Tofu

goldygoldy Registered Users Posts: 5,463 Curl Connoisseur
does anyone marinade tofu?

i'm thinking about buying some firm to extra firm tofu and trying one of those bottle marinades on it.. i would then grill or saute the tofu..

thoughts?
Poodlehead wrote:
Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:

Comments

• NetGNetG Registered Users Posts: 8,116
    Have you tried this?

I'm curious how it turns out if you do!
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • goldygoldy Registered Users Posts: 5,463 Curl Connoisseur
    i still haven't tried it yet, i was hoping someone here had already tried it and could tell me if it works or not..

i'll keep you updated if i give it a go..
    Poodlehead wrote:
  • realisticrealistic Registered Users Posts: 2,222 Curl Novice
    goldy:

Get some extra firm tofu and do this to it:
    "Pop the cube out of the container, cut it in half the long way, put both blocks on a paper towel-covered plate, put more paper towel on top and another plate, and put something semi heavy on it (like a book or a couple of small cans). Leave it for 15 - 30 minutes. This pulls a ton of the water out of the tofu so it will absorb whatever spices or marinade you use."
    (Not my idea- it's actually from a previous post by Jabby)

Then here is my favorite tofu marinade:
    1/4 cup soy sc.
    1 clove minced garlic
    dash of sesame oil
    sprinkle of sesame seeds and/or red pepper flakes to taste
    1 tsp ginger (fresh or powdered)
    dash rice vinegar (optional)

mix everything together and marinade tofu for ~10 min.
    saute over med/med-high until it's browned. I usually make a sandwich w/the tofu using roasted red pepper tomato and lettuce. It's excellent in a pita too.

btw I'm sure a bottle marinade would be good. Just make sure its thin enough to be absorbed by the tofu.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • mailgirlmailgirl Registered Users Posts: 451
    Iron Chef marinade is very good. They sell it at Costco.
    3a/3b/3c/36D

May the hair gods shine on me (and you!).

My silly veggie blog: vegefattien
    thanks realistic, i'll have to try that marinade..

i'm familiar with prepping the tofu.. i don't usually cut it in half though, i'll try that next time :)
    Poodlehead wrote:
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I will occasionally add the extra firm tofu to homemade tomato-based spaghetti sauce.

It's not a marinade but the sauce does soak in nicely.
  • travelgirltravelgirl Registered Users Posts: 71
    Another way to fix it.

1. Cut the tofu block into 6 to 8 long slabs.
    2. Flour each cut piece
    3. Saute each piece in some olive oil until brown
    4. Add some barbecue sauce to on one side then flip in the pan and add sauce to the other a flip again in pan about 30-45 seconds on each side
    5. Remove and put on a bun add some additonal sauce and some coleslaw eat as "barbecue" sandwich.
    BC: 03/26/05
    CW and no oil
    O with some S
  • frazalifrazali Registered Users Posts: 364
    I usually marinade and then stir-fry it with a ton of veggies. Add brown rice, and you have a really filling, yummy meal.
    Variation of 3B/3C curls.

Amazed that I finally found a method that works for my hair! Diffuse until 60-70% dry, then let air dry for about an hour. Scrunch and leave it alone!

NYC
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    My mom takes firm tofu, slices it, marinates it in soy sauce, sprinkles some garlic powder on it and sautees it.

It's great for marinating, as it really absorbs flavors well.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • NetGNetG Registered Users Posts: 8,116
    I've been using tofu in sauces. I puree it, and mix it in a really strong tasting, but not thick enough, sauce - ends up just tasting like the sauce, but thicker. My mom doesn't like tofu she can recognize as tofu, so this works well!
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Registered Users Posts: 1,048
    Birdseye has a stir-fry kit that comes with MSG-free sauce. Tonight I marinaded my tofu in the sauce and then added it into my stirfry veggies. It was delicious!
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
  • smallpeassmallpeas Registered Users Posts: 162
    Another possibility:
    If you eat dairy, I sometimes cube extra firm tofu, sprinkle cheese on top, and bake it. It tastes a bit like macaroni and cheese.

