"Extras" series on HBO

Botticelli VenusBotticelli Venus Posts: 109Registered Users
Somebody loaned me the DVDs from this series -- it's a very depressing show BTW, and I pretty much fast-forwarded just to see who the guest stars were--but disturbingly, they dissed the curly-wavy headed extra in this way:

There is a Scottish girl who plays the kind of female counterpart to Rick Gervais' character. She is constantly trying to meet men on the set as an extra, and consequently having many upsetting one-night stands. You know she's probably going to end up with the Gervais character, though you keep hoping she'll meet someone better. (I said it was depressing!)

Anyway, this girl when you see her off the movie set, is supposed to have this lovely, pretty curly/wavy blonde hair. She also has her apartment barely decorated, more like a student than a grown-up. One day she has been left by the latest guy and the phone rings and it's her mother begging her to call and tell them she has grown up at least and has a proper job and is not just frittering her life away, etc.

The next scene is you see her throwing out all her toys from the apartment, and the very next is she's straightening her hair with a flatiron. To become more of a grown-up.

Then she ends up going off with the Gervais character anyway. It's very sad but at least he liked her before.

I hope she goes back to her curly hair in the next episode. It actually looks pretty both ways, but you know she's abandoned her core self, and that was very sad to me.
Julie Benz: "I really loved on Angel when we would do the flashbacks and I'd have the big, wild, messy long hair that was thick and full and that's how God meant for me to look."

Comments

• imported__moptop_imported__moptop_ Posts: 145Registered Users
    Is this a reality show?
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes! I recently saw this episode, too, and thought it was a lousy message to send about curly hair. (The show is weird in general -- I like Gervais but I find a lot of the humor in that show just too mean-spirited.) The blonde girl was so cute with her curly hair!
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • Botticelli VenusBotticelli Venus Posts: 109Registered Users
    She was curly again for the rest of the shows, but also they made her character so dumb that was a bad message as well: "cute curly headed blondes are bimbo-heads".

No, the show isn't funny at all; even Gervais' fans seem to dislike it.
    Julie Benz: "I really loved on Angel when we would do the flashbacks and I'd have the big, wild, messy long hair that was thick and full and that's how God meant for me to look."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file