WINTER IS IN...HEEEEEEEEEELP!!

OK guys..winter is setting in TEXAS...and my curly hair is getting frizzier and drier..I just using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Benefits-Shampoo-p-36.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-benefits-shampoo]Elucence Moisturizing shampoo[/buylink] and conditioner along with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]JESSICURL CCSS[/buylink] and GS...

DO I need to change my routine for the winter...?

Alos I wanted to know what exactly is protein sensitivity and how do I know if I have it??

I dont think [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]JESSICURL CCSS[/buylink] is working for me as my hair has become more drier and is breaking much more than before(I DONT KNOW IF ITS BECOZ OF THE WINTER)...can u suggest some other gel which will keep my fine curls strong and bouncy and retain the moisture?
3a/3b(REALLY FINE AND VERY BRITTLE CURLS)
Could be I am PROTEIN SENSITIVE..so going off protein stuff to check out!!

Comments

• linda_mlinda_m Posts: 211Registered Users
    I'm not positive I completely understand your question. I *think* you're asking about how changes in weather/humidity should impact your routine(?). If that's right, then this article: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlcolumns/articles.php?id=32552, might help you out. It's a great explanation of how to change conditioning routines for low and high humidity.

If your hair feels dry and straw-like, despite loading on conditioner, then you might suspect protein sensitivity. If that's happening, and you're using a conditioner with proteins, try switching to a non-protein product to see if that helps.
    Couple of inches past shoulder length 3A. Shampoo every 3rd or 4th day w/ baby shampoo; Tigi Fashionista conditioner; back to Condition 3-in-1 mousse . Alternate days water rinse, conditioner and mousse.
  • mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Posts: 1,271Registered Users Curl Novice
    The Elucence shampoo and conditioner you're using both have protein, which definitely built up on my hair over time. I would look into investing in a moisturizing, protein-free shower regimen first, and see if that helps.
  • eutrepeeutrepe Posts: 50Registered Users
    Thanks LINDA and MF! What I had intended by my post was that my hair is becoming frizzier and drier since october...I was guessing it could be becoz of the climate change to winter in Texas...so I needed to know if I had to stop using my current products of elucence and jessicurl and start on something else...

The fact that my hair has become dry and more brittle since using elucence proves that I could mostly have protein sensitivity...

Hence can u PLEASE PLEASE suggest some really really good protein and cone free shampoo and conditioner(deep and daily) for my fine dry curly hair becoz I am in the process of wanting to buy new products for my hair...

IS MOP TOP a good brand for me to start with?
    MopTop has protein in its shampoo and conditioners, and if you really want to isolate the protein problem, it's best not to use protein for a period of time. I personally use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner (NOT the shampoo); it's a very moisturizing, super-thick, locally available conditioner with no protein, that'll run for about $8 for 11 oz. at health food stores such as a Vitamin Shoppe. As for shampoo, Trader Joe's Refresh ($2 for 16 oz) and Dove Cool ($4 for.. I don't know, something between 12 and 16 oz) Moisture are very cheap, local options. I don't think either are as gentle or moisturizing as the Elucence, but I think the AO HR makes up for it. I use TJ's.

I also think the AO HR would make a good DT, especially when mixed with honey.
    Thanks again...keep the advice coming....

Can u guys suggest some more shampoos which are of better quality...coz I really need a good shampoo that wont hurt my hair..I know CG means no shampoo..but I have to shampoo my hair as I workout in the gym everyday...

HOW are ABBA products?
    I believe Abba's got protein. Maybe you could try co-washing with a clarifying conditioner? I use VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea, which says "clarifying conditioner" on the bottle. Protein free and my hair and scalp feel clean after using it.

I use the TJ's only once a week, and co-wash or water wash in between. And I HATE having a dirty scalp.
    I still would like to know names of some good shampoos...in case u guys know some gentle moisturizing protein free brands..
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Have you tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Gentle-Lather-Shampoo-p-363.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-gentle-lather-shampoo]Jessicurl's Gentle Lather Shampoo[/buylink]? It's CG and protein-free...

Key Ingredients: Water, Decyl Polyglucose, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, C 12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Panthenol ,PEG 150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate, Fragrance, Propylene Glycol (and) Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I do have a trial bottle of the shampoo from Jessicurl..but it has zero lather and that makes my hair break while shampooing...

