What products for a 9 year old curly? *UPDATE*

pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
My neighbor called last night and asked if I could show her curly daughter how to style and take care of her hair. I use salon products on my hair but I need to find products that they can buy at Target or Wal-mart. I have a brand new Herbal Essence gel I can use. My question is what kind of shampoo do you recommend and what kind of leave-in? Her hair looks to be a 2c/3a mix but I think could be even curlier if taken care of.

Please help with any advice or product recommendations. I really want this to be a good experience for her as I want her to love her curls not hate them as I did growing up.

TIA!

Comments

• pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    bump....anyone?
  • FearnotsomuchFearnotsomuch Posts: 368Registered Users
    Maybe some of the Circle of Friends products? I think I've seen them in target. The shampoos are low-sulfate (gentle) and smell yummy. They do make a leave-in conditioner. I would recommend getting some sort of detangler, since that is a huge issue at that age.
    In DESPERATE need of a haircut.
    Thanks for your reply. I will pick up some detangler too.
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    Paul Mitchell The Conditioner is a versatile non greasy leave in that seems to be loved by posters from 2a-4b. I like it and it's not too pricey and widely available. Some people use it as an all-in-one styler and leave in, which is very handy for a young girl, as you want to keep their routine to the minimum.

It tends to be on sale a lot, so try to pick it up then. A lot of people also like Sally's generic version.

Is there a Trader Joe's near you? The Nourish Spa conditioner is moisturizing, detangling, and cheap. Otherwise, there are always Suave Naturals and VO5 conditioners (you have to check the labels in this case as not all are CG), which are good for co-washing and conditioning. If her hair needs additional moisture, tell her mom to try adding a little honey to the condish.

I've also heard recs for the Nourish Spa Shampoo. I haven't tried it, so can't vouch for it, but it is sulfate free and is mentioned frequently on the boards. If she can't go totally CG, this should be a good option.

If you can get her a simple routine of cleanser/conditioner/leave in, I think that would be a great start to help her get beautiful curls without falling into the pattern of seeing her hair as a chore. Good luck. :)
    Thanks jeamaria! She is coming over this weekend. I agree about making her routine as easy as possible. I'm also giving her a wide toothed comb to use after applying leave-in conditioner. She currently brushes her hair when it is dry. Sometimes it's hard to give up brushing right away. I figure the combing wet hair is a better option. I've written down a lot of tips for her (that I have found on NC.com).

I wish I knew somebody with curly hair when I was growing up. All of my friends had straight hair and I did to my hair what they did to theirs. My nickname in high school was Poof. Ugh.

Again, thanks for the reply.
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Some type of spray gel would probably be really easy for her to use as well.
    Some type of spray gel would probably be really easy for her to use as well.

Thanks Amanda. I was debating whether to use a mousse or gel. I have a spray gel at home I can try.
    You're welcome, pinksugar. :)

I hope it goes well this weekend. Another alternative to regular dry brushing is using a brush like the Denman D4 or D3 when hair has leave in conditioner in it.

Some people are able to do this without getting poofy effects- it even makes their hair more defined. Some people's hair cannot handle it, though so it depends. I'm kinda in the middle- if I do it, I get poofy roots and ultradefined ends, but if I add a little more product, the poofiness disappears. Anyway, I think the wide-toothed comb should more than do the job. It's so nice of you to do this for someone. Good luck and let us know how things go!
  • Kasey314Kasey314 Posts: 308Registered Users
    One quick recommendation for a shampoo - Johnson and Johnson actually make a "baby" shampoo for curly/thick hair. It comes in a pretty big bottle, is rather cheap and can be found at Target etc. It's also great at getting out tangles, which may be a big deal for someone that age!

It's says it's a two-in-one, but I've just used it as a poo and it works just fine... here's what it looks like!

http://www.johnsonsbaby.com/product.do?id=59

I second the recommendation for suave condish, and sauve also makes at leave-in for curlies, along w/ some great gels (my hair is 2c, and I like gels better, fyi). All cheap and easy to use.

