Nurse RedCatWaves...got a question about blood sugar...

KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
My blood sugar has been all over the place lately. I've almost passed out several times and have resorted to wearing a medical alert bracelet and carrying Smarties and/or jelly beans ALWAYS after almost passing out while jogging a couple of blocks from home. Even with the ADA diet and exercise it bounces between high (180-200 1-2 hours after eating) or low (50-70) --never at 100 where it's supposed to be. Fasting blood sugar has been 115-136 -usually on the higher side. I know my numbers aren't dangerous high or dangerously low, but it's an indication that I'm getting closer to having to taken oral medications because it's NEVER 100 where it's supposed to be. At what point do they put people on medication? I really don't want to get to that point --but I think it's inevitable.

BTW, my Dr. appt. is Dec.3rd. I'm trying my best to keep better records this month to show her. I'm afraid of that dreaded "diabetes" diagnosis. :sad10: I think my doc said you get a diabetes diagnosis with six consecutive fasting blood sugars of 126 or over. I'm at about 5 out of six now.
KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My blood sugar has been all over the place lately. I've almost passed out several times and have resorted to wearing a medical alert bracelet and carrying Smarties and/or jelly beans ALWAYS after almost passing out while jogging a couple of blocks from home. Even with the ADA diet and exercise it bounces between high (180-200 1-2 hours after eating) or low (50-70) --never at 100 where it's supposed to be. Fasting blood sugar has been 115-136 -usually on the higher side. I know my numbers aren't dangerous high or dangerously low, but it's an indication that I'm getting closer to having to taken oral medications because it's NEVER 100 where it's supposed to be. At what point do they put people on medication? I really don't want to get to that point --but I think it's inevitable.

BTW, my Dr. appt. is Dec.3rd. I'm trying my best to keep better records this month to show her. I'm afraid of that dreaded "diabetes" diagnosis. :sad10: I think my doc said you get a diabetes diagnosis with six consecutive fasting blood sugars of 126 or over. I'm at about 5 out of six now.

I've always heard two or more FBS over 126 is definitive for a T2 diabetes diagnosis, so if those are your numbers, you're probably at the diagnosis already. Docs usually try diet first, but if your weight is in the normal range and your BS are still unstable with the ADA diet, you'll probably go right on oral meds.
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users

I've always heard two or more FBS over 126 is definitive for a T2 diabetes diagnosis, so if those are your numbers, you're probably at the diagnosis already. Docs usually try diet first, but if your weight is in the normal range and your BS are still unstable with the ADA diet, you'll probably go right on oral meds.

Bummer! That's not really what I wanted to hear but I've been battling this and trying to control it with just diet and exercise for about two years now. I eat healthier than 99% of the people I know, exercise faithfully 5 days a week, and am in the normal weight range for my height (5'4, 125-130). It's just so frustrating to be doing what I supposed to be doing and still struggling to keep my numbers where they need to be.

Thanks for your reply.
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file