Help doing my roots

RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 697Registered Users Curl Novice
I've never tried to color just my roots -- the idea freaks me out. But I have a lot of grays coming in now and I need to learn how. I've had it done a couple of times by a pro and there's no way I can be so meticulous -- I can't even put clips in my hair the Deva way, I get all confused looking in the mirror, and I won't be able to see most of my head. There isn't anyone I can really ask to help me do it, either. Please tell me that I can do this and it will be OK -- but how?
Do I have to use a brush, or can I just squirt the color on and sort of massage it in? I'll be using Robert Craig for the first time. In the past I've always used L'Oreal Color Spa/Actif, and I always just "shampooed" it in and ran it through *all* of my hair, which I need to stop doing as it's gotten so dark. I'm not a perfectionist about my color, but my hair is looking really good lately and it's in great condition finally, so I want to get rid of the grays and not ruin my overall color or turn it black or to straw. Yikes.
Help?!
2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
Seal with camellia oil
Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
Homemade food-based DTs
RC color

Comments

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It would be easiest if you can separate your hair into sections. Just use some big claw clips or something, divide into at least 4 sections. Then, starting at the grayest section, unclip one section and re-section that hair a row at a time (about 1/2", you can use the tip of the bottle), and squirt on the color. Gently rub the color line into the hair with a gloved finger to distribute it onto the gray/roots. Keep doing this until that whole section is done. Section, squirt, section, squirt.

You can re-clip that part if it's in your way, but do it loosely so you don't get color on the ends. I just leave it down. HTH
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 697Registered Users Curl Novice
    That helps a lot, but a few questions still --

After you do the sections, do you just squeeze & rub along the hairline, around ears & nape of neck?

How do you do the stuff you can't see -- do you just sort of go by feel & do it blind? Do you ever just sort of take some to rub it around any areas you might have missed, or flip over to apply some? I'm afraid I'll miss whole areas because I can't see them.

After you do the roots, do you do the rest of your length for a short time, and if so, how do you apply that? Do you comb thru hair from roots to ends or squeeze more on?

Oh -- and after, do you shampoo with whatever 'poo they send you with the color or do you low-poo or CO-wash?

THANK YOU so much for helping!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    Getting the roots without getting the rest of my hair was hard for me since my hair is not very long. I divided my hair into four loose ponytail sections using a covered rubber band then wrapped the ends in plastic wrap so I wouldn't get color on them while I was applying to the roots. (I looked like I had 4 "T-pees" on my head) I then squirted the color under each "T-pee" and used my fingers to move it around until all the roots were covered. When I was 10 minutes away from my completion time, I unwrapped my ends and brought the color all the way out to the ends using my fingers.

I did not use the RC shampoo that came with the kit. I just co-washed with my normal Suave Naturals.
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
    KurlyKaren,

Thanks for describing your "tee-pee" method. I can see this is going to be a challenge, but I feel more prepared to try it after hearing from you and CurliLocks.

When you ran the color thru the rest of your hair at the end, did you add more from the bottle or did you just use what was already in your hair? My hair is BSL so I guess I'd have to apply more at this point.

Congrats on finding the right color for your hair (I saw your other thread). Yay! I'll look for your pics when you post them. I heard back from Karin with her color suggestions for me, so I think I'm all set to order. :happy2:
    Seal with camellia oil
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    KurlyKaren,

Thanks for describing your "tee-pee" method. I can see this is going to be a challenge, but I feel more prepared to try it after hearing from you and CurliLocks.

When you ran the color thru the rest of your hair at the end, did you add more from the bottle or did you just use what was already in your hair? My hair is BSL so I guess I'd have to apply more at this point.

Congrats on finding the right color for your hair (I saw your other thread). Yay! I'll look for your pics when you post them. I heard back from Karin with her color suggestions for me, so I think I'm all set to order. :happy2:

After applying to the roots, I capped the bottle and put it sitting upside down in a dixie cup until it was time to pull the color through to the ends. Then, I just squirted what was left in the bottle and began working what was on on my roots through to the ends.

I was relieved to find the right color. I had a really scary strand test the first time around so I was a bit cautious. I'm glad I did it though. I've heard so many good things about RC. The color came out great! I'm a believer now.

Good Luck :headbang:
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think KKL already answered all your q's. I like that tee-pee method, I might have to try that when DH or sis doesn't help.

I do need to use the rest of the bottle of color to cover the rest of my hair (below shoulder). Work it thru with your hands, you can try to comb thru if it's not too hard. But be sure to have some towels or comb in the shower because you will fling haircolor everywhere! :shock: If your hair is very thick, you may actually need a second bottle to get it all.

Good luck! :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    Thanks again, both of you. I placed my order and I guess I'll be coloring next weekend. Wheee!

Karen, how does your hair feel after coloring? Did your hair feel dry or was it OK?

And I promise I WILL do a strand test! I hope it isn't scary :wink:
    Seal with camellia oil
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file