphotobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fa119%2FCrazyCurlyQ%2F" class="Popup

Password: curlomania
    (albums are on the lefthand side)
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    I think it really depends on your hairtype.
    3b-3c CG
  • cara4curlscara4curls Posts: 336Registered Users
    "I think it really depends on your hairtype." - JuicyTube

Yes, I'd have to agree with that one! For those of us with mixed-texture, irregular hair, believe, the right styling products can make a HUGE difference. Personally, my hair is nowhere near as good productless as with my trusty LA Looks gel(the bright turquoise one for curls). The only time I go productless is for exactly one day out of the month, the day before I color my hair, so there's no styling product residue of any sort(clarifying is key here, and the good conditioner). Let's put it this way - it's not a pretty sight(especially now, since I do need that trim I'm getting tomorrow afternoon)!
    I think if one's hair is a consistent texture in the 3B-C range, one could likely go without products, but then again, maybe I'm wrong! Or maybe if one is consistently 2B-C(wavy).
    health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
  • ShicurlsShicurls Posts: 46Registered Users
    So I went productless yesterday, and I had shiny curls that didn't get messed up during my massage. Which let me tell you after a scalp masage that is unheard of :laughing9: The thing I didn't like was that the curl in the areas of my hair that are regressing into 2B was really non-existant. But I am going to try it agian today with different rinse out condish. I used TooShea yesterday, today i will use AOHR. I scruched in some NG Herbal condish and I will do the same today! Wish me luck!
    I am growing out a pixie. I am a 2C who used to be 3A/B. I miss my curls....

Returning to CG method
    CO Wash: Sauve and VO5
    CO: AOHR (HG) and GVP Conditioning Balm
    LI: Suave or VO5
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, Biotera Gel, LALSG

I have a love affair with Coconut Oil!:love8:

"A life lived in fear, is a life half lived." ~Strictly Ballroom