Half-head of Highlights - advice please!

A-Slave-2-The-WaveA-Slave-2-The-Wave Posts: 47Registered Users
My hair is naturally light brown and used to be dark blonde when I was around about 11. My hair colour is a bit flat - so I thought maybe some blonde highlights would put a bit of definition and shine into my hair as my hair condition improves.

* Would this damage my hair?

* Would blonde look suitable for my colour hair - or should I opt for lowlights?

Advice would be very much appreciated!

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee131/A-Slave-2-The-Wave/

Password: waves

Comments

• onegirlarmyonegirlarmy Posts: 90Registered Users
    I think your hair is still dark enough that you could do highlights. Yes, highlights will damage your hair. I'm not sure how much, but I know that I'm 3a except on the top layers where the highlights were I'm 2a/bish. It would probably also depend on the current state of your hair, I completely trashed mine with bleach and color. If your hair's pretty healthy and you take good care of it afterward there's a good chance it'll bounce back :bounce:
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think some blond highlights would be fine. Usually they say it is safe to choose a color close to the color you were as a child. Maybe do some highlights in a similar color. But your hair color does look nice now, you don't need the highlights, unless you just want some change. :) But they will dry out your hair some, and could loosen the curl.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I think highlights would be very pretty. You might want to try getting just a few strands in your bangs to see if you like them. Bangs grow out and the color is gone a lot faster than if you color the sides and back of your hair. You can get highlighting mascara wands from Sally's. I bought a few and been using them on my bangs and grow out to cover up roots and blend my hair color (reddish ends and brown and grey roots). You can play with highlights and then use wash them out if you don't like them. $3.99 and no commitment if you don't like it.

Speckla
    Speckla - good idea for try-out highlights! :) I use one of those to cover roots until I can color, I should get a light color to add some highlights when I feel like having them awhile! ;)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Now only if they can invent straighten in a tube that leaves no damaged!!
    :laughing9:
    I'm all about playing with color that doesn't leave damage. I'm tempted to get the sparkly blue ones. :happy2:

Speckla
  • A-Slave-2-The-WaveA-Slave-2-The-Wave Posts: 47Registered Users
    Thank you Ladies for your advice! I've opted for a half-head of highlights - so only the top of my hair is coloured (so only what people can see when my hair is down. I booked today and it's for next saturday!!

I will have to take extra-extra care of my care once it's coloured - would oil treatments help such as jobjoba oil?

Pics a week today! :smurfin:
    Some good DTs would help, but don't start until at least a week after the highlights. I don't know about the oils, I don't use them. Good luck! Can't wait to see those pics. :)
  • onegirlarmyonegirlarmy Posts: 90Registered Users
    Good idea doing only the top. It'll still be a noticeable change too without possibly being to much.

Definitely wait at least 1 week to DT. I'm not completely sure, but I think I've read around here that Jojoba oil may not be enough to use as a treatment on its own. I hear it makes a wonderful light leave in. I use coconut oil and conditioner left in my hair overnight. My hair loves it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file