I'm pretty sure my milk supply is established...

medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
but I'd like to store a few bottles of breastmilk for when I go out. If I pump in order to do so, will my body start producing more milk? I don't want an overabundance of milk. I still have sore and leaky breasts, so I'm concerned about increasing my supply.

I'm considering getting some formula for the occasional evening I want to go out.

Comments

• SigiSigi Registered Users Posts: 2,379
    We used formula for the times we went out. The only time I really pumped was when I had a cracked nipple and pumping felt better than nursing.

I don't know if pumping will mess up your supply or not, though.
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    I don't think pumping once every couple of days will increase your supply too much.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    If you are not pumping regularly, I doubt it will significantly increase your supply.
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    Thanks, chicas. I appreciate the advice.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    What kind of pump do you have?

I found that once my supply regulated I was never able to pump any extra milk with my manual pump. So I had no choice but to feed from the breast exclusively, and then eventually I started giving the occasional bottle of formula if I had to be away. I could miss a feed, feel engorged, and still not manage to pump more than a couple of ounces.

This time I have an electric pump, but I still don't really know how to occasionally pump. I don't really want to have to pump every day but I would like to have maybe a bottle of milk a week.

• geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    What kind of pump do you have?

I found that once my supply regulated I was never able to pump any extra milk with my manual pump. So I had no choice but to feed from the breast exclusively, and then eventually I started giving the occasional bottle of formula if I had to be away. I could miss a feed, feel engorged, and still not manage to pump more than a couple of ounces.

This time I have an electric pump, but I still don't really know how to occasionally pump. I don't really want to have to pump every day but I would like to have maybe a bottle of milk a week.

That happened to me. I was pumping 3 times a day with a double electric at work and had a manual at home to build up supply and for the occasional missed feeding. I stopped letting down for the manual at around 4 months. Got sick of lugging the giganto pump back and forth on the subway so I ended up getting a second dual electric for home.

For me it wasn't the regularity, it was the pump.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
    geeky wrote:
    That happened to me. I was pumping 3 times a day with a double electric at work and had a manual at home to build up supply and for the occasional missed feeding. I stopped letting down for the manual at around 4 months. Got sick of lugging the giganto pump back and forth on the subway so I ended up getting a second dual electric for home.

For me it wasn't the regularity, it was the pump.

That's very good to know. So I should be ok occasionally pumping with my dual electric. I was afraid I might have to schedule in a daily "pump feeding" session and that was not appealing to me at all.

• Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    I'm thinking about how to do this now.

Sophia is only 3 weeks old, but I do want to introduce her to the bottle in the next few weeks so I can go out in the future. I have to say though, that after all the pumping I did with Lucy, I dread the thought of pumping again and am seriously thinking of just giving formula for the occasional times I want to go out.

I feel guilty about this, but I just don't know when I'm going to fit pumping into my day, and how often I should do it and all of that. How many bottles a week should she get so that she will always take them? She doesn't take a pacifier now and I can't deal with her rejecting a bottle too.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    Maybe you could pump the other side while the baby is feeding? I did that a few times and it worked out well. Some people recommend pumping right after a feeding, but I could never get much milk that way--but maybe it will work for you.

It's been awhile for me, but I thought the advice was to introduce the bottle at 4-6 weeks old? Once I found the right nipple, my daughter always took a bottle, but she didn't do it until she was 8 weeks old and I was less than a week short of returning to work.

While I was on maternity leave, I pumped sporadically and froze what I pumped. I would do it after long car trips, when the baby fell asleep and I was engorged after going a long time without nursing, or just when I had 15-20 minutes here and there to familiarize myself with the pump. I didn't have a schedule until I was away from her and back at work.

Also, in the entire time I pumped, I used both manual and electric without a problem. In fact, some days I preferred the manual (Avent Isis) because it was quiet, didn't require an outlet, and was easier to clean.

Pumping/nursing/supply varies so much between women that you have to experiement a lot to figure out what methods work best for you. And something that works at one point may not work another time. I found pumping and keeping up supply to be a real juggling act. :)
    Jenny C wrote:
    I'm thinking about how to do this now.

Sophia is only 3 weeks old, but I do want to introduce her to the bottle in the next few weeks so I can go out in the future. I have to say though, that after all the pumping I did with Lucy, I dread the thought of pumping again and am seriously thinking of just giving formula for the occasional times I want to go out.

I feel guilty about this, but I just don't know when I'm going to fit pumping into my day, and how often I should do it and all of that. How many bottles a week should she get so that she will always take them? She doesn't take a pacifier now and I can't deal with her rejecting a bottle too.

Jenny - I did the occasional formula and it worked really well. If an electric pump didn't literally land in my lap for free, I would be doing the same thing with this one. I'm going to give pumping a try, but if I don't like it, I will have no hesitations to do formula again this time. In the grand scheme of things its such a small amount.

You have definitely pumped enough for a lifetime already!

• MutterbuttMutterbutt Registered Users Posts: 59
    My DD wouldn't take formula, so be prepared that yours might not also.

Best time to pump is usually after your morning nursing session. Before I returned to work (1 night/week), I pumped every morning after she nursed. I probably got 3 or 4 ounces at a time, and then froze it. I did this for a couple of weeks so there would be enough milk for work.

You can also pump one side if she only takes one side during a feeding.

It won't increase your supply as long as you don't pump after every feeding. (That is what LC suggest to moms who have low supply!).
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    Mutterbutt wrote:
    My DD wouldn't take formula, so be prepared that yours might not also.

Best time to pump is usually after your morning nursing session. Before I returned to work (1 night/week), I pumped every morning after she nursed. I probably got 3 or 4 ounces at a time, and then froze it. I did this for a couple of weeks so there would be enough milk for work.

You can also pump one side if she only takes one side during a feeding.

It won't increase your supply as long as you don't pump after every feeding. (That is what LC suggest to moms who have low supply!).

Thanks. I've pumped a little bit here and there. I think I might not need to give my daughter formula. At least not this time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file