Britax and tethering

CGNYCCGNYC Registered Users Posts: 4,938 Curl Connoisseur
I have a marathon. I think most people I know have the marathon, or another Britax. I don't know anyone who is using the tether and among us, we can't freakin figure out when you're supposed to use it and the manual is no help.

Is it for rear and/or forward facing?
Can you use it with LATCH or just with the seatbelt?
Do other carseats have tethers?
Are you supposed to use them, or are they just an extra precaution?

No one knows. It's a mystery.

If you have a Marathon, do you use the tether and is your child rear or forward facing and do you use LATCH or seatbelt?

Comments

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    CGNYC wrote:
    I have a marathon. I think most people I know have the marathon, or another Britax. I don't know anyone who is using the tether and among us, we can't freakin figure out when you're supposed to use it and the manual is no help.

Is it for rear and/or forward facing?
    Can you use it with LATCH or just with the seatbelt?
    Do other carseats have tethers?
    Are you supposed to use them, or are they just an extra precaution?

No one knows. It's a mystery.

If you have a Marathon, do you use the tether and is your child rear or forward facing and do you use LATCH or seatbelt?
    We use the tether.
    The seat is forward.
    We use both...that sucker ain't movin'! :laughing9:
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    We used it both rear and forward facing. Rear facing, we used to loop the other thingy around the base of one of the front seats, then hook the hook into that. Forward facing, there is a little loop behind each of the three seats in the back that I hook it to, and then tighten it. You can use it with latch or seat belts. I don't think it's necessary as not all cars have the loopy things, but I think it helps stabilize and immobilize the seat.

I don't know if other car seats have it.

On a similar note, I just found out that if you just have 4 latch anchors in the back seat, you are not supposed to use latch in the middle seat. Apparently some cars have 6 latch anchors, with a separate set just for the middle seat.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    geeky wrote:
    On a similar note, I just found out that if you just have 4 latch anchors in the back seat, you are not supposed to use latch in the middle seat. Apparently some cars have 6 latch anchors, with a separate set just for the middle seat.

This is true in our CR-V. We incorrectly latched our infant seat using one latch from each side (it seemed stable enough). But now we have our carseat on one side.

Another thing we learnt recently is that Latch is only approved to 40 lbs (or thereabouts, I can't remember the exact weight, but it is less than the Marathon). After that, you have to use the seatbelt.

I'm not sure when we're supposed to use the tether either. We used it the first time we installed our Marathon forward facing. But we keep moving that seat in and our and from one car to another and don't bother with the tether anymore.

• inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    geeky wrote:
    We used it both rear and forward facing. Rear facing, we used to loop the other thingy around the base of one of the front seats, then hook the hook into that. Forward facing, there is a little loop behind each of the three seats in the back that I hook it to, and then tighten it. You can use it with latch or seat belts. I don't think it's necessary as not all cars have the loopy things, but I think it helps stabilize and immobilize the seat.

This is what we did as well. I would not have known how to do this if we hadn't done a car seat check when we switched car seats.

If I remember correctly I think each car is different on the maximum weight that a teathered car seat will hold. I think my Expedition is 48 pounds. Once Chas hits 48 pounds I will need to seatbelt in the car seat. I'll probably just use both as safety measures. I'm guessing I need to check the Britax Boulevard for maximum weight for the teathering system as well....

We just switched Chas' car seat around. I think I'm actually going to go in and do another car seat check. They are free and they encourage you to come in for each stage of a car seat.

After my appointment, I'll try to remember all the rules and repost. :)
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Registered Users Posts: 850
    geeky wrote:

This is true in our CR-V. We incorrectly latched our infant seat using one latch from each side (it seemed stable enough). But now we have our carseat on one side.
    Okay you two, where did you learn this information?? I have Googled all over the planet and can't find this. We have our Britax (the Decathlon) LATCHed in the middle seat, but after making my husband check our car, have discovered that we do not have 6 tethers and have basically installed it wrong. But my husband won't believe me when I tell him how SMART the curlies are and he wants *proof* of our wrongness. I'm still going to make him fix it and move it to one side.

Now I'm off to check my carseat model number in the dark, because Google also told me that it's probably been recalled :shock:
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
    Oh, forgot to say thanks for this thread. If I hadn't Googled the LATCH business, I doubt I'd ever have discovered the recall on my carseat (yep, it's one of 'em). Or actually gotten around to registering my carseat which we should have done a year ago :wink:
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    geeky wrote:

Okay you two, where did you learn this information?? I have Googled all over the planet and can't find this. We have our Britax (the Decathlon) LATCHed in the middle seat, but after making my husband check our car, have discovered that we do not have 6 tethers and have basically installed it wrong. But my husband won't believe me when I tell him how SMART the curlies are and he wants *proof* of our wrongness. I'm still going to make him fix it and move it to one side.

