Te he he .... another RC disaster!!

KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
I just used the box of #20 on my roots (remember the box that I bought to mix with #13 to get #17?). I couldn't bring myself to just throwing it away so I thought, "what the heck, it's lighter than #18 that I should be using so what could go wrong?" Well...... my roots came out canary yellow. It's a good thing I have two more boxes of #18 on the way!!! :laughing9: But in the meantime, I have a yellow halo :angel5:
KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.

Comments

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Tweet tweet. :duckie: Silly girl! Halloween was last week! :laughing9: Did you ignore my Motto (see sig line, I added it last week)?! At least it will be covered up when you get the other color. :) :angel8:
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya Banned Posts: 956Banned Users
    I dyed my hair yellow one time. I was so freaked out! Fanciful (temporary hair dye) was a lifesaver for me. I put that on everyday until my hair was in a condition to be dyed again. It actually made my hair look nice - kind of a beigy shade. I'm glad I only spent $6 on that color job - RC is expensive, isn't it? I never spend much on haircolor after I spent $60 for salon highlights that turned me into a platinum blonde (I just wanted caramel highlights). Never again - at least when I do a cheap at home job that messes up, I have only myself to blame and a few $$ lost. I would try Fanciful if you want a temporary fix. I never try to lighten my hair without a bottle of Fanciful on hand.
    "I'm half Hispanic, half white, and look like an Indian." - Bill Richardson
    CM - RC is only $10 a box, worth it for gentle coloring.

Salon highlights have never worked for me. :mad: They never give me the color I want. That's why I do my own with RC's highlighting kit and color. :D
  • CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya Banned Posts: 956Banned Users
    CurliLocks wrote:
    CM - RC is only $10 a box, worth it for gentle coloring.

Salon highlights have never worked for me. :mad: They never give me the color I want. That's why I do my own with RC's highlighting kit and color. :D

Oh, $10 isn't bad. For some reason I thought it was pricier than that. I may have to check out their highlighting kit. I used a store-bought one, and you can hardly tell I did anything. Maybe I should've skipped the toner shampoo, but I was afraid it would be too light if I didn't.
    "I'm half Hispanic, half white, and look like an Indian." - Bill Richardson
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    CurliLocks wrote:
    Tweet tweet. :duckie: Silly girl! Halloween was last week! :laughing9: Did you ignore my Motto (see sig line, I added it last week)?! At least it will be covered up when you get the other color. :) :angel8:

Yes, I must admit....I did ignore your motto! I should have known better after almost turning my hair Ronald McDonald Red the first time. My order should be here tomorrow. My husband can't wait. I put on a chartreuse sweater tonight and he made the comment that my roots matched!! :laughing9:
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
    Yes, I must admit....I did ignore your motto! I should have known better after almost turning my hair Ronald McDonald Red the first time. My order should be here tomorrow. My husband can't wait. I put on a chartreuse sweater tonight and he made the comment that my roots matched!! :laughing9:
    OMG that's funny! Hopefully, you haven't had to go out much with the yellow roots. :) I hope the other color covers it well. Did you shampoo the roots really well to get some color off?
  • sessac81sessac81 Posts: 690Registered Users
    Salon highlights have never worked for me. They never give me the color I want. That's why I do my own with RC's highlighting kit and color.

Ooohhh... I've never tried to do my own highlights. Is it hard?
    :) Vanessa :)
    CG since 9/2007
    medium texture; slightly porous

Currently loving:
    anything from CJ, KBB Luscious Locks Hair Mask, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    sessac81 wrote:
    Salon highlights have never worked for me. They never give me the color I want. That's why I do my own with RC's highlighting kit and color.

Ooohhh... I've never tried to do my own highlights. Is it hard?
    It's not that hard, but I've only used the cap method so far. You pull dry hair thru the holes and apply the highlighter. You can see some info in my Highlights album (links below). I want to try doing my own pintura highlights some day, but that may be harder to see the back for individual curls.
    CurliLocks wrote:
    OMG that's funny! Hopefully, you haven't had to go out much with the yellow roots. :) I hope the other color covers it well. Did you shampoo the roots really well to get some color off?

I didn't use the RC shampoo --but I did co-wash first with Sauve Naturals and rinsed it well, then diffused until 99% dry before applying. I'm sitting here with the heating pad on my head while it cooks. I'm going to do 35 minutes and then pull the color through for the last 15 minutes.

