More Magazine

CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I haven't checked if this is a duplicate topic.

But, I saw More magazine at my doctor's office this week and liked what little I was able to read (before going in). I bought the current edition last night so I can check it out at my leisure.
I really like that this magazine focuses on the over 40s woman. What make-up, clothing, hair styles work better. I know it's been out for a while. I remember when it first came out I thought a magazine for 'older' women made sense. But, I wasn't 'old' like that, so I didn't pay attention. Ha! First, 40 isn't old. And now I'm thankful for this magazine.
I got so frustrated reading other popular magazines because everything is targeted at the 20-something woman. Finally, I (hopefully) can look through a magazine and not have to 'adapt' the styles and looks for an older body/skin.
:cheers:
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.

Comments

• KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    I've never seen More. Where did you find it?
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I love More Magazine!! Most of the ads in it feature older models, too. And I agree, it's nice to read articles that are geared toward women my age, with similar interests.... More Mag. can be found everywhere -- grocery stores, drug stores, bookstores...

Their website:

http://www.more.com/more/?_requestid=14403&_requestid=14403
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    I got a subscription after Rou mentioned it in a Happy Birthday post to CelticCurls! Oh, and I saw a copy at work (people bring in their old magazines to share).

I find the stories really inspirational. So many women are doing exciting things during the second half of their lives...it makes me more aware of how "settled" and "the die is cast" my own attitude is. I also really like the medical tips.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I bought my copy at Walgreens. Marg Helgenberger is on this month's cover. The one I picked up at the doctor's office has Holly Hunter on the cover. I'm about to log off and go read more now.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Posts: 780Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've subscribed since I was 39. I'm 44 now. It's not my favorite magazine (Self and Body+Soul are), but I like the idea of it.
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I bought my copy at Walgreens. Marg Helgenberger is on this month's cover. The one I picked up at the doctor's office has Holly Hunter on the cover. I'm about to log off and go read more now.

Two of my favorite gals! :cheers:

I'm going to be looking for this magazine. Thanks for the plug!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    My BFF got me a subscription to MORE last year and it's now my favorite magazine.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • Lori JLori J Posts: 52Registered Users
    I love MORE, too! It's the only magazine I've read where I actually like the clothes and can envision wearing them. The health stuff and the overall writing are really good too. I loved the Anne Kreamer story about going gray.

Lori
    That Anne Kraemer story was my inspiration for no longer coloring my hair. So I cut it all really, really short (1/2 - 1 inch) last September, cutting off all of the processed color. Now it's to the bottom of my neck in the back, shorter in the front with layers. It's healthier than it's been in years and curling fairly well - for me. And with the increased curls, I don't even notice the gray that much! Or maybe it's just that I don't have as much as I thought. Or maybe I'm just more comfortable with myself. IMO healthy hair (whatever the color) beats dried, processed hair every time. And I just couldn't seem to keep my hair healthy while coloring it.

To sum up, and get back OT, I think More Magazine is helping me be more comfortable and confident in my 40's. :cheers:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• Lori JLori J Posts: 52Registered Users
    You go, 2poodles! I had the same reaction and stopped coloring on 10/19/06, then I cut off all my hair soon thereafter. My last big cut was in August, now I'm growing it out somewhat. Don't think I'll go back to where it was before (2-3 inches past my shoulders). I don't notice the gray as much either, and my hair is healthy like when I was in high school and not doing anything to it except for washing occasionally.

Lori
    Yipee!! :hello1:

• legette68legette68 Posts: 216Registered Users
    I am on year two of my subscription to More magazine and I am 39. I look forward to receiving it in the mail every month. It is one of my favorite magazines.
    Thick, coarse 3C hair:coffee:
    BC Feb 2009/ relaxer free since 06/08
    Second time around!

http://public.fotki.com/legette68
  • opalexyopalexy Posts: 5Registered Users
    I really like this magazine also. I started reading it at my doctor's office and have been so hooked I get their weekly email newsletter. It is usually a repeat of the magazine but sometimes you get some information that is not in the magazine. It is great to know that there are other women out there struggling and overcoming some of the same issues I have.
  • latetocurlslatetocurls Posts: 127Registered Users
    I really like this magazine, too. I've been subscribing to it for over five years. It's so refreshing to have a magazine that is targeted for us rather than 20-somethings.
    Laura

Fine, 3A, but a lot of it.

http://public.fotki.com/latetocurls/

PW: Curly
  • starinastarina Posts: 665Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I subscribed for a couple of years and liked it lot. KurlyKaren, you can find it almost anywhere magazines are sold. It's pretty cool to have a stylish magazine geared to women over 40.
    I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
  • kcurlskcurls Posts: 205Registered Users
    I like More too, and read it regularly, but I have to say that I get tired of the upper-middle class fantasy world of women's magazines in general, More included. As much as I love a good reinvention narrative, these stories all tend to hinge on some sort of influx of cash - the "divorce settlement,' or the 'sale of the software firm,' that eventually leads these women to open the surf school in Costa Rica, or achieve the post-menopausal yoga body. Just saying.

Also, I noticed that that a column that used to be called "What to Wear for the Rest of Your Life," has changed its name to something, er, less dramatic. Thank god. I can just imagine myself laid out in my coffin in a trapeze dress with peep-toe pumps. Geez.
    3A - fine, just above shoulder length, w/red color and highlights.

Product: Suave Coconut leave in, Joico Joiwhip mousse, Angell or F/X Curl booster on wet hair. Sometimes rotate in ReCoil/CK.

Routine: Scrunch with cloth diapers, then use Shellynot's clipping method. Diffuse a bit without touching hair. Leave clips in at least half and hour. Remove clips and air dry.

Day 2: Pineapple, no product.

DT once a week with DevaCare OneC

ALSO:
    "I got a crush on Obama."
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    kcurls wrote: »
    I like More too, and read it regularly, but I have to say that I get tired of the upper-middle class fantasy world of women's magazines in general, More included. As much as I love a good reinvention narrative, these stories all tend to hinge on some sort of influx of cash - the "divorce settlement,' or the 'sale of the software firm,' that eventually leads these women to open the surf school in Costa Rica, or achieve the post-menopausal yoga body. Just saying.

Also, I noticed that that a column that used to be called "What to Wear for the Rest of Your Life," has changed its name to something, er, less dramatic. Thank god. I can just imagine myself laid out in my coffin in a trapeze dress with peep-toe pumps. Geez.

ITA.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Love the magazine! Recently re-newed for 2 more years.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    curlie3 wrote: »
    Love the magazine! Recently re-newed for 2 more years.

Ditto on both!

cynaminbear, I am impressed that you got called into your doc's office before you finished reading the magazine :laughing6: I usally grab a few mags while waiting due to finishing at least one before I get called back. :wink:
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well, I forgot to take the magazine with me. I sat in that room in a stupid paper gown and top for an hour! I seriously thought about making a break for the waiting room to grab that magazine.
    Instead, I took a nap!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file