I make am looking for shampoos that will give me decent lather since I have very fine curly hair..that breaks real fast if there is any friction..
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There's winter in Texas?
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    As i mentioned before...I have really fine dry curly hair...what kind of DEEP CONDITIONER can i buy..?

I have never coloured my hair or striahgtened it or used a dryer on it...so if I use a reconstructer or reparative treatment..will that be abd for my hair?
    Winter is setting in....it gets pretty cold by december...but no snowing or anything extreme...just cold air...
    I was looking at a new product line..called MY HONEY CHILD...has anybody tried it out...was wondering if I could buy the coconut papaya paste..it has proteins in it...so was wondering if it would not be good for my protein sensitive hair...
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    Hi - this list might be dated but should provide some guidance. HTH
    2b/3a.
  • linda_mlinda_m Posts: 211Registered Users
    eutrepe wrote:
    I do have a trial bottle of the shampoo from Jessicurl..but it has zero lather and that makes my hair break while shampooing...

I make am looking for shampoos that will give me decent lather since I have very fine curly hair..that breaks real fast if there is any friction..

If you're looking for "gentle" and "lather", you may end up being disappointed. You don't need to get a lot of lather to get clean hair. Have you tried baby shampoo? I use Johnson & Johnson regular baby shampoo occasionally, when I feel like I need a deeper cleaning than I get from [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]Jessicurl HCC[/buylink].
    Couple of inches past shoulder length 3A. Shampoo every 3rd or 4th day w/ baby shampoo; Tigi Fashionista conditioner; back to Condition 3-in-1 mousse . Alternate days water rinse, conditioner and mousse.
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 697Registered Users Curl Novice
    Trader Joe Nourish 'poo is a great (and cheap) option -- the CO has protein but I don't think the 'poo does. If it does (just read the label first to be sure), try the TJ Refresh 'poo.
    If you think you might be protein sensitive and want to find out if you do better without it, then it wouldn't make sense for you to buy the My Honey Child stuff if it has proteins.
    Honestly, even if you work out and get sweaty, you don't need to shampoo. I run three times a week, and I do yoga three or four times as well. I've been CG since May and have only used 'poo (I use the TJ) about four times since then, and I don't need it for cleaning at all. It's a very nice product though, I and I enjoy using it. If you know how to properly clean your scalp by thoroughly massaging with your fingertips and use enough CO and then rinse it all out very thoroughly, your scalp and hair will be clean. If you aren't using silicones or other stuff that builds up on your hair, then you'll be fine.
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
    the advice has been grrrrreat! I am definitely going to try out the TJ shampoo and Aubrey's conditioner...if it works..then KISSES AND HUGS ALL AROUND!!

Just to follow on..what styling product is best for protein sensitive fine and dry curly hair like mine? IS [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]CURL KEEPER[/buylink] any good?
    still waiting to know whats the best DT and gel for my protein sensitive fine dry hair.....help!help!help!
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] is pretty good. I also like the Herbal Essences Body Envy and Set Me Up gels. I'm trying to find an alternative to CK because it's kind of pricey.
  • teshonteshon Posts: 1,127Registered Users
    There's winter in Texas?

I live in Texas, too. It gets kinda nippy. SheaMoisture seems to provide a shield against the chill! I'm not experiencing much dryness with the cold fronts.
    3c-4a; Protein Sensitive(forms of wheat, keratin, soy and anything "hydrolyzed"). My hair hates coconut oil and jojoba oil(sometimes).
    http://photobucket.com/teshon PW: crazycurls
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/teshonandfamily
    OK....I have ordered for the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]CURL KEEPER[/buylink]...and also for LONG LOVELY LOCKS GREEN TEA CLEANSE as a shampoo as the ingredients in it were very Indian herbs like...I think it will be good for my protein sensitive Indian hair...

Now the next step is my DT...its a choice between CURL JUNKIE Coco-milk conditioner or SHEAMOISTURE...hmmm? WOnder which one??? Both sound mouth watering!!!
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There's winter in Texas?

Lol, I know, I just looked at a map, and it's mostly in the 50s and 60s at 1230 in the morning. That's pretty warm!

Herbal Essences Set Me Up is a nice protein free gel.

Jessicurl's Weekly Deep Treatment is protein free also.

