Travelling with a baby

AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
We are thinking of taking a trip to Cuba in a couple of months, when JJ will be about 5 months, and I am also thinking of going out east with him by myself in the spring to visit my best friend and my sister, when he'll be about 10 months. We are also planning a trip to Trinidad when he is about a year. I am wondering about some things with travelling.

1) immunizations - I don't think they will all be complete by the time we go to Cuba, since some are scheduled for 6 months, some for 12. Is this dangerous? Should I ask the doctor to do them early?

2) car seat - I can fly with him free and in my arms/lap until he is 2. But when we are in taxis or cars, what do I do? In the Caribbean, do I just hold him in my arms like most other people? And when I travel to other parts of Canada, it is illegal not to use a car seat, but I will probably be driving around with the people I'm visiting. So what do I do about the car seat issue? Do I have to buy one out there and have it installed in their cars?

3) place to sleep - in Cuba, we'll probably stay in a resort rather than at family. If we pick a family friendly resort, is it likely that they could provide a bassinet, or is his only option to sleep in our bed with us? (which he usually does anyway, but I like having my space for a portion of the night and also it's good to have a place to put him for naps.) I do have a pack and play but it seems bulky - is it worth it to bring this? And when he is 10 months or a year, I imagine he may be in a crib - would the pack and play still work for him at that point? If he is standing up by that point, is it safe?
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Comments

• shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    I am going to be traveling overseas soon myself. We are also going to be holding him during the flight but are going to check his carseat as luggage. The airline's website says that carseats & small strollers do not count as part of the luggage limit, so we can bring them in addition to our luggage even though we did not buy him a seperate seat. Check your airline.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    As for the car seat, my sister rents one through her car rental agency when she travels with the kids. Depending on where you go, it might be cheaper to buy one to use for the week (or so) and possibly donate to someone who needs one when you leave.
    For sleeping, most hotels have cribs or playpens available. My sister doesn't trust the cleanliness of them, so she took the Pack N Play despite the bulk. The Pack N Play is ok at 10 months and older. It's low enough to the ground that he won't get hurt if he stands and then falls. I doubt he'll fall out, unless he's one of those Spiderman babies that can climb anything. My youngest niece, when here, still slept in it at 2 years old. Now I use it for another boy who's about 16 months old. [I have the Pack N Play Sport]
    I can't help you with the immunization question, so definitely talk to your doctor. Personally, I'd be afraid to step up the shot schedule because the shots are spaced out for a purpose. It's possible to strengthen your and his defenses. Oh, just remembered, while he's nursing he should have some immunity passed on from you through the milk.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    I would suggest you ask your doctor about immunizations.

I held my son in my lap on the plane before he was two, but checked his car seat as luggage. I would not be comfortable holding him in my lap in the car, even if everyone else did it. Just because there is no car seat law and no one does it does not mean he will be any safer should the car crash.

Many resorts do offer bassinets or cribs. You should check with your specific destination.

I do not know about Canada, but I know in the US there are services that will rent you baby gear of all kinds while you are on a trip. Worth looking into for the Canada travel.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    geeky wrote:

I held my son in my lap on the plane before he was two, but checked his car seat as luggage. I would not be comfortable holding him in my lap in the car, even if everyone else did it. Just because there is no car seat law and no one does it does not mean he will be any safer should the car crash.

Many resorts do offer bassinets or cribs. You should check with your specific destination.

I do not know about Canada, but I know in the US there are services that will rent you baby gear of all kinds while you are on a trip. Worth looking into for the Canada travel.

I agree about the safety issue - but I would have to check the car seat and the base, right? What if the cars in the Caribbean don't have seatbelts that can hold the car seat base? Also, I didn't install mine - I had it done at the fire house, and I am nervous about not doing it correctly.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    you should do an online search and see if there are any of those businesses where you are going that rents out baby stuff when you travel I know there is one in omaha (not that any of you wil be comeing this way) that you call them and they come to the house or where ever you will be staying and set everything up and then take it all down when you're done with it...I think i may have just guanoed this thread but i think it's a pretty cool service and for some reason decided to share.. Carry on..
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Amneris wrote:
    geeky wrote:

I agree about the safety issue - but I would have to check the car seat and the base, right? What if the cars in the Caribbean don't have seatbelts that can hold the car seat base? Also, I didn't install mine - I had it done at the fire house, and I am nervous about not doing it correctly.

From where does Cuba import its cars? I think the LATCH system is standard on all American cars as of 1996 or something. And some had it before. Or do they buy all European or Asian cars? Or have their own industry over there? (I'm guessing they don't trade w/ the US.)

I travelled to Europe at 9 months. No issue w/ immunizations. My schedule didn't have to be adjusted. But I did have a horrendous case of diarrhea on the plane. I mean, horrendous, from how everyone describes it...again and again and again....

• shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    Not sure if they import Asian cars and/or if all Asian cars are like the ones here in Japan, but all 3 of the cars we have had while here work w/ American carseats.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    If you have the infant car seat (i.e. the bucket) you can actually use that without the base, just thread the seatbelt through the appropriate places on the car seat itself.

Your car seat instructions should tell you what type of seat belts are OK to use. Most standard ones are OK. My car seat also came with a little clip to attach to the seatbelt to lock it. If yours did not come with one, you can order one easily enough.

If you are worried about installation, go back to the fire house. Tell them you will be traveling and need tips on doing the car seat yourself. I am sure they will show you how to do it right.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
    Amneris wrote:
    geeky wrote:

From where does Cuba import its cars? I think the LATCH system is standard on all American cars as of 1996 or something. And some had it before. Or do they buy all European or Asian cars? Or have their own industry over there? (I'm guessing they don't trade w/ the US.)

I travelled to Europe at 9 months. No issue w/ immunizations. My schedule didn't have to be adjusted. But I did have a horrendous case of diarrhea on the plane. I mean, horrendous, from how everyone describes it...again and again and again....

Cuba has a lot of old, 1950s, pre-revolution cars. The US embargo makes it hard for them to get new cars, so that's part of my concern. No, they don't trade with the US - there's an embargo.

I am guessing that immunizations are less of an issue in Europe than in the Caribbean. Do you mean your daughter had diarrhea?

.png

534Pm5.png

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Amneris wrote:
    Amneris wrote:
    geeky wrote:

Cuba has a lot of old, 1950s, pre-revolution cars. The US embargo makes it hard for them to get new cars, so that's part of my concern. No, they don't trade with the US - there's an embargo.

I am guessing that immunizations are less of an issue in Europe than in the Caribbean. Do you mean your daughter had diarrhea?

No, I had diarrhea! And my family will never let me live that down. My daughter hasn't been on a plane yet. <scared>

• geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    I can't answer the immunization questions.

We traveled to Seattle from D.C. when Elise was 6 mos. old. We were worried about her crying on the plane, but it was actually a pretty easy trip and a good age for her to travel with us. We got her a seat (discounted rate and it was nice to make the long trip with the extra space)

We took the infant seat (without the base, it can still be used) with us--even if I went somewhere where they didn't use them ("When in Rome..."), I would carry it and strap it in using the seat belt (directions are in the car seat manual). We couldn't use it in the plane, but we were able to check it in with the stroller without a problem.

We didn't take the pack n' play, we just co-slept, which is what we were doing at home anyway. If I did need a crcib, I would carry my own. Maybe I am just weird about the rented carseat and crib stuff though.
  • webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
    1. We haven't decided to vaccinate as yet, so can't help you there.
    2. We took our infant carrier which can easily be secured with a seatbelt without the base when we went to new england a few weeks ago. We're taking the carseat with us to tobago/trinidad in 3 weeks. Lex will be 6 months. I'm not using the maxi taxis - just single passanger taxis. Yes it's more expensive, but I rather have the convenience of not being rushed to put the carseat in.
    3. just call ahead and ask for a bassinet/crib. A king sized bed works well for us too. I still co-sleep.
    hello.world.
    webjockey wrote:
    1. We haven't decided to vaccinate as yet, so can't help you there.
    2. We took our infant carrier which can easily be secured with a seatbelt without the base when we went to new england a few weeks ago. We're taking the carseat with us to tobago/trinidad in 3 weeks. Lex will be 6 months. I'm not using the maxi taxis - just single passanger taxis. Yes it's more expensive, but I rather have the convenience of not being rushed to put the carseat in.
    3. just call ahead and ask for a bassinet/crib. A king sized bed works well for us too. I still co-sleep.

LOL, I wasn't even thinking of taking the baby in a maxi taxi - my family would KILL me! I guess I need to get the car seat instructions out then - it sounds like that could work for us, provided the cars we use are up to snuff (Cuba is more the issue than Trinidad there.)

.png

534Pm5.png

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    The best invention ever for traveling with babies under 40 pounds is the Sit N Stroll:

http://www.amazon.com/SitnStroll-5-n-1-Combination-Carseat-Stroller/dp/B0006UF43M

51KYA1TMZSL._AA280_.jpg

It works as both a forward and rear facing carseat, is FAA approved for use on airplanes, and it makes a darn good stroller. I always got my babies their own seats on planes...it's just safer...but you could gate check the Sit N Stroll and use it as a stroller in and out of the airport. If you do spring for the extra seat, you can wheel the Sit N Stroll right down the aisle of the airplane, then just put the wheels and handle in and strap him into his seat.