Now I'm off to check my carseat model number in the dark, because Google also told me that it's probably been recalled :shock:

Here is what I found:
    http://www.thecarseatlady.com/vehicles/the_latch_system_11.html
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
    SP - it says so in the owners manual for our CR-V. Any chance you have the manual for your car?

And I certainly wouldn't call myself smart considering our carseat was incorrectly installed for almost a whole year. :oops:

I was recently reading a review for the 2007 CR-V (ours is a 2002) and this is the first year it comes with 6 Latches.

SP - it says so in the owners manual for our CR-V. Any chance you have the manual for your car?
    See, this is actually what's causing the dispute. Apparently our owner's manual (we have a 2005 Suzuki XL-7) actually says to latch it in the middle using the tethers from either side. I shall have to investigate more.

ETA: According to that link Geeky posted, we actually might be okay. It says that some manufacturers have designed the side tethers to permit using them. That would explain why our car manual says to do it. The link also gives a listing of car makers which don't permit using the side tethers, and Suzuki is not one of them.
  • M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    I have both the marathon and the "husky" for the kids up to 80 pounds. I use both the LATCH and the tether. Those seats dont' move for that LIFE of me.
    :rambo:
    geeky wrote:

Another thing we learnt recently is that Latch is only approved to 40 lbs (or thereabouts, I can't remember the exact weight, but it is less than the Marathon). After that, you have to use the seatbelt.

I'm not sure when we're supposed to use the tether either. We used it the first time we installed our Marathon forward facing. But we keep moving that seat in and our and from one car to another and don't bother with the tether anymore.

To the bolded, we have a Husky by Britax approved up to 80 pounds, and it doesn't say anything about not using the LATCH or the tether, it's a 5-ppoint harness seat...that's why we bought it instead of using the seat belt, as it was MUCH more stable than the other seat we had.

To you have a link to where it says that LATCH is only approved to 40 pounds?
    [quote="M2LR & CoTo the bolded, we have a Husky by Britax approved up to 80 pounds, and it doesn't say anything about not using the LATCH or the tether, it's a 5-ppoint harness seat...that's why we bought it instead of using the seat belt, as it was MUCH more stable than the other seat we had.

To you have a link to where it says that LATCH is only approved to 40 pounds?[/quote]

I think I also read it in the CR-V manual. But it was the saleslady at the store who brought it to our attention (my kid is still well under 40lbs so it didn't immediately concern us).

This is a quote from the carseat lady website that Geeky linked above. It doesn't sound like a clearcut issue.

Users must also be sure not exceed the weight limit for lower anchors of both the restraint and the vehicle.

Lower Anchors: There is no general consensus between vehicle and child restraint manufacturers as to the upper weight limit for the lower anchors. If the child restraint manufacturer's instructions, the vehicle owner's manual, or this table do not discuss the issue, it is best to assume that the maximum weight allowed for the use of the lower anchors is 40 lbs.

Hmm.

I will have to look into that a bit more.

It's the reason that we ought the gigantor Britax Husky (or whatever it's called now) was to get that extra tether and LATCH for my five year old...I was too nervous with the booster and seat belt for him.
    Looks like the Britax Husky says to use the shoulder belts and not the anchors if the child is more than 48 pounds, and to use the tethers for 56 pounds...I think. The page won't reload for me, but I know it said to always use the tethers.

Guess I will be weighing Lil Roo when I get home. I have no clue how much he weighs.
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    Looks like the Britax Husky says to use the shoulder belts and not the anchors if the child is more than 48 pounds, and to use the tethers for 56 pounds...I think. The page won't reload for me, but I know it said to always use the tethers.

Guess I will be weighing Lil Roo when I get home. I have no clue how much he weighs.

DH actually prefers to do the shoulder belt install (with the clip) rather than fiddle with the Latch. On one of our carseats (the Alpha Omega) the belts that are used with Latch are incredibly difficult to tighten so we always used the shoulder belt to install it.

M2LR & Co. wrote:

DH actually prefers to do the shoulder belt install (with the clip) rather than fiddle with the Latch. On one of our carseats (the Alpha Omega) the belts that are used with Latch are incredibly difficult to tighten so we always used the shoulder belt to install it.

I was also reading that installing the seats using the LATCH was labelled most difficult in my car (Hyundai Santa Fe). No kidding. I friggin' HATE taking the seats out of it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file