Fish oil as a hair supplement?

CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya BannedBanned Users Posts: 956
I've tried hair vitamins, but never stayed on them long enough to notice hair growth/condition benefits. I swear biotin messes with my cycles since whenever I've been taking biotin or formulas with biotin, I begin missing periods after a couple months. I've never heard of biotin causing this, but typically my cycles are pretty regular. I hated to discontinue them after only a few months because my nails were longer and stronger than ever, which made me believe that it had to be doing good things for my hair too.

Anyway, I began taking fish oil last month because I have dry skin (which gets worse during fall and winter). I've heard taking oil supplements can help. I didn't expect it to make any difference with my hair or nails (esp. since I only take one capsule per day). After about a week taking it, I noticed my nails were growing faster than normal and are very strong - few breaks/rough edges. Maybe in time I'll notice a difference in hair growth, too? A plus is that fish oil is much cheaper than hair, skin, and nail formulas, and is supposed to give health benefits. I hesitated to try anymore supplements after biotin because I thought maybe my body is sensitive to these things, but I've read that omega 3 fatty acids are supposed to help keep hormones regulated - thus helps with PMS and menstrual irregularities. Just thought I would share and ask if anyone else is taking fish oil too.

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I'm taking flax seed oil, but anything with EFA's is going to help your hair, as well as other stuff.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • ~GypsyCurls~~GypsyCurls~ Registered Users Posts: 351
    I'm taking fish oil capsules right now to help with my dry scalp, and my hair. Healthy fats, along with protein, are essential for healthy hair. I'm on biotin too, and haven't had any adverse reactions from it.
    2c/3a/3b curls, tailbone length, fairy tale ends
    Cleansers: V05 Co
    Conditioners: KMS Everyday, Dove Dry Oil Care

DT/Treats:Aphogee Protein Treat/Hemp/Argan Oil
    Leave-ins/Stylers: All HE Condish, Generic PM The Conditioner

• CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya Banned Banned Users Posts: 956
    Hey you guys, have you been taking the capsules long enough to notice any hair benefits? Do you have faster hair growth, or notice a change in its condition, too? Another thing I've heard from people who take fish oil - they say it makes their skin and hair oilier. I haven't noticed this, but then again, my skin is on the dry side. It seems to have helped a little with my skin dryness, but I still get skin itching at night.
  • taflogtaflog Registered Users Posts: 130
    ive been taking omega's for about 3mths. now. i don't know if it's made a significant changes to my hair or body. my last length check i have an overall growth of a 1/2in which is about avg. however the sides and bang grew about 1/2in as well and these are my trouble spots. i do take a muliti vitamin and nioxin hair vitamins. i think it may just be that im taking better care of my hair, drinking more water and eating better.

event.png

event.png
  • CaleilaniCaleilani Registered Users Posts: 728
    I've been taking the fish oil for over a year now,I think it does help.
    3B-3C, alittle past tailbone length,age:41 years
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    You know, my mind is off a bit...I first saw this thread and I thought you were talking about using fishoil *in* your hair. :nemo:

Wouldn't my cat love that? :cat:

Speckla
    Speckla wrote: »
    You know, my mind is off a bit...I first saw this thread and I thought you were talking about using fishoil *in* your hair. :nemo:

Speckla

:laughing7: My hair is dry, but not that dry!

Speckla

I was going to recommend a tartar sauce conditioner.

Speckla

Speckla

Speckla

:-o My cats would have a good time with that - I wouldn't have any hair left!

Speckla

My cat already tries to groom my hair. I'm going to look like this :profileright: someday soon.

Speckla
  • CherishCherish Registered Users Posts: 1,847
    I took flax and blackcurrant for years, and recently switched to fish oils (DHA & EPA). I'm not taking them for hair specifically, so I wasn't paying attention to possible changes there, but really they can only benefit your hair.
  • YomYom Registered Users Posts: 1,146 Curl Novice
    I've started taking fish oil about two weeks ago for my dry skin and if it helps with my hair that would be great. Obviously i haven't taken it long enough to see any difference
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
    Modified CG since 08/10/2007
    http://public.fotki.com/Curly-Y/ (updated september 6)
    pw: currrly
  • KimbercurlyKimbercurly Registered Users Posts: 31
    I took fish oil supplements for about 2 months. I loved them so much because not only are they full of the healthy omegas but they made my hair SOOOO glossy. Unfortunatly, after awhile my skin started to break out like crazy and my face was all oily, also, I started getting these weird headaches everyday and I later learned that fish oil is a natural blood thinner so I think for whatever reason that was causing the headaches. Anyways, beware of the side effects, but it is definitly going to make your hair shine.
  • mrl234mrl234 Registered Users Posts: 548
    I'm a vegetarian & so take flax oil for the omega 3 benefit, and have noticed that it makes my hair look a bit healthier and grow a bit faster.
    :happy10:
    fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
    CGish since 10-16-08
    Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
    Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
    Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
    Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)
  • notsonappynotsonappy Registered Users Posts: 71

Speckla

My cat already tries to groom my hair. I'm going to look like this :profileright: someday soon.

Speckla

i read somewhere about a catnip treatment for conditioning hair. i can imagine what a cat would do around that :P
    Not So Nappy
    going natural since Feb 2008 *at least*

FOTKIIIIIII = lovemyhair

Hair blog : NotSoNappy @ Vox

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file