What hair "type" am I?

I don't know what curly type my hair is. 2B? 3A?

It's um thick and frizzy and I normally straighten it, but I want to start wearing it curly (straightening it is too much hassle and I'm lazy). It's probably damaged from straightening it for the past two years. It doesn't really look like any of the pictures of the different hair types on this site. So, hmm?

Here it is, in any case. I've just discovered Dream Curls, so it looks a lot nicer than it normally does.

PICT0089-1.jpg

PICT0090.jpg

PICT0091.jpg

Comments

• Kasey314Kasey314 Posts: 308Registered Users
    Welcome hero! :happy2:

You're bangs are way cute, and you hardly have any frizz. I'm jealous ;). I'm not an expert, but I would say you look like a 2b right now. But the less you straighten it, the curlier it will get! Hopefully other will chime in as well with their "diagnosis" :laughing9:

You mentioned using Dream Curls... what other products are you using? Are you doing CG or thinking about it? Just curious.
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

CG since 9/06, modified since 3/07.

:coffee: <~~ Me every morning

Updated fotki 5/06/08
    http://public.fotki.com/Kasey314/

Products-of-the-moment: Loving Innersense right now: Pure Essential Hair Bath, Pure Inspiration Daily Conditioner and I Create Quiet Calm Curl Cream. Devacurl Angell is my go to gel, nothing else like it for me. Nature's Gate Lavendar and Aloe Nourishing Conditoner is always in my shower.

password - curly girl

• eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair is very similar to mine, although I'm probably old enough to be your mother! This site uses thickness as the main difference between the type 2 wavies. There is another method of classification called "Fia's" that gives more specific characteristics of the different types of waves and curls. Someone more computer savy might post a link to that site... Anyways, I'd say that you are a 2b or 2c. The difference is in whether you get any spirals. My underlayer of hair will spiral in places, so I'm a 2c. 3as have lots of curly spirals all over, and 3s usually stay curly even with shorter hair. 2s develop more curl the longer it gets, so the crown is usually looserwaves. Often if a 2's hair is cut short, it will be much straighter. HTH.
    If you try the CG method, your hair might develop more curls. In any case, you have very pretty hair!
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • scuffscuff Posts: 6Registered Users
    See, that's what's so confusing to me in trying to figure this out. My hair is mostly wavy, with some big, loose spirals in the front and some tighter spirals underneath. But the rest is just wavy, with a smaller S pattern, but some almost straight. If I finger comb it when it's dry, I can comb most of the curl out. Which would be 2b, right? But my hair curls up much more when it's shorter (right now I'm BSL. Been long most of my life, but in college I cut it just above my shoulders, and it curled right up) which is a 3 trait, right? I have so much hair that I wonder if it all just pulls the curl out, but it doesn't look curly like the rest of you 3s. And it gets so frizzy. I wish I had a way to post pics, :( It's frustrating to know what to do with it sometimes (though i do know more and am happier with it now than at any other time in my life) Sry for the guano. You're hair is cute :)
    CGing since 9/07, wavy 2 with some 3a and 3a tendencies (I think). Really I've always thought I was just wavy in the wrong places and unmanagable, so being curly is new to me.
  • no hero in her skyno hero in her sky Posts: 26Registered Users
    although I'm probably old enough to be your mother!

Hmmm, how old do you think I am? :wink:
  • no hero in her skyno hero in her sky Posts: 26Registered Users
    Kasey314 wrote:

You're bangs are way cute, and you hardly have any frizz. I'm jealous ;). I'm not an expert, but I would say you look like a 2b right now. But the less you straighten it, the curlier it will get! Hopefully other will chime in as well with their "diagnosis" :laughing9:

You mentioned using Dream Curls... what other products are you using? Are you doing CG or thinking about it? Just curious.

All I used today was Dream Curls and I washed just with Toni and Guy conditioner (for curly hair). And I air dried. I assume CG refers to the book, Curly Girl? I've ordered it, but it hasn't arrived yet...
  • Kasey314Kasey314 Posts: 308Registered Users
    Kasey314 wrote:

All I used today was Dream Curls and I washed just with Toni and Guy conditioner (for curly hair). And I air dried. I assume CG refers to the book, Curly Girl? I've ordered it, but it hasn't arrived yet...

Yes, but it also refers to the regime she suggest for your hair, which excludes sulfates and silicones. If you have wavy hair you are "allowed" to use a shampoo w/ milder ingredients, but if she classifies you as a botticelli or corkscrew curl you are off of suds all together. The book also mentions using a clear gel.
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

CG since 9/06, modified since 3/07.

:coffee: <~~ Me every morning

Updated fotki 5/06/08
    http://public.fotki.com/Kasey314/

Products-of-the-moment: Loving Innersense right now: Pure Essential Hair Bath, Pure Inspiration Daily Conditioner and I Create Quiet Calm Curl Cream. Devacurl Angell is my go to gel, nothing else like it for me. Nature's Gate Lavendar and Aloe Nourishing Conditoner is always in my shower.

password - curly girl

• eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For more information on the CG method, read the Sticky in the Going Shampooless forum. I think that Curl411 also has info.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file