I like CK, but just for summer humidity. Being further south than I am, you'd have to gauge your humidity.

Aubrey organics Honeysuckle Rose is a great thick conditioner that is protein free. I'm not fine-haired, but I learned about it from a fine haired curly who likes it.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • latetocurlslatetocurls Posts: 127Registered Users
    You could try Chagrin Valley. Here's the URL: www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com

They have all handmade shampoo bars and they have all the ingredients listed. You can get samples to see what works for you. I love their Olive Babassu Shampoo bar.
    Laura

Fine, 3A, but a lot of it.

http://public.fotki.com/latetocurls/

PW: Curly
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    There's winter in Texas?

:laughing9:

Texas is so big that I remember we were driving from north of Houston to Dallas and it was warm in Houston and downright freezing in Dallas :shock: !

Eutrepe, where are you? I'm in the southeast part and it's finally gotten cooler here - my hair loves it and the change is a good one for me.
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
    HI FELLOW CGs...GOOD MORNING! Nice to see everyone sending in their advice to help mwah! Well, lots of talk about the weather in Texas..lets just say that the freakin' weather cant sem to make up its mind as to whether remain humid or cold..so how can I figure out whats good for my poor curls???? BUGGING!!!!

Anyways..made a list of my step by step procedure for my protein sensitive fine and brittle curly hair:

1)SHAMPOOING with Long Lovely Locks Green Tea Hair Cleanse OR Trader Joe's Refresh

2)CONDITIONING with Aubrey organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner ( this seems to be the unanimous choice of all!!)

3)DT with SheaMOisture Leave in OR Jessicurl's Weekly Deep Treatment

4)STYLING/FINISHING with CurlKeeper COMBINED WITH Herbal Essences Set Me Up OR Jessicurl's GS

Do let me know if I am going wrong anywhere....

And LAVENDERCURLS...I live in Houston...its just hot hot hot now!!
    ok..another doubt..there are 3 forms of a styling agent...

-gel
    -mousse
    -hairspray

Which one is the best for fine curly hair like mine that would not weigh it down?
    eutrepe wrote:
    HI FELLOW CGs...GOOD MORNING! Nice to see everyone sending in their advice to help mwah! Well, lots of talk about the weather in Texas..lets just say that the freakin' weather cant sem to make up its mind as to whether remain humid or cold..so how can I figure out whats good for my poor curls???? BUGGING!!!!

Anyways..made a list of my step by step procedure for my protein sensitive fine and brittle curly hair:

1)SHAMPOOING with Long Lovely Locks Green Tea Hair Cleanse OR Trader Joe's Refresh

2)CONDITIONING with Aubrey organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner ( this seems to be the unanimous choice of all!!)

3)DT with SheaMOisture Leave in OR Jessicurl's Weekly Deep Treatment

4)STYLING/FINISHING with CurlKeeper COMBINED WITH Herbal Essences Set Me Up OR Jessicurl's GS

Do let me know if I am going wrong anywhere....

And LAVENDERCURLS...I live in Houston...its just hot hot hot now!!

Your routine looks really really similar to mine, on certain days. So I approve! The only thing I would suggest, especially for the winter, is a leave-in. Since you'll have the SheaM anyway, maybe you could experiment with leaving a tiny bit of that in after your shower. HTH.

P.S. Let us know how the LLL Green Tea Hair Cleanse goes. It sounds really yummy, although I should probably just be satisfied with my TJ...
    eutrepe wrote:
    ok..another doubt..there are 3 forms of a styling agent...

-gel
    -mousse
    -hairspray

Which one is the best for fine curly hair like mine that would not weigh it down?

I'm not a fan of hairspray. I've heard good things about some mousses, but I haven't done enough research on them to see if any of the good ones are protein-free. For your fine hair, I would suggest trying the HE Body Envy; it seems lighter than the Set Me Up.
    do i use the HE Body envy gel or mousse?
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Eutrepe, I'm up here in Conroe for work and it's cool here even though the sun is finally beginning to peek out. It's supposed to be 82 here but I'm sitting here in jeans, a sweatshirt with my office door open and my heater on :laughing9: . I work in a warehouse and the shop stays cool once we finally have a cool front come through.

Texas weather can be weird even when the cities are closeby!
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file