Newborn vitamin K injections?

KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
Has anyone declined this? DH and I have been researching routine infant procedures, and we're leaning toward declining this as long as the birth goes well (no forceps, bruising, etc.) Right now, my plan is for me to take a vitamin K supplement, so the baby can get it through breastmilk. I've read I should watch out for signs of jaundice. Is there anything else I should know or watch for?
*Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin

Comments

• PhDCowPhDCow Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Curl Connoisseur
    You are so much more informed than I was!

When the demons were born, I was on the OR table and hubby didn't know what to look for, so we had no idea what was going on!
    God doesn't give special kids to special parents. He takes ordinary, imperfect people, and gifts them with his greatest treasures. And therein, he creates special parents.

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I refused the Vit K injection with my 3rd baby...born by c-sec. I felt she wasn't in need of it because the birth wasn't rough on her. So, I just said no. I had to say it loudly, but they did abide by my decision. With my 4th baby (homebirth), the midwife did end up giving him the Vit K injection. We talked about it thoroughly before she did it (she carries it but doesn't generally give it) and finally decided that because the actual delivery had been very fast, and the baby's face got a little banged up on my tailbone in his quick exit, that it was probably a good idea to go ahead and give it to him.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    Vitamin K deficiency is a clotting disorder, right? So I assume you'd want to keep out for unexplained bruises on your newborn.

My son was a vacuum-assisted delivery so we opted for the injection.

• geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    It may be required by law, in which case you need to file a religious/philosophic exemption form. The laws vary by state
    http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/florida.htm
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • iris427iris427 Registered Users Posts: 6,002
    Bailey, have you thought about whether to refuse the eye goo too? The prophylactic antibiotic ointment they put in the baby's eyes. From what I know, it's basically that they assume every woman has gonorrhea or chlamydia, which can be passed to a baby during vaginal delivery and cause blindness. I think it's kind of upsetting that they just assume that, and I have never heard a hospital worker say that--they just say it's in case of infection. :?

Anyway it makes the baby's vision blurry, so you may want to request they delay this until after the first hour, so the baby can see your faces during the first hour.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    iris427 wrote:
    Anyway it makes the baby's vision blurry, so you may want to request they delay this until after the first hour, so the baby can see your faces during the first hour.

Yup, that's the plan. I was going to just ask them to delay everything an hour, but then I started reading about the possible side effects of the Vit K. I haven't heard anything terrible about the "eye goo," so I think we'll let them do that one (after the initial bonding period).

Thanks for pointing it out. Next time I'm at the doctor's, I'm going to ask for a complete list of routine infant procedures and the state and hospital's official policy on declining ones we don't want right away or at all. Poor babies... they're barely out before they start poking and prodding them. :(

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • iris427iris427 Registered Users Posts: 6,002
    Bailey422 wrote:
    iris427 wrote:

Yup, that's the plan. I was going to just ask them to delay everything an hour, but then I started reading about the possible side effects of the Vit K. I haven't heard anything terrible about the "eye goo," so I think we'll let them do that one (after the initial bonding period).

Thanks for pointing it out. Next time I'm at the doctor's, I'm going to ask for a complete list of routine infant procedures and the state and hospital's official policy on declining ones we don't want right away or at all. Poor babies... they're barely out before they start poking and prodding them. :(

Yeah I know, what a shock for them! I always think the heel prick seems the worst, the way they just jab that thing into their heel. Ouch! It seems like there would be a more gentle way to draw blood from a newborn.

With the eye drops, there is a risk to any antibiotics; you could get that information just to be sure. I think that's a good idea to ask for a list of newborn procedures, and have someone stay with the baby as much as possible while they're in the hospital.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
    With the eye drops, there is a risk to any antibiotics; you could get that information just to be sure. I think that's a good idea to ask for a list of newborn procedures, and have someone stay with the baby as much as possible while they're in the hospital.

Not only are there risks to any antibiotics, but the erythromycin ointment that they use only covers gonnorhea and chlamydia, AND you need more than one treatment if the baby actually contracts those infections in the birth canal and the babies who really need the additional treatments aren't getting it. So, the OB/peds industry is full of crap when they say they have reduced neonatal STD conjunctivitis with the prophylaxis treatment at birth. We have the same rates of these eye diseases in newborns as we always did, AND we may be inadvertantly hurting some babies because parents think their babies are cured of anything eye related because they've had the ointment when they actually may need additional treatment. But, we have LAWS governing this in all 50 states, and once you have a law, even if it's a bad law, it's difficult to get rid of it.

