Baby rejecting the bottle?

AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
My son is exclusively breastfed and I nurse on cue round the clock, which is usually every 2-3 hours, night or day. He's 13.5 weeks. I stay home with him, but I do occassionally have to leave him with my husband or my mama to teach my voice students, go to rehearsals etc. For those times, I hand-express and freeze my own milk for him to take in a bottle.
We introduced the bottle at about 8-9 weeks and after a couple of tries, he took to it quite well. We're using a slow-flow nipple for 1-3 months (Avent.) He would usually take about 4 oz. But last week when I was teaching, my husband said he only took 1 oz. and then started coughing and refusing to drink. I left him about 3.5 hours, and when I came back, he was crying and I fed him and he took a lot and was fine.

Tonight, I had rehearsal, and my husband said about 2 hours after I left, baby started crying so he offered the bottle, but he just kept pushing it away with his hand and crying. He took maybe a couple of sips (there was very close to 4 oz. left and that was it.) Then he fell asleep and was sleeping when I came home about 3.5 hours later. He started fussing soon after that, and I fed him and he nursed for 45 mins straight.

I'm worried - why is he rejecting the bottle now? I have a lot more rehearsals etc. and I need him to be bottle fed. My husband will bring him to me on longer rehearsal days, but not all the time. Does he maybe need a different nipple? A different technique? I love that he loves the breast, but he has to accept bottles too! HELP!
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Comments

• subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    not sure what to tell you, except for that, majerle does the same thing. in the beginning she was primarily bottle fed (with formula and/or breastmilk) and now that i only do the breast thing she refuses to take a bottle. good luck!
  • SigiSigi Registered Users Posts: 2,379
    I never had this problem because I never really got much of a break from my kids during their first 6-9 months of life. So I'm not sure if my advice is worth anything.

Have you experimented with other nipples/bottles? Maybe he just doesn't like the shape of those, although I've always heard good things about Avent. Dunno...

Maybe he needs the next nipple flow size up. (did that make sense?)

Is your husband a nervous new dad? I think babies can pick up on that stuff. It might take them a little more time to find their groove together. But if JJ is really hungry, he'll eventually eat no matter where it comes from (I hope anyway).
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I'd try a variety of bottles/nipples. He might just not like that particular nipple. I agree with Sigi...he will eventually eat if he is hungry enough. It won't be pleasant for dad when he fusses about not wanting the bottle, but he won't starve.

I never got the chance to try it personally, but this bottle always intrigued me because it's shaped so much like the breast. It looks like it would really be a good breast substitute...nice and warm on the little baby face:

187b02702a4b3d5aa3e3dcb577bb51ab.image.500x375.jpg

adiri-breast-bottle_01.jpg
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    At around 4 months Ben rejected the Avent bottles, which we had been using until then. Very slowly and with much patience, he accepted the Playtex Nurser system with the Natural Latch nipples. So definitely try a bunch of different ones.

I've also heard good things about the thing RCW linked above that looks like boob, Gerber Nuk nipples, Dr. Browns, Medela and Breastflow nipples. But it really depends on the baby and his preferences. Don't buy more than a couple of any kind until you know what he will like.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    I'd try a variety of bottles/nipples. He might just not like that particular nipple. I agree with Sigi...he will eventually eat if he is hungry enough. It won't be pleasant for dad when he fusses about not wanting the bottle, but he won't starve.

I never got the chance to try it personally, but this bottle always intrigued me because it's shaped so much like the breast. It looks like it would really be a good breast substitute...nice and warm on the little baby face:

187b02702a4b3d5aa3e3dcb577bb51ab.image.500x375.jpg

adiri-breast-bottle_01.jpg

I think those bottles are cool to I think I even posted about them when I first got pregnant and someone on here now I can't remember who it was said she had tried them and they leaked really bad. Or atleast the one she had leaked..I don't know what to tell ya about rejecting the bottle though I never had to deal with that with mine well atleast not yet with Q. I would just try different ones and see what happens
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    It was me who posted and said that thing leaked. It was horrible. It was almost impossible to get it sealed right. I would think I had it done and would turn it over and milk went everywhere. I don't recommend it and wish I had listened to other people before I wasted my money on it.

Trying different nipples is likely your best course of action. JJ will eat eventually so try not to let it worry you too much.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    I had the opposite problem so I'm not much help. All I can do is encourage you not to give up. He'll eventually take a bottle again especially if he's hungry. :)
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    Try all types of different nipples. The bottom line is that your DS won't starve himself. If he's really hungry, he'll take the bottle. If not, he'll wait for you!

DS never really took a bottle or a soother. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with weaning him from either now. He just drinks his homo milk from one of those Rubber Maid juice boxes.

Good Luck.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    According to Dr. Sears' Baby Book, your husband could also try using a medicine dropper or a small, soft cup and slowly pour the milk in JJ's mouth. I've heard good things about the Breastflow bottles, but obviously I don't know yet how well they work firsthand.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    I say keep trying different types of nipple/bottle combos. I know it's a pain but once you find one he will take regularly, it's such a relief. Good luck!
  • M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    My son really liked the wide nipples that Evenflo used to make, those were the only ones that he used, HATED the Avent ones (actually, both of my kids hated the Avent bottles). Evenflo stopped making the wide nipples when I have my daughter. I bought SOOO many different kinds to try out. She FINALLY went for the Playtex nurser system bottles, but it was VERY hard to get her to take one, I waited TOO long to give her her first bottle, so I had to leave the HOUSE, not just the room, but the house when DH tried to give her one. IT SUCKED. She finally took the Playtex ones, but not the silicone ones, she needed the latex. Picky girl.

