Itchy scalp

YomYom Posts: 1,146Registered Users Curl Novice
What's going on? My scalp has been itchy for the last couple of days.
Is this a common CG problem??
3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
Modified CG since 08/10/2007
http://public.fotki.com/Curly-Y/ (updated september 6)
pw: currrly

Comments

• curlyclaudiacurlyclaudia Posts: 416Registered Users
    I don't know if its a common problem, but mine was like that about a week ago. I shampoo'd it real well with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-lowpoo]Deva Low Poo[/buylink] and it went away.
    3b, modified CG, short inverted bob living in Central Jersey
    Current faves: no poo, HE Hello Hydration, ck, Shea Moisture, Mixed Chicks
    PW colombia
    http://public.fotki.com/curlyclaudia/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• sessac81sessac81 Posts: 690Registered Users
    Mine was getting itchy for a couple of weeks. I mixed up some brown sugar and conditioner (equal portions; from CG book) and massaged it into my scalp, concentrating on the itchy spots. That helped a lot. But, be SURE to do it on a wet scalp. I made the mistake of doing it on dry hair... not a good feeling... LOL :) HTH!!
    :) Vanessa :)
    CG since 9/2007
    medium texture; slightly porous

Currently loving:
    anything from CJ, KBB Luscious Locks Hair Mask, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
  • YomYom Posts: 1,146Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thanks sessac i'll try that out tomorrow..
    Does anybody know where the "itchyness" comes from?
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Give your scalp a good scrub/massage while rinsing thoroughly. That may help, too. Itchiness might be caused by conditioner buildup on your scalp, or a reaction to something in the hair products.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • frazalifrazali Posts: 364Registered Users
    It may also be the changing weather. My skin is super super dry right now, and my scalp's been itching as well. I have to slather on the lotion, and my hands are pretty sandpapery.
    Variation of 3B/3C curls.

Amazed that I finally found a method that works for my hair! Diffuse until 60-70% dry, then let air dry for about an hour. Scrunch and leave it alone!

NYC
  • ParasolParasol Posts: 291Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    My experience: I scalp has greasy stuff on it ,it can itch too. My opinion is to shampoo that off. ( I use a sls free one)
    If scalp is just plain dry and looses white flakes (maybe because it's very cold) then I take a bit of conditioner and rub it on your scalp.

This is what I do.
    But in general I don't rub conditioner on scalp.

My hair/scalp is not greasy at all, and there are no flakes. It's just plain itchy, that's what's so weird...
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
  • sessac81sessac81 Posts: 690Registered Users
    My hair/scalp is not greasy at all, and there are no flakes. It's just plain itchy, that's what's so weird...

That's how mine was. It was horrible. I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on!
    :) Vanessa :)
    CG since 9/2007
    medium texture; slightly porous

Currently loving:
    anything from CJ, KBB Luscious Locks Hair Mask, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I haven't done this in ages, but I used to throw in a bit of epsom salt into my conditioner and massage my scalp when it would get itchy.
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
    Well, i guess I should try the brown sugar scrub then...
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    I've been fighting the itchies forever! When I first went CG and stopped using sulfates, it helped a lot, but never totally went away. I've tried everything under the sun, and the only thing that totally helped was oiling my scalp at least 3 times a week with either jojoba or evoo and sleeping in it. What a pain in the ars!

Well, I've finally found the problem and don't have a clue what to do about it. It's from diffusing my very wet hair. I do it on medium heat, but it apparently is just to much for my naturally dry scalp.

Air drying is disasterous for me, plus, living in a cold climate, not really smart either. If I let it dry on it's own for a while, and then diffuse, it helps, but my hair is crappy. Diffusing as soon as I'm done plopping is the only way for me to have 'good' hair. Oh, I've tried everything and every way. I'm screwed.

I've been letting it air dry at night and straightening in the morning, so no blow drying at all for about a week, and it's soooo much better. Almost gone. I'm NOT going to straighten forever (been there, done that), I just have to figure out SOMETHING!

I'm happy to have figured out my problem. Just not happy with what the problem is.......... icon_cry.gif
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • marinacurlzmarinacurlz Posts: 1,720Registered Users
    I know it's probably not CG friendly but I was told I should try it by a hairstylist I had when I lived in Medford, Oregon. It's main ingredient is veg oil. But it does cure my itchy scalp. It's got a strong ginger smell. You squirt it sparingly along your scalp on dry hair, then massage it in. Get in the shower and add some water and then it will lather. Just don't use too much or it will may make your hair greasy. I am not sure if they make it still, but I have had the same bottle for almost 5 years.
    http://public.fotki.com/TLGuerrero/

password: curly

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
    Co-wash: Suave/Vo5/TJ Refresh
    Rinse out & Leave in: Suave Tropical Coconut/Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up/Aussie Tizz No Frizz
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    sessac81 wrote:

That's how mine was. It was horrible. I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on!

If I don't rotate my products, that is the way I get. It doesn't seem to matter what I use, I have to rotate them. If I do that, I seldom get itchy. When I do, I know it is time to do a clarifying shampoo.

Maybe you could try changing up your products for a bit to see if that helps? :dontknow:
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • TwistedChickTwistedChick Posts: 58Registered Users
    I discovered that the Herbal Essences gels were making my scalp itch like crazy. After I stopped using them, the itching almost completely went away. Such a bummer to have to stop using them though, because I loved what BE did for my hair. :(

The other thing that has helped with my scalp itchies is to shampoo with a sulfate-free shampoo a couple of times a week. Conditioner and products really seem to build up on my scalp and make it itchy.

2c (Fia) with some 3a in the middle layer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file