Red Beans and Rice - side dish or main course?

CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya Banned Users Posts: 956
I've been complaining about being sluggish lately, and my co-worker said I should eat more protein (she is into nutritional eating and all that). She suggested beans and rice since I'm tired of eating chicken or beef for every dinner. I thought about buying a box of Zatarans instead of trying to make my own. But do I make it by itself or is it supposed to be a side dish? If it's a side dish, what tastes good with it - pork, fish? I had I think it was Zataran's Dirty Rice, and I put smoked sausage in with it. It was too spicy for me (though I prolly added too much spice to it since I didn't think it would be spicy ENOUGH). If I don't like it very spicy, would I be better off making my own? I wanted to buy a kit because I don't want to go through the hassle - esp. since I may be the only one eating it.

Comments

• CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya Banned Users Posts: 956
    scared0001.gif
    Anyone out there? Guess there are some perks - don't have to worry about getting into any cyberbrawls like on the non-hair boad. :brilsmurf:
  • JayvynJayvyn Registered Users Posts: 70
    Beans & Rice can be either a side dish or main. You may want to reconsider Zat. the sodium content is really high. Try the food network for the recipe.
    Yeah, I know Zat. has some lower sodium products - I may try one of those. I admit I like salty rice though! I'd really rather not attempt my own. I looked at some recipes and they sound like a lot of work for a side dish. I decided to just do it as a side dish - think I'll serve it with baked fish (sorry didn't mean to start rhymning! :albino:).
    Oh. I didn't know they had low sodium products. Yeah it is harder to make red beans and rice from scratch. I understand using a kit. There is another kind of red beans and rice that is really good, but I don't know the name of it I just know it comes in a gold & red package (like the beans come) this brand is really good.

To get more protein you could also make a smoothie and add some protein powder to it. I used to drink protien smoothies for breakfast.
    Jayvyn wrote:
    Oh. I didn't know they had low sodium products. Yeah it is harder to make red beans and rice from scratch. I understand using a kit. There is another kind of red beans and rice that is really good, but I don't know the name of it I just know it comes in a gold & red package (like the beans come) this brand is really good.

To get more protein you could also make a smoothie and add some protein powder to it. I used to drink protien smoothies for breakfast.

Hmm, I'll have to look out for gold and red packages. I still haven't been to the store yet - been sick. :(

I drink Carnation Instant Breakfast sometimes. I think that has protein in it, but I'm not sure. Thanks for the tip.
    No Problem.
  • realisticrealistic Registered Users Posts: 2,222 Curl Novice
    It can make a good meal. I like to throw some cooked chicken and cayenne pepper in w/it. And eat it w/cornbread.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • Jeannie_LJeannie_L Registered Users Posts: 73
    Well if you are considering to make your own rice and beans someday. The following is a very traditional spanish recipe:

1 can of beans
    2 tbsp. of Olive Oil
    2 tbsp. of minced garlic
    1 tbsp. of onion (can be powdered)
    1/2 tsp. of salt
    Pinch of oregano
    Fresh cilantro
    half cup of tomato sauce
    1 chicken bullion
    7 Spanish olives or
    2 cups of rice

In a pot, add the olive oil. Combine minced garlic, olives, onions or onion powder. When it begins to fry add the can of beans and the chicken bullion. Let that boil and later add tomato sauce, cilantro, oregano, salt and a cup of water. While that is boiling in the pot, wash rice thoroughly and then add to boiling pot. Stir only once and bring to a boil once more until the broth has evaporated. Reduce heat to the second lowest and let cook for 1/2 hour covered. (rice needs to be covered this last half hour)

Bon appetit!

:wink:
    Yuck, I decided I don't like Rice and Beans. Thanks for the suggestions, anyway.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file