I worked at Planned Parenthood, and one of my co-workers got chlamydia in her eye because she got splashed while washing speculums. She had a b1tch of a time getting rid of it...she needed WAY more than one dose of antibiotics in her eye.
    So the eye antibiotics don't keep the baby from getting group B strep if I end up having that? All they cover is chlamydia and gonorhea? That's kind of silly, considering I was tested for all those when I got pregnant, and it's not like I've been sleeping around since then. :P

• geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    Bailey422 wrote:
    So the eye antibiotics don't keep the baby from getting group B strep if I end up having that? All they cover is chlamydia and gonorhea? That's kind of silly, considering I was tested for all those when I got pregnant, and it's not like I've been sleeping around since then. :P

Welcome to lowest common denominator public health law.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
    Bailey422 wrote:

No, the newborn abx ointment does not cover GBS. They are only treating for GC and chlamydia and they're really not even treating it properly, because if your baby has a conjunctivitis STD, one dose of the ointment will not cure it. But the hospital (and government) doesn't expect you to be able to think for yourself so if you go in there refusing it, you can expect to have child protective services possibly called on you...even though their treatment is WORTHLESS.

The OB industry is full of these situations. They do not practice evidence-based medicine. They do things mainly because they have always been done that way...from continuous electronic fetal monitoring, to pitocin induction/augmentation, to newborn care....they do what they want, what is convenient and easy for them, what keeps them from being sued...not what has proved to be good medical care.
  • webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
    no vitamin K shot or eye goop or shots.
    we did to the heel prick thing but it was about a week or so later.

I was instructed to "sun" the baby for a few minutes each day.
    hello.world.
    webjockey - have you decided not to vax as well? I'm kind of on the fence on this one. I feel like vaccines may really do more harm than good, but I don't know if I could forgive myself if my kid gets something that has a vaccine. I know I need to have more confidence in myself, but it's hard when it's your child you're making decisions for... So much riding on my choices right now.

Bailey422 wrote:
    webjockey - have you decided not to vax as well? I'm kind of on the fence on this one. I feel like vaccines may really do more harm than good, but I don't know if I could forgive myself if my kid gets something that has a vaccine. I know I need to have more confidence in myself, but it's hard when it's your child you're making decisions for... So much riding on my choices right now.

Are you going back to work and putting the baby in daycare? Most daycares require vaxes given as per the AAP schedule.

The people I know who completely forego vaxes actually WANT their children to get measles and pertussis and rubella and polio and all the rest. They WANT them to get natural immunity. I think they're a bit nuts myself, but I do agree with delaying vaxes whenever possible so as not to overload immature immune systems.
  • webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
    Bailey422 wrote:

We're still pouring through research. It may be that we do vaccinate for some but use alternate methods of vaccination.

We are also in the fortunate position of not having to do daycare. My MIL does watch him for most of the day and is avaialble at a moment's notice at any time for care.
    hello.world.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    Bailey422 wrote:

Are you going back to work and putting the baby in daycare? Most daycares require vaxes given as per the AAP schedule.

The people I know who completely forego vaxes actually WANT their children to get measles and pertussis and rubella and polio and all the rest. They WANT them to get natural immunity. I think they're a bit nuts myself, but I do agree with delaying vaxes whenever possible so as not to overload immature immune systems.

I live in a conservative Christian, fairly anti-vaxing community and its actually making me more certain that I want to vax because I don't think there is going to be any herd immunity imparted to my kids living here. My son is up to date, but I'm going to spread out the new baby's vaccinations over the first 2-3 years so while both kids are still at home. We'll be up to date by preschool.

My only concern is the same as yours (RCW) in that there is no need for a responsible parent to take their kid in once for 4 shots, which I am perfectly capable of taking him/her in 4 times and give his system a little break. I have no overall concern about vaccines though. No question in my mind that they save lives and are good for society at large.

• cosmicflycosmicfly Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    But the hospital (and government) doesn't expect you to be able to think for yourself so if you go in there refusing it, you can expect to have child protective services possibly called on you...even though their treatment is WORTHLESS.

The OB industry is full of these situations. They do not practice evidence-based medicine. They do things mainly because they have always been done that way...from continuous electronic fetal monitoring, to pitocin induction/augmentation, to newborn care....they do what they want, what is convenient and easy for them, what keeps them from being sued...not what has proved to be good medical care.

Yeah, I was threatened with child protective services by a pediatrician (the reason I switched practices). Maya was a bit jaundiced, and I refused to bring her back to the hospital for a 4th heel stick (the lab had messed up the 3rd). (A different hospital than where she was born). My response was that if they were so concerned, they should just give her the phototherapy (it was January and very cold- difficult to expose her to lots of sunlight) rather than continually torture my 4 day old daughter, but he threatened me and I took her in. It was below zero outside, and she was screaming. It was scary and so upsetting. Even though logically, I knew I was right, and the ped from the hostpital she had been born in was confident in my ability to monitor her for a few days (he had called me at home to check and recommended that she be seen in a couple of days), it's just so unnerving and terrifying to be threatened like that.

I'm using the same hospital this time (I'd have her at home, but this place is like a hotel, I couldn't have asked for a better birthing experience). Their standard practice is to delay all that junk for a few hours, and they pretty much left me alone except for when I needed them or to gush over the baby.

I work full time and my kids are in daycare, so they need to be vaxed on schedule.

Those paragraphs were only semi related, weren't they? Oh well, I think I covered everything.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file