Good for you for being a curly ambassador! Don't we all wish we had someone at her age helping us out!! :wink:
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

CG since 9/06, modified since 3/07.

:coffee: <~~ Me every morning

Updated fotki 5/06/08
    http://public.fotki.com/Kasey314/

Products-of-the-moment: Loving Innersense right now: Pure Essential Hair Bath, Pure Inspiration Daily Conditioner and I Create Quiet Calm Curl Cream. Devacurl Angell is my go to gel, nothing else like it for me. Nature's Gate Lavendar and Aloe Nourishing Conditoner is always in my shower.

password - curly girl

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm looking forward to working with her hair. I may pick up the baby shampoo. I really want to find products that will be easy for her mom to pick up.

I'll let you know how it turns out. She has pretty hair and it looked healthy until she got frustrated and started brushing it so much to make it look kind of straight. Hopefully, I can help her feel better about her curly hair.
  • CurlyVeeCurlyVee Posts: 340Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Kasey314 wrote:
    One quick recommendation for a shampoo - Johnson and Johnson
    http://www.johnsonsbaby.com/product.do?id=59

I second the recommendation for suave condish, and sauve also makes at leave-in for curlies, along w/ some great gels

I totally agree!!!!

I am still using J&J and that came from my doc during my hair trouble....J&J make a BUDDIES line for older kids....it will always be in my rotation !!! Good luck hope all works out. :clown:
    Hyper Sensitive to many things !!!
    2017 Routine: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Cond as co-wash; 365 Fragrance Free Shampoo; Aloe Vera Juice , Water and Apricot Seed Oil as leave in. :blob3:When all else fails, I run back to KCKT and KCCC :thumright: Shampoo weekly - co-wash every 2/3/4 days - just depends :compress:
    **UPDATE**

My friend and her daughter just left and her hair turned out amazing! I kept the routine minimal as I don't want her to burn out on doing it. First, I shampooed her hair with Baby Shampoo. Next, I applied Abba's Nourishing Leave-in. She had a lot of tangles so I used a wide tooth comb after applying leave-in. I showed her how to dry her hair using a micro-fiber towel that I gave her. Then I applied Herbal Essence gel and still had to get some tangles out. I diffused her hair side to side and upside down. Once her hair was completely dry, I used Got2Be pomade to scrunch the crunch. I gave her everything I used, but need to pick up a diffuser for her tomorrow.

I taught her about co-washing. Her mom said her scalp gets very greasy so I suggested working with her to see what is best even just using shampoo on her scalp and not her entire head.

Her curls ended up being a 3a/3b mix. We have almost exactly the same hair. She has wonderful natural blonde highlights that really showed with her hair curly. She loved her hair!

They asked if I would style her hair again for an upcoming family picture. I would love too! It was so much fun.
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    How is that Johnson & Johnson shampoo for curly/wavy hair? I've been looking at that but am so gun shy now with non-sulfate so-called "gentle" shampoos that turned out horribly stripping that I'm now afraid to try any more!!!
  • Kasey314Kasey314 Posts: 308Registered Users
    lazy loops wrote:
    How is that Johnson & Johnson shampoo for curly/wavy hair? I've been looking at that but am so gun shy now with non-sulfate so-called "gentle" shampoos that turned out horribly stripping that I'm now afraid to try any more!!!

I would say that this poo is more harsh than deva's or jessicurl's poo. It contains cocamidoproyl betaine and sodium trideceth sulfate. My mom's hair is thinner and a bit oiler than mine, and she really likes it. I also like it, but it could dry me out if I wasn't careful. So, I am planning on buying it when my current supply of jessicurl and deva poos runs out, and cutting back on how often I poo, from 2-3 times per week to just once or so. HTH!
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

CG since 9/06, modified since 3/07.

