post partum hair loss..does it grow back???

subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
okay my hair has been coming out with a vengence. i thought it was nothing to be alarmed at, but my mom and my SO have made comments about my thinning spots (you can see my white scalp!!!!!) so apparently others are noticing.

does it grow back?? because this is NOT cool.

Comments

• iris427iris427 Registered Users Posts: 6,002
    I thought postpartum hair loss was just the result of all the extra hair from pregnancy falling out. So that your hair would go back pretty much to the same thickness it was before. Am I wrong?
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    thats what ive been telling myself, until i actually looked in the mirror and alot of the original stuff is coming out. like, you can actually see the white part of my scalp. and that part is white because its never seen the sun before.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, it grows back...but I've never lost so much that I had bald patches. Maybe you should see a dermatologist.
    RCW, ive been meaning to ask you...how the hell are you so smart!?

seriously, you know everything (or at least seem to have an educated opinion). are you an actual doctor or do you have several degrees or just above average intelligence?

im TOTALLY being serious. i wish i were a genius like you. tell me your secrets!
    subbrock wrote:
    RCW, ive been meaning to ask you...how the hell are you so smart!?

seriously, you know everything (or at least seem to have an educated opinion). are you an actual doctor or do you have several degrees or just above average intelligence?

im TOTALLY being serious. i wish i were a genius like you. tell me your secrets!

I'm no genius. I've just been alive for a very long time and learned things as I went...usually the hard way. I had 4 babies and had to learn a lot about pregnancy/birth so the OB industry couldn't eff with me again. I'm an inactive nurse, so I understand scientific lingo (mostly), and I like to do research for fun, particularly birth and women's health topics. I actually don't have any college degrees at all, just a nursing school diploma. The School of Hard Knocks doesn't give degrees, or I'd have a Ph.D.
    well your family is very lucky to have you!
    subbrock wrote:
    well your family is very lucky to have you!

Well, thank you. That's nice to hear after my 21 year old was acting like a 2 year old tonight. Just when you think you're done and ready to launch one...they make you feel like you failed...
  • CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Registered Users Posts: 1,198
    just a nursing school diploma.

As the daugher of a nursing professor I see how much work goes into getting a nursing school degree. I'm in awe of nurses. Seriously.
    3b (I think!)
    HGs - Suave Nexxus Knockoff, Jessicurl Weekly DT, L'Oreal Out of Bed, HESMU.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGlamourGirlie
    http://curlyglamourgirlie.blogspot.com
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    yeah i read somewhere that when you are pregnant you tend to not loose hair so when it starts to fall out it's just the hair that would have fallen out for those nine months but didn't... It's so much fun isn't it, i so miss taking a shower and not getting a handfull of hair..
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    I would definitely check w/ a dermatologist.
    My mom had patches like you describe and the dr said it was stress. They gave her cortisone (?) shots and the hair grew back quickly.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    Darn you subbrock! I thought I was safe if I haven't lost hair yet, but you're showing me there's still time.

I'd see a doctor too if the hair loss is that alarming.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• HairproductjunkieHairproductjunkie Registered Users Posts: 363
    subbrock wrote:
    okay my hair has been coming out with a vengence. i thought it was nothing to be alarmed at, but my mom and my SO have made comments about my thinning spots (you can see my white scalp!!!!!) so apparently others are noticing.

does it grow back?? because this is NOT cool.

I had this EXACT same thing happen to me. I knew it was bad when my husband made a comment about my scalp showing. My doctor even checked my thyroid because it was coming out so bad! One day, after about 2 months of my hair falling out like mad, it just stopped. And yes, it is growing back now. Thank goodness! I have these little baby hairs all along my front hairline that are getting a little longer every day. They are a little annoying, but at least it's growing back!!
    GuardianB wrote:
    Southern gals rock :!:
  • HairproductjunkieHairproductjunkie Registered Users Posts: 363
    Amneris wrote:
    Darn you subbrock! I thought I was safe if I haven't lost hair yet, but you're showing me there's still time.

Unfortunately, I was bragging that I was going to not end up losing my hair. Then about 4-5 months post-partum hit, and the hair came out like mad!
    GuardianB wrote:
    Southern gals rock :!:
  • scuffscuff Registered Users Posts: 6
    Yeah, min usually started falling out after 3-6 mos. I looked forward to it, though, because I have so much hair anyways. During pregnancy it gets so thick I can't stand it. Once it started falling out it did get thin and then balance back out. You're probably fine, but as others said, see someone if you're worried. It can't hurt.
    CGing since 9/07, wavy 2 with some 3a and 3a tendencies (I think). Really I've always thought I was just wavy in the wrong places and unmanagable, so being curly is new to me.
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    scuff wrote:
    Yeah, min usually started falling out after 3-6 mos. I looked forward to it, though, because I have so much hair anyways. During pregnancy it gets so thick I can't stand it. Once it started falling out it did get thin and then balance back out. You're probably fine, but as others said, see someone if you're worried. It can't hurt.

I know what you mean - mine got even thicker and I already had a LOT of hair - now it is really unmangeable. I think I could lose quite a bit and still be OK. But I still don't want to lose any.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    I lost a little around 6 months, then more after I stopped breastfeeding. Yes, it grew back.

If you have bald spots, I would see a dr.
    :rambo:
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Registered Users Posts: 850
    Mine eventually stopped with the crazy shedding, but it has never gone back to its original thickness or texture (my baby is now 21 months). It is much thinner - which is annoying because it was already really thin to start out with - and waaaaay less curly than it used to be. Took me years to figure out what to do with it and I've had to start all over with the learning again, since it appears it's never going to go back to *normal*.
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • SigiSigi Registered Users Posts: 2,379
    Mine eventually stopped with the crazy shedding, but it has never gone back to its original thickness or texture (my baby is now 21 months). It is much thinner - which is annoying because it was already really thin to start out with - and waaaaay less curly than it used to be. Took me years to figure out what to do with it and I've had to start all over with the learning again, since it appears it's never going to go back to *normal*.

Same here. You could definitely see the difference along my hairline, but it did grow back. Like sweetpickles, my hair has lost a lot of volume and not quite as curly as it once was. My kids are 5 and 3 so I doubt it'll ever be what it once was.
  • PhDCowPhDCow Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Curl Connoisseur

When Colin was probably 6 months old, I did the big chop and kept it short because the curls were so messed up.

Now, 3 years later, I'm going to grow it long again because the curls are showing the potential of behaving.

Hormones suck ass.
    God doesn't give special kids to special parents. He takes ordinary, imperfect people, and gifts them with his greatest treasures. And therein, he creates special parents.

• KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur

Gah, you're scaring me! My hair hasn't gotten at all thicker during pregnancy like I was told it would. It's still just as fine, thin, and limp as ever. :( Actually, it's probably even flatter since my roots have been getting a little greasy, which was never a problem before. If my hair falls out postpartum, I'll have no hair left!
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • rhubarbarinrhubarbarin Registered Users Posts: 22
    I'm not even pregnant, but I'm going to be having nightmares about postpartum hair loss until.. I'm postpartum. Good luck with your hair issues ladies, seems like there's nothing easy about motherhood.

Somehow though I still can't wait to be a mother!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file