Styling Curls for Interview, Presentation, or Office

I've always had short or medium hair, but it's now pretty long. I'm learning to love my waves and curls, but I'm bothered by the old idea that long hair is not professional-looking, and that hair that is "out of control" is not professional either.

Even when my curls look good I still have a bit of frizz. How would you wear your hair for an interview? A presentation at work? An average day at the office?

Do you ever judge someone as having 'unprofessional' looking hair, and if so, why?

Thanks!
2b/3a, fine, "naturally frizzy", non-porous, above shoulders, brunette
Low-poos--faves are Deva and JC, experimenting with CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
Conditioners: faves are Devacare One-C, Jessicurl Too Shea
Leave Ins: Conflicted relationship--no fave
Fave stylers: Aveda Flax Seed & Aloe over Aveda Phmollient mousse, KCCC over anything, Biolage Firm Hold Gelee (HG for spring/summer), CK

Comments

• wyldchildcurlswyldchildcurls Posts: 393Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    I usually wear the front portion of my hair pulled back (half up/half down look) for interviews or environments where I am not sure of the dresscode/expectations. Once you get the job you can usually judge by the other employees and dresscode what is appropriate in regards to your hair.
  • Chelle547Chelle547 Posts: 47Registered Users
    Redcelticcurls has pictures of her hair in various do's, up, half up and such. Many ideas and all very cute and professional looking. Take a peek and see if you like any.

I don't judge other people's hair as unprofessional but some employers do. And it seems to me that the consensus among them is that long hair worn down is unprofessional.
    3B/3A thick, medium texture, dark brown, waist length. Colorado Curly!! Denver area
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I don't think curly hair is unprofessional...but long hair in general that's flying around might be.

I agree. Check out Redcelticcurls' album or see if you can find a copy of Strictly Curls by Nicole Siri (where RCC got the ideas for the styles).

• kinihakiniha Posts: 233Registered Users
    Thanks for these good ideas. I agree that half-up, half-down seems to be a nice compromise--getting my hair "off my face," as my mother would say. (Do all mothers want daughters' hair out of their faces or was it just mine?)

And the pics by redcelticcurls are amazing. I definitely will need to check out this book, and perhaps invest in some hair accessories. (I like the ideas on styles and accessories on the homepage.) I'll start experimenting . . .
    2b/3a, fine, "naturally frizzy", non-porous, above shoulders, brunette
    Low-poos--faves are Deva and JC, experimenting with CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
    Conditioners: faves are Devacare One-C, Jessicurl Too Shea
    Leave Ins: Conflicted relationship--no fave
    Fave stylers: Aveda Flax Seed & Aloe over Aveda Phmollient mousse, KCCC over anything, Biolage Firm Hold Gelee (HG for spring/summer), CK

• RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 697Registered Users Curl Novice
    Kiniha,

I've wanted that book for ages and I finally caved and ordered it the other day. You can find a good deal on it from Amazon.com.

There are some other good threads on this same topic if you can find them. I think the "Strictly Curls" book was mentioned in some of them, so you could use that as a search term. Personally, I think it's obnoxious that people with curls or long hair are branded as "unprofessional" -- I think if your hair looks clean and cared for, that's all that's relevant. Of course if you work in an industry like food or healthcare, it needs to be pulled back or put up.
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file