Sometimes I add a little ground turkey on top of that, which gives it crunch. It ends up tasting something like Hamburger Helper. You can also mix in brown rice.
  • FallOutCurlFallOutCurl Registered Users Posts: 339 Curl Novice
    mmmmmmmmm
    I can't wait to try these marinades, I've never cooked tofu myself as I didn't know what to do, now I think I'm ready to experiement.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Sake, fresh ginger, soy sauce, and brown sugar mades a great marinade!! I'm not sure how much to suggest to use because I don't measure but add a bit of this and a dash of that. Soak it overnight and then you can pan cook the next day and pour the mariade over it until it's brown and bubbly.

Speckla
  • spring1onuspring1onu Registered Users Posts: 16,528 Curl Connoisseur
    All these tips are really handy to know. DH always picks up tofu at the store to buy, but I tell him wait and let me read up about it first so we'll know what kind to get and what to do with it....and of course I always forget to do that. :lol: Now I know what kind to get and some ideas of what to do with it! I might be able to use it in a stir fry and not mess it up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • iaraiara Registered Users Posts: 1,199
    I marinade tofu in anything people would marinade chicken or seafood in. I usually stick to Mediterranean and Latin American flavors. Tofu absorbs the flavors well.

Tip: Squeeze out the extra water from the tofu before marinading (just like you would pat meat dry before marinading). The flavors of the marinade absorb better.
    I place my tofu on a rack and put a heavy plate on top and leave for 30 minutes.

Also, it is a good idea to freeze the tofu first before you marinade. It really makes a difference between restaurant quality tofu and "I am experimenting" tofu.
    You cannot invite someone to your house in the Hamptons and when she arrives, not let her stay. Tacky. Very Tacky. ~ East Village hipster.

People in Ward Three disdain three things: cleavage, hunting and dumb people who are richer than they are. ~ David Brooks

Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. ~Armaments 2:9-21
  • fluffywonderdoodlefluffywonderdoodle Registered Users Posts: 316
    a GREAT (and really healthy) marinade for tofu is Braggs Liquid Amino Acids. it basically tastes just like soy sauce, but it has a lot less sodium and it's really good for you.
  • 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for these ideas. I've been eating vegetarian for the past couple of months, but have been afraid to try tofu! Now that I'm starting to eat vegan, I feel like I need more options, so I'll have to get "brave" and try tofu. I appreciate having ideas. If anyone else has a favorite recipe for Tofu-timids like me, please post! :tongue5:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
    I'm glad I found this thread...I've been wondering a few things about tofu. I have had it 1 time and it was baked in bar-be-que sauce, I thought it was disgusting. I have had it stir-fried several times in oriental type dishes...I liked it.

I know that there are different types of firmness...I need one that I can saute that doesn't have an egg type texture... do I have to flour it before I saute it? I'd really like to try cooking with it, as I only eat fish and poultry (not duck though)... so I need more protein options. Any guidance?
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    I have a tip :)

If you freeze it and thaw it out, the texture is completely changed. It's chewy and spongy. (That probably sounded gross, but blame it on my powers of describing food, not the tofu.)

If you then squeeze the water out, it will soak up any marinades amazingly well. Marinate it, then bake or fry as you were going to.
  • Rebecca deWinterRebecca deWinter Registered Users Posts: 2,254
    i think i learned the hard way how well tofu soaks up flavor.

i prepared my firm tofu by pressing, freezing, thawing, and pressing again, then i marinated it, but i think i let it go waaaay too long (like an hour and a half while i was running errands). the flavor was good, but it was WAY TOO flavorful.

i saw on another reply to this thread to marinate for about 10 mins...i went well over that. (doh!) i'm still experimenting though.

anyway, this may sound like a stupid question with a stupidly obvious answer, but is there such a thing as "over-marinating?"