I would take the Pack N Play for him to sleep in. They're good for up to 2 years-ish of age. If you put him in it for a nap every day at home, he will be very accustomed to it and will sleep well wherever you go. They aren't hard to travel with...most have a handle and wheels. Just check it with your luggage.

As for immunizations...check with your doctor, but I would think if you're still breastfeeding, he'll be protected against most everything that you are.
  • PoPo Registered Users Posts: 2,607
    I moved to Europe at 4 or 5 months and my parents just did my immunizations on schedule. BUT, I did get very sick on the plane and projectile vomited all over the back of a man's head. The car seat thing wasn't issue because no one used car seats back then, especially in Italy.

My son had traveled on a plane two or three times before one year and he always sat on my lap. I would check a car seat and a stroller. Possibly a pack and play as well.
    3c/4a
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    I have travelled by air with DS when he was 3 months, 6 1/2 months and 11 1/2 months old. I have always gate checked my stroller and checked my carseat.

If you do choose to bring the pack and play - it would work as a crib for him. DS slept in a Pack & Play until he was 10 months old. I would only worry your DS matybe standing on something in the P&P and getting out that way.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • deedlesdeedles Registered Users Posts: 2,467 Curl Connoisseur
    Liam has traveled by plane now 4x and is a champ!!! He has sat on my lap each time. We also checked the car seat.

On our most recent trip to Florida.. We had the hotel put a pack n'play in the hotel room... since I was a little freaked about germs too.. I wiped the mat and all the parts I could with a wipe and I brought my own sheets!!

when we rode to the airport (25 min) ride on the way back home it only took hubby a minute to put the seat in...

I have to admit though on the quick 5 minute ride to the bus station (from my house) Liam rode on my lap.... I didn't have time to put the seat in I was running so late....

I know I know... BAD!!!!
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    1) immunizations - I'd be up to date on his Canadian vax and as your doc about travel vaccinations (although, I don't think you need any for Cuba?). I don't think you can give vaccinations early.

2) car seat - take a stroller and infant carseat (travel system). You can gate check them both or have the option of taking the carseat on the plane if there is an available seat. There isn't much you can do if cars don't have seatbelts except minimize the amount of car travel you do.

3) place to sleep - while he isn't mobie, I would just cosleep at night and sleep him on the bed for naps (which cushions around him). If he is mobile then a pack and play would be useful.

I found travel with DS to be easy in the first year. We travelled a LOT. The second year.... a PITA. The worst age was between 14-20 months. He's gotten better again now.

ok back from trip.

if you rent a car, check with the rental agency if they have carseats. we brought ours, but the car rental place also provided a variety of car seats and boosters.

The hotel also offered a crib/cot. we ended up with a room that had a twin bed plus a queen bed. that worked very well for us.

we barely used the stroller, I just carried him in my sling almost everywhere. Slings were awsome, especially for the roads with bad sidewalks or where it was not wheelchair friendly - which was pretty much everywhere in tobago.
    hello.world.
  • curlymelcurlymel Registered Users Posts: 359
    I have always brought the carseat on the plane except for once. All times DD was under 2 and could have sat on my lap. I use the carseat because it is safer. Yes, it is unlikely the plane will crash, but it scares me to think that if something did happen, they would tell you to put your baby on the floor. No thanks.

The other advantage of taking it on the plane is that there is no risk of it getting lost if you check it. Alternatively, you could gate check it. It is not likely to get lost that way. Also, it won't get as banged up as it would if you send it with your checked baggage.

I wouldn't rent a carseat. I have heard some horror stories on other boards about this and I wouldn't trust them. Businesses like to make money and I would not have confidence that the carseat had never been in a crash or that it was not expired. JMHO.

I think a PNP would be fine for sleeping at that age. I honestly don't know what the weight limits are, but DD is a big girl and I used a PNP for her to sleep in just a few months ago when we went on vacation.
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls
    webjockey wrote:
    ok back from trip.

if you rent a car, check with the rental agency if they have carseats. we brought ours, but the car rental place also provided a variety of car seats and boosters.

The hotel also offered a crib/cot. we ended up with a room that had a twin bed plus a queen bed. that worked very well for us.

we barely used the stroller, I just carried him in my sling almost everywhere. Slings were awsome, especially for the roads with bad sidewalks or where it was not wheelchair friendly - which was pretty much everywhere in tobago.

Thanks wj. I will definitely bring a sling. I hear you on the Tobago roads! Did you have a good trip?

.png

534Pm5.png

the roads in tobago were surprisingly in excellent condition - even on the more rural northeastern side.

I also found out that the house my dad, aunts, uncles, grandmother and great grandmother was born in is now featured on postcard sold all over the island.

Use a lightweight sling. Too steamy for full wrapping.
    hello.world.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file