Consultations

Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Curl Neophyte
I talked to another ob-gyn's office this morning, but they wouldn't do just a consultation. They said I had to actually bring all my records over from the other ob-gyn, fill out all their paperwork, and actually have an exam with the doctor in order to see her. (They said they only schedule consultations for women who aren't already pregnant.)

I could not get through to the lady on the phone that I couldn't know if I wanted to establish care with this doctor until I talk to her. Is this normal?

Comments

• geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    I had a consult before I joined my current practice. I was not pregnant at the time. I did have to fill out their forms and bring my insurance information, but I did not have to bring my medical records or have a medical exam.

I would NOT let anyone examine me if they would not take the time to talk ot me first. It would be a huge turnoff. I can see filling out the patient info and insurance stuff, because they do need to track and bill consults.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Curl Neophyte
    geeky wrote:
    I can see filling out the patient info and insurance stuff, because they do need to track and bill consults.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with that. But it was like I had to decide to switch everything over to them, sight unseen.

What's funny is if I hadn't told them I was pregnant, they couldn't know yet by looking at me, and I could have just had a consultation. :wink:
    geeky wrote:
    I can see filling out the patient info and insurance stuff, because they do need to track and bill consults.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with that. But it was like I had to decide to switch everything over to them, sight unseen.

What's funny is if I hadn't told them I was pregnant, they couldn't know yet by looking at me, and I could have just had a consultation. :wink:

Did they get your name? You can call back again and not say you were pregnant and try to get a consult, if this is a practice you want to investigate badly enough.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
    "geeky wrote:
    Did they get your name? You can call back again and not say you were pregnant and try to get a consult, if this is a practice you want to investigate badly enough.

:laughing9: Yes, they know, because my primary doctor recommended them and sent over a referral for me.

I'm in touch now with the LLL group here, and getting some recommendations from them, but I just didn't want to be examined by every doctor that seemed promising.
  • CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Registered Users Posts: 1,198
    That seems a little extreme to me too. That would be enough to turn me off of them. If you're jumping through hoops now....
    3b (I think!)
    HGs - Suave Nexxus Knockoff, Jessicurl Weekly DT, L'Oreal Out of Bed, HESMU.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGlamourGirlie
    http://curlyglamourgirlie.blogspot.com
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I talked to another ob-gyn's office this morning, but they wouldn't do just a consultation. They said I had to actually bring all my records over from the other ob-gyn, fill out all their paperwork, and actually have an exam with the doctor in order to see her. (They said they only schedule consultations for women who aren't already pregnant.)

I could not get through to the lady on the phone that I couldn't know if I wanted to establish care with this doctor until I talk to her. Is this normal?

That's ridiculous. You're 8 weeks? They should be able to set up a consult appointment. Do you really want to see this doc? The office sounds unyielding.

If I was in your shoes and REALLY wanted to see the doc, I'd just set up the initial appointment, fill out their paperwork and give them my insurance information, but I'd conveniently forget the records and I'd leave my clothes on and refuse the exam when I got there and just talk to the doc.
    Seriously, even in my drunk and slutty youth, I would at least require a 15 minute conversation with anyone before they got to poke around in my hoo haa.

• velvet pawsvelvet paws Registered Users Posts: 1,250
    geeky wrote:
    Seriously, even in my drunk and slutty youth, I would at least require a 15 minute conversation with anyone before they got to poke around in my hoo haa.

:lol:
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    geeky wrote:

:laughing9:
    :rambo:
    geeky wrote:

:laughing9: Thanks, Geeky! I needed to smile after thinking about this doctor situation all day!
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    geeky wrote:

/snort! :laughing9:
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    The office actually called me back yesterday and offered to set up a consultation, so I'm glad I didn't cave in the day before.

On another note, I finally called my insurance company directly and found out that I can use a group of certified nurse midwives that deliver at a hospital about 30-45 min. away. I've got a consultation set up with them as well, and that's probably who I'll switch to if the consultation goes well. I've heard really great things about all of them.

So, things are looking much brighter today! :cheers:
    Good news!

• iris427iris427 Registered Users Posts: 6,002
    The office actually called me back yesterday and offered to set up a consultation, so I'm glad I didn't cave in the day before.

On another note, I finally called my insurance company directly and found out that I can use a group of certified nurse midwives that deliver at a hospital about 30-45 min. away. I've got a consultation set up with them as well, and that's probably who I'll switch to if the consultation goes well. I've heard really great things about all of them.

So, things are looking much brighter today! :cheers:

Yay! Good luck! :)
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file