i'm thinkin yeah...
    *~*displaced yooper*~*
    :hockey: \m/ \m/
    3069786076_f03f452f63.jpg?v=0
    master quigley and queen ruby, my puppy loves <3
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    It could be but also it gets so spongy after freezing, thawing and pressing that it just uptakes way more stuff. You might try squeezing it a little after marinating if it's been frozen and thawed, to wring out some of the excess.
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
    I got some extra firm tofu. I wasn't sure how to press it, so I cut in half in thickness and pressed it between 2 layers of paper towels. Then, I cut it into cubes. I found a chinese box mix...I thought it would be good to start out with something that I thought would be tasty. It had a seasoned cornstarch that I tossed it in and then sauteed until it was crusty brown...then I added the sauce that came with it... MAN was that good. My DH even cleared his plate. He didn't go for seconds, but it was so filling that we didn't need it. I could definitely see doing that again. Thanks for the tips!!
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • UsodaUsoda Registered Users Posts: 918
    Chickenless Chicken Salad
    • 1-pound extra-firm brick tofu
    • Soy sauce
    • Sping or filtered Water
    • 3 celery stalks, diced
    • 1 small red onion, diced
    • 1 red bell pepper, roasted over an open flame, peeled, seeded, and diced
    • 1/2 teaspoon EACH basil, sage, rosemary, and oregano
    • 2 teaspoons paprika
    • 1 to 1 1/2 cups Tofu Mayo
    Preheat over to 400F. Lightly oil a baking sheet. Cut tofu into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place slices in a shallow dish and cover with a mixture of 1 part soy sauce to 4 parts water. Allow tofu to marinate 10 minutes. Place tofu slices on oiled baking sheet and back 30 to 35 minutes or until deep, golden brown and crispy on the outside.

Remove tofu slices from oven and allow to cool until you can handle them. Then, shred the tofu slices with a sharp knife, creating irregular, angular pieces similar to shredded chicken. Mix with vegetables, spices, and Tofu Mayo until ingredients are coated. Chill thoroughly before serving. Makes 4 servings.

VARIATION: Broil tofu for a few minutes rather than baking it.

Tofu Mayo
    • 8 ounces firm tofu
    • 2 to 3 tablespoons stone-ground mustard or to taste
    • 2 to 3 teaspoons umeboshi vinegar or to taste
    • 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup
    • Sea salt
    • Juice of 1 lemon
    • 3 to 4 tablespoons corn oil
    Bring a small post of water to a boil over medium heat. Add tofu nad cook 5 minutes. Drain well.
    Transfer tofu to a food processor or blender. Add remaining ingredients and puree until smooth and creamy. Makes about 1 1/4 cups.

My Notes

Often I don't even use red pepper, I use 1/4-1/2 cup rehydrated sun dried tomatoes, sliced.

I've used fresh and roasted red pepper, both very good. If I used roasted red pepper, I just purchase the kind in a jar.

I haven't ever made the tofu mayo, but I've heard it is very good. Personally (and lazily) I just used Vegannaise.

I've used several different brands of tofu, but my favorite right now is Trader Joe's Super Firm. White Wave makes a great extra firm, too. But, if you've been eating tofu, you probably already know all this :)

Recipe Source: Cooking the Whole Foods Way by Christina Pirello

• MagooMagoo Registered Users Posts: 2,173 Curl Neophyte
    I'm glad I found this thread. I just found out my 3 year old loves tofu! I was eating some Miso soup with chunks of tofu in it and he was begging me for the pieces. He thinks it's cheese!:wink:
    I have been looking for ways to make it for him.
    He's not a big fan of meat so this will be a good way to get some protein in him.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • brown_eyedgal20brown_eyedgal20 Registered Users Posts: 412
    Magoo wrote: »
    I just found out my 3 year old loves tofu! quote]

My 3 year old little girl loves it too and I have been clueless as in how to prepare it. Guess I'll be picking some up at the store next time I go...

Thanks ladies!
    2c/3aMiii

Loving JC and CK products...:) Been loving them for 3 years...looking to branch out and try new things!!!
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Registered Users Posts: 5,398
    Genius thread!! Thanks :)
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • GabbylkpGabbylkp Registered Users Posts: 197
    How long is everyone pressing their tofu? It seems as though I either don't press long enough, and the texture is to soft, or I do it for to long, and it's crumbly and dry in texture.
    Dwight Schrute: [pushing Michael's face into the wet cement] Force it in as deep as you can. Michael Scott: That's what she said.
    bumping for smo
    Poodlehead wrote:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file