I hate 'old' products that I try again

xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
For some reason even though I know LOOB does not work for me I used it today - nope still does not work. Why do I do that??? Bad bad bad hairday.
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~

Comments

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    :lol: Because we're hoping we were wrong and it may work this time around? ;) Been there, done that, bad hair. :P
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, that's why I got a crapload of products in my bathroom closet that I won't throw out or give away. Still hanging on to the hope, I guess. :wink:
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    This is why I get rid of the losers after giving them plenty of time to work their magic.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    I have some old stuff that will work now since my hair has gotten longer & curlier that wouldn't work when my hair was shorter & less curly -- and also because I was new to this site and less educated about curly hair. But I also have TONS of stuff that I have been hanging onto that I keep trying when I know that it is NEVER going to work whether my hair is cut up to my eyeballs or dragging on the ground or I become a curly hair genius -- IT IS NEVER GOING TO WORK!! I don't know what the problem is, but it's got to be either "hope springs eternal and a miracle might happen" or "the girl doesn't have both oars in the water". In my case, I'm afraid it's the latter. :tongue3:
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have been very good lately using up the conditioners I bought during the spring when I was on a conditioner buying spree. But for some reason I have some old sprays (and sprays dont work for me), some old curl creams (loob/GF curl cream) that have not worked no matter what the season, how long/short my hair is, no matter what I put under/over them - they must be thrown out! Today is rubbish pickup day - I should just do it!!!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote:
    I have been very good lately using up the conditioners I bought during the spring when I was on a conditioner buying spree. But for some reason I have some old sprays (and sprays dont work for me), some old curl creams (loob/GF curl cream) that have not worked no matter what the season, how long/short my hair is, no matter what I put under/over them - they must be thrown out! Today is rubbish pickup day - I should just do it!!!

A few months ago, I did manage to throw away a lot of stuff that I had before coming to this site that I knew I'd never use again. But since then, I've just been buying more stuff and holding onto it. I should put a lot of stuff up on the swap board, but the thought of having to wrap and box stuff and get it mailed just seems like a big hassle to me. How lazy is that??? :oops: Plus I still keep hoping the more expensive stuff might still work. Good grief.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chicpowerchicpower Posts: 222Registered Users
    well, neither jessicurl nor devacurl worked for me at first or for a while after. it took a lot of experimentation and time to get it to work...and now i adore both...
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    chicpower wrote:
    well, neither jessicurl nor devacurl worked for me at first or for a while after. it took a lot of experimentation and time to get it to work...and now i adore both...

Aaaggh! It's comments like that that keep me from getting rid of stuff that doesn't work! :wink: I keep thinking, maybe, just maybe I'll figure out how to use it and it will become my HG. UGH!
    A product has to really suck for me to get rid of it after just one use.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • ~GypsyCurls~~GypsyCurls~ Posts: 351Registered Users
    I am so guilty of this, although I've gotten a lot better as of late. For some reason I always bought those hard hold spiking gels...even though I've NEVER had the type of hairstyle where you could spike your hair. I always thoughtI'd use it for temp dreads or something like that. I would also always buy shampoo + conditioner in pairs of the same line/brand so I always had sooo much leftover shampoo. I'd end up using it as bodywash :) Nowadays when a product doesn't work for me I usaully pass it onto my hubby who has short, straight hair. Occasionally I will try to re use a product though, because I don't like waste OR wasting money.
    2c/3a/3b curls, tailbone length, fairy tale ends
    Cleansers: V05 Co
    Conditioners: KMS Everyday, Dove Dry Oil Care

DT/Treats:Aphogee Protein Treat/Hemp/Argan Oil
    Leave-ins/Stylers: All HE Condish, Generic PM The Conditioner

• CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    Yes, yes, yes. I finally shipped off [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink] to Mutterbutt, there was just NO WAY it was ever going to work for me.

These days, I very much want Innersense's curl creme to work, I keep using it, and it keeps not working. An endless cycle, because I will keep trying it, again again, again. Grrrr.

Jessicurl is a staple, I don't have the best hair days with it, but it's my go to, when I need relief from all my experimenting. That reminds me, I need to order RR :laughing9: perhaps I should sell something first, any takers for EMBC, Innersense or a tub of pink boots, LOL.
    2b/3a.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Just to add to my misery there is a salon next to my gym - big sign 30% OFF!! Of course I go in and once again, I buy a spray product!! Why do I want the sprays??? I have not tried it yet - I had never seen it before. Abba Pure Curl Prep Spray.

I also bought some joiwhip mousse.

Like MsG the thought of swapping tires me out so I took the easy way out. I know - bad curly!!
    Central Massachusetts

• laurabeth33laurabeth33 Posts: 1,443Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote:
    Just to add to my misery there is a salon next to my gym - big sign 30% OFF!! Of course I go in and once again, I buy a spray product!! Why do I want the sprays??? I have not tried it yet - I had never seen it before. Abba Pure Curl Prep Spray.

I also bought some joiwhip mousse.

Like MsG the thought of swapping tires me out so I took the easy way out. I know - bad curly!!

Yeah, Abba redid their entire line and trashed all the pre-Pure products.
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
  • laurabeth33laurabeth33 Posts: 1,443Registered Users
    I have a system that helps me with avoiding retesting unnecessary products.

First of all, I have a database of reviews. It started as a MS Word doc where I rated products with poor, fair, good, very good, or excellent with a few words about why they got that rating.

Secondly, any product that gets a poor or fair is out permanently. It gets returned (if relevant/new from a store), swapped (because sometimes it was a bad rating because I need a lotta moisture, etc), or trashed (have done this on some severely hated products that I simply couldn't send out into the curly population (Matrix Curl.Life, for example). Pretty much, if I get crimped frizz (wiry-looking), dry hair, or a fluffy, undefined poofball, nothing is going to change enough climate or application method-wise enough to warrent keeping it.

If a product is good and I tested it during a rainy day or in hot/warm temps, I will retest it in cooler temps if it showed curl shape promise but had more frizz than I prefer. Sometimes, a climatic change when a product had promise makes all the difference. I consider that a valid retest with purpose.
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file