:coffee: <~~ Me every morning

Updated fotki 5/06/08
    http://public.fotki.com/Kasey314/

Products-of-the-moment: Loving Innersense right now: Pure Essential Hair Bath, Pure Inspiration Daily Conditioner and I Create Quiet Calm Curl Cream. Devacurl Angell is my go to gel, nothing else like it for me. Nature's Gate Lavendar and Aloe Nourishing Conditoner is always in my shower.

password - curly girl

Kasey314 wrote:
    lazy loops wrote:

I would say that this poo is more harsh than deva's or jessicurl's poo. It contains cocamidoproyl betaine and sodium trideceth sulfate. My mom's hair is thinner and a bit oiler than mine, and she really likes it. I also like it, but it could dry me out if I wasn't careful. So, I am planning on buying it when my current supply of jessicurl and deva poos runs out, and cutting back on how often I poo, from 2-3 times per week to just once or so. HTH!

I haven't tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-lowpoo]Deva Low Poo[/buylink] but I have used [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Gentle-Lather-Shampoo-p-363.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-gentle-lather-shampoo]Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo[/buylink]. It was heavy for my hair. So maybe, just maybe, this J & J shampoo would work for me. :dontknow:
    lazy loops wrote:

I used the original baby shampoo. I couldn't find the one Kasey314 recommended but told her mom about it. I didn't even realize they had one for curly/wavy hair.
    pinksugar wrote:
    lazy loops wrote:

I used the original baby shampoo. I couldn't find the one Kasey314 recommended but told her mom about it. I didn't even realize they had one for curly/wavy hair.

Original baby shampoo is too harsh for my hair.
    lazy loops wrote:
    pinksugar wrote:
    lazy loops wrote:

Original baby shampoo is too harsh for my hair.

I haven't found a particulary gentle shampoo yet either. I'm currently using Abba Creme-Moist, it's better than what I used before but my hair is still a little dry after using it.
    Glad to hear it went well!

I notice you didn't use any conditioner-maybe this would have helped with the tangles. Trader Joe's Nourish conditioner has great slip. When it comes to leave ins, Giovanni Direct has *excellent slip*.

I think your idea of only shampooing the scalp might be best, maybe conditioner to wash the length, with shampoo at the root? Anyway, congrats again on helping out a young fellow curlie!
    jeamaria wrote:
    Glad to hear it went well!

I notice you didn't use any conditioner-maybe this would have helped with the tangles. Trader Joe's Nourish conditioner has great slip. When it comes to leave ins, Giovanni Direct has *excellent slip*.

I think your idea of only shampooing the scalp might be best, maybe conditioner to wash the length, with shampoo at the root? Anyway, congrats again on helping out a young fellow curlie!

I used the Abba Nourishing Leave-in conditioner. Do you suggest using a rinse out too? She said her hair tangles often.
    If her hair needs it, then I think rinse out is a good idea, especially as you will be using shampoo. Maybe a very light one, like Vo5 or Suave Naturals, if you think she might be prone to overconditioning. My hair is very dry so I always use conditioner AND leave in, but she may not be them same. If you add a rinse out, then one with good slip is a must for the tangles. I don't remember which VO5/Suave is best for tangles, so I can only rec TJ Nourish as far as cheap conditioners with slip are concerned.

Since the ABBA nourishing leave in seems to work well for curl formation, maybe adding a rinse out is key to help detangling, since the ABBA does not seem to have that much slip (from your description- I have not tried it personally).
    Thanks jeamaria for all of your suggestions! I have to go to Trader Joe's tomorrow so I'll pick up a bottle of the Nourish conditioner for her. My son also uses TJ Nourish poo & condish (although, he is a complete straighty).

Thanks again!
    No problem, pinksugar. I hope it works out well! :D
  • WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Posts: 780Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    A good detangler/leave in condtioner that the gals on makeupalley.com rave about is L'oreal Kids-the one in the green spray bottle that looks like a fish.

It as PEG-modified dimethicone which, if I learned correctly, is water soluable.

I use it a lot. It smells good-like pears.
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair used to tangle quite a bit too, I found though that the more conditioner I used and the more I left in, it got less and less tangly. Maybe her hair is just dry right now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file