Curlilocks, do you shampoo with the RC shampoo afterwards? Will it hurt to just rinse it and co-wash again with Sauve? The last time I had my hairdresser color my hair she insisted on using shampoo to "stop the color." I thought she was just making an excuse to use real shampoo instead of the No-Poo that I brought with me.
    KurlyKarenLee

Curlilocks, do you shampoo with the RC shampoo afterwards? Will it hurt to just rinse it and co-wash again with Sauve? The last time I had my hairdresser color my hair she insisted on using shampoo to "stop the color." I thought she was just making an excuse to use real shampoo instead of the No-Poo that I brought with me.
    I usually use the shampoo, but them I'm not full CG; however, it is a gentle shampoo. But I have just CO washed afterwards. It just helps remove excess color from your scalp, but a good CO wash can probably do that too. You don't have to worry about stopping the RC Color as it stops after an hour anyway. But the hairdresser could be right in that you should shampoo standard color (peroxide/ammonia formulas) so they stop and wash out the damaging chemicals.

LMK how it comes out. :)
    CurliLocks wrote:
    I usually use the shampoo, but them I'm not full CG; however, it is a gentle shampoo. But I have just CO washed afterwards. It just helps remove excess color from your scalp, but a good CO wash can probably do that too. You don't have to worry about stopping the RC Color as it stops after an hour anyway. But the hairdresser could be right in that you should shampoo standard color (peroxide/ammonia formulas) so they stop and wash out the damaging chemicals.

LMK how it comes out. :)

It came out beautiful! Exactly the color I've been trying to achieve. The first time, I didn't leave the #18 on the ends long enough. The roots turned out the right color, but I still had a lot of highlights that didn't match my roots. I left it on a total of 55 min (35 on the roots and 20 all over) and it blended in my highlights to match the "highlights" (ie grey) at the roots. #18 is definately the color for me. Next time I order, I'll order a 6 mo. supply. How long is the shelf life anyway?
    KurlyKarenLee

BTW, I loved the smell of the RC shampoo. I did use it after the color and loved the way it made my hair feel nice and silky. I'm usually strickly CG, but once a month probably won't hurt.
    KurlyKarenLee

• banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    wow karen what a saga!! i am a big fan of RC #18--just bought 10 boxes. i use the Rc shampoo before coloring and then co wash w suave after, then use RC co as leavein. avoid honey for 24hrs. i love theproducts and that the color does not feel damaging or smell bad. i must admit tho i have never done a strand test! :oops:
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
    banjocurl wrote:
    wow karen what a saga!! i am a big fan of RC #18--just bought 10 boxes. i use the Rc shampoo before coloring and then co wash w suave after, then use RC co as leavein. avoid honey for 24hrs. i love theproducts and that the color does not feel damaging or smell bad. i must admit tho i have never done a strand test! :oops:

You must have gotten lucky!! :alien:
    KurlyKarenLee

It came out beautiful! Exactly the color I've been trying to achieve. The first time, I didn't leave the #18 on the ends long enough. The roots turned out the right color, but I still had a lot of highlights that didn't match my roots. I left it on a total of 55 min (35 on the roots and 20 all over) and it blended in my highlights to match the "highlights" (ie grey) at the roots. #18 is definately the color for me. Next time I order, I'll order a 6 mo. supply. How long is the shelf life anyway?

Yay! I was away this last week and missed this one trying to catch up. I'm glad you found the perfect color. :) Next time, you'll just need to do the roots, and maybe refresh the ends every other time or so.

A 6 month supply is a good idea. The color will last longer than that, I'm sure. I'll have to ask RC how long it lasts since I order so much at a time too.

Pictures?? :D
    CurliLocks wrote:

Yay! I was away this last week and missed this one trying to catch up. I'm glad you found the perfect color. :) Next time, you'll just need to do the roots, and maybe refresh the ends every other time or so.

A 6 month supply is a good idea. The color will last longer than that, I'm sure. I'll have to ask RC how long it lasts since I order so much at a time too.[/quote/]

Do you think I'd be able to use 1/2 box for just touch-ups? My hair grows so fast (about 1" per month), I have to touch it up every two weeks.
    KurlyKarenLee

Do you think I'd be able to use 1/2 box for just touch-ups? My hair grows so fast (about 1" per month), I have to touch it up every two weeks.

What happened to the quotes?! I fixed mine in the post above, sorry it messed up yours too. :oops:

Anyway, to answer your question: Yes, 1/2 box should be enough for a root touch-up. I can get away with that if I don't go too long before touch-ups. Just remember to use only 1/2 the water too, I've forgotten and had to add the rest of the powder after all. :P Be sure to close the powder bottle well so it keeps.
    Just an update on the shelf life. From RC/Karin, the shelf life of all his products is at least 3 years. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file