So, ITA to just keep trying different kinds, and maybe instead of just giving a bottle when you're not there, have hubby give him one once a day, or every other day, just so he gets used to it.
    :rambo:
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    We've bottle-fed Lilly about three times. We use Medela nipples.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    I agree with the "he won't starve himself" comment a PP made.

We went through phases where DS rejected the bottle, rejected the boob, rejected certain bottles, rejected only 1 boob, rejected one nursing position or another and so on and so forth. You just never knew when he would cop an attitude. But these were all temporary situations - frustrating at the time - but temporary.

• PhDCowPhDCow Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with trying different nipples. Colin wasn't picky -- he went from those old style hospital nipples to Avent bottles no problem. Emma, on the other hand, was so picky -- I think we went through about a half dozen types of nipples before she settled on Avent.

Now, pacifiers, sweet jeebus, Colin was horrible. He finally settled on the Mam silicone pacifiers and when I found them at Target, I bought them out of their entire supply, just to be on the safe side.
    God doesn't give special kids to special parents. He takes ordinary, imperfect people, and gifts them with his greatest treasures. And therein, he creates special parents.

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    DarkAngel wrote:
    It was me who posted and said that thing leaked. It was horrible. It was almost impossible to get it sealed right. I would think I had it done and would turn it over and milk went everywhere. I don't recommend it and wish I had listened to other people before I wasted my money on it.

That's a shame. Those bottles seem like such a good idea, but I guess it was just badly executed. They're exensive too...too expensive to put up with leaking.
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    I agree with what many here have said about trying different nipples. Max had the same reaction to the Avent nipples- choking and not taking much milk. He ended up liking the old style Evenflo nipples. Incidentally, I was pretty pi$$ed that I had spent so much money on the Avent bottles when the ones he ended up using were so much less expensive.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    cosmicfly wrote:
    Incidentally, I was pretty pi$$ed that I had spent so much money on the Avent bottles when the ones he ended up using were so much less expensive.

The LC that taught my breastfeeding class said "try the cheapest bottles first and then go more expensive only if baby doesn't take them".

Of course I didn't listen to her. :wink:

• MutterbuttMutterbutt Registered Users Posts: 59
    My daughter is 5 months, and she is just now getting to where she will take a bottle from my hubby---and it ended up being the cheapie disposable nipples I 'borrowed' from my work (RN in a NICU).

I work one night a week, and for the first 6 weeks back, she actually didn't eat. She would hold out for the entire 12 hours I was gone and attack me when I got home :laughing9:

We tried every nipple/bottle combo. The playtex vent-aires worked pretty well, but they are a pain to put together, and so we stopped using them. We also like the Dr. Browns bottles with the regular nipple (not wide-mouth). we tried the Adiri breast bottle, and it didn't work for her, but it doesn't look like the picture, and didn't leak, so it might be worth a try.

We eventually figured out that she prefers the non-breastfeeding bottles, if you know what I mean. I think that with the wide based nipples, you have to have a good latch to make the milk flow, where as with the regular nipples, any sucking she does causes milk to flow. Good thing I bought EVERY good-for-breastfeeding bottle on the market.

Oh yea, and the milk had to be VERY warm, almost hot.

Sorry so long, but I feel your pain. One last thing...at first, the only way she would take the bottle is in her bouncy seat, watching Baby Einstein. DH would sit behind her, and drop the bottle in front of her, and feed her that way. It had to be the complete opposite of a nursing experience for her to take the bottle. Then after she was taking it well this way ( a couple of nights), then he was able to hold her and give her the bottle.

What a mess. It will get better. I think as they get older and start to put things in their mouth, they start to realize that mom's nipple isn't the only thing worth putting in there! :wink:
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    just bumping b/c i'm going through the same thing now...
    I go back to work on 3/17 :homework:- and she's totally rejecting every bottle. She took bottles at first when she wouldn't latch on to my breast - now it's the opposite.

I may try the medicine dropper if it gets really bad.

If anyone has any more suggestions, please chime in!
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    Maya was not a fan of the bottle. I also had to return to work. I used the bottle I liked the best, since she didn't like any of them, and she took the bare minimum from it while I was working. She continued to grow, and took enough from the bottle so that she wasn't miserable, but I'm talking about 1 or 2 ounces a few times a day.
    At first, I was worried, but she was content and continued to grow. So I;m not sure if I have any advice, other than if you're not around, Cassidy may take enough from the bottle so that she's not hungry.
  • wilykatwilykat Registered Users Posts: 108
    Auuuuuuuuuugggggghhhhh! i'm having the same problem too. to make matters worse i go back to work on Fri and dh has not been doing a good job offering the bottle (inconsistent, begrudging, etc. ). i'm worried and the day care provider sounded worried too. my little one just hates artificial nipples.

wilykat
    4a with some 3c around the edges
    .png
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    The bottle nipple might be the same shape as the breast and just as soft but it doesn't smell like the mother. Would somehow handling the bottle and getting the mothers scent on it perhaps make the baby more likely to accept it? A blanket to wrap around the baby that smells like mommy?

Speckla
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Registered Users Posts: 850
    I don't have any other really good suggestions, but it might make you feel better to know that I went through the same thing with Zora, and she literally refused all bottles (after having been okay with them earlier on) until the very day I went back to work. That day, she just started taking them and was fine after that. I guess she must have known all those other times that we kept trying to give her a bottle that Mom wasn't really gone! It's a frustrating process - good luck!
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • dianna.barajdianna.baraj Registered Users Posts: 1
    What is the name of that bottle?
    The one with the baby? Below

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file