CurlTalk

Honey - God's gift to curls :)

love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
So, I love some honey added to conditioner to boost the moisturizing and detangling properties.... This morning, I added a drop to my hair gel (Biolage Gellee) and absolutely loved it!!! The results are shinier hair and bouncier curls.

Who else here is using honey and LOVING IT too :?:
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
"I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
- Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)

Comments

• DaBoogieDownCurlyDaBoogieDownCurly Posts: 16Registered Users
    I have been using honey mixed in with whatever leave in I am using for a while now. I feel it gives my hair a lot of shine, enhances my curls, and maybe even boosts the hold of the curl (since I know that too much honey makes hair stiff and crunchy). I even got my sister hooked on honey. One day she had ran out of honey and said that she hated the way her hair came out.
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    DBDC-

You are such a good sister! I have my sisters hooked on all kinds of products.. they trust me and my taste :wink: I am curious, have you ever tried mollases :?: I think it is supposed to be similar, but have darkening properties too, which could be good for my hair..

I also love your avatar... Makes me hungry for cookies :D
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."

• O d d i s y~O d d i s y~ Posts: 1,042Registered Users
    im gonna buy honey now!!
    8)

you guys are always making me buy something... not that im complaining though! :twisted:
    And the end of the day , all you've got is yourself..:headbang:
  • DaBoogieDownCurlyDaBoogieDownCurly Posts: 16Registered Users
    Curltopia wrote:
    DBDC-

You are such a good sister! I have my sisters hooked on all kinds of products.. they trust me and my taste :wink: I am curious, have you ever tried mollases :?: I think it is supposed to be similar, but have darkening properties too, which could be good for my hair..

I also love your avatar... Makes me hungry for cookies :D

Nah, I have never tried molasses... but in terms of hair coloring, I swear the honey has made my hair lighter over the course of time I have been using it (nearly a year maybe?) I have brown hair but I have developed these really pretty natural reddish/blondish highlights but mainly in the bottom 2/3 of my hair...

And I love cookie monster! I even have him on my charm bracelet :D
    Oddisy-

Good! since we'll be having no PJ-related complaints :twisted: Besides honey is cheap! It barely even counts as a hair product :P

DBDC-

Wow = natural highlights with honey?! How much are you using woman? 8) Anyway, sounds like a nice side benefit...

• curly_princesscurly_princess Posts: 360Registered Users
    LOL curltopia, you crack me up!

I love honey too!! (and so do the ants that invaded my bathroom :x :x ...Poor, poor Mr. Honeybear :( )

Honey is quite a fabulous treat for curls. :wink: Hope you like it oddisy!
    3a/b, fine hair... with a mind of its own!
    PW- frenchfries

Your hair, it's everywhere. Screaming infidelities, taking its wear.
  • EnricaEnrica Posts: 86Registered Users
    Yes run, don't walk! Yes, I hesitated... I even started a bee-n-honey thread (sorry about those ants :(). This stuff is the magic ingredient. I started off just putting a couple of drops in my daughter's co washes and her hair was infused with shine and softness. I couldn't believe the curls -- springy and beautiful.

Curly Princess, make sure you give Honeybear a rinse too, before you put him back in the cabinet. The ants arrived before Mr. HB, but they haven't noticed him yet. I keep one of those disk traps in there too, since mine only shares walls with the outside. I think too, when you store all these great, natural products in the bathroom it's a must.

:wink:
    3c representative of a 2c-4a curly clan.
    Keeping it simple, natural & sulfate free. Fan of pure oils, butters & glycerin to moisturize.
  • orangebeachorangebeach Posts: 39Registered Users
    Yes, I've jumped on the honey bandwagon, too. I use it in my DT and when I detangle with conditioner. I don't rinse it all out, and I've noticed that I can get away with less gel. Much rather have honey in my hair all day than gobs of drying gel like I used to do. I also use it on my face as a scrub and it makes my skin soft as a baby's behing. I love honey!
    CG since 11/19/03

3-B

Current faves: Elucence M/B Conditioner, Jessicurl DT and Too Shea!, LA Looks Curl Looks Gel, Suave Milk and Honey for condish washing, jojoba oil and coconut oil.
    Mmmmmm, more honey and less gel...That is intriguing, although I am getting great results with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Angell-p-57.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-angell]Devacurl Angel[/buylink]l and B&A biomineral, so feel no real need to mess with a good thing... But it does sound like a fun experiment 8)

• gryantmarch2stepgryantmarch2step Posts: 454Registered Users
    So, how do I do this? Walk me through it, step by step! I buy regular honey at the store and then what? Put a couple squeezes into my condish? Can I leave it in?...a little confused, but I would love to try this!
    3B~Botticelli/3C~ Corkicelli~Blonde
    Faves: B&A Gel, BRHG, ReCoil, KC Knot Today, Curl Junkie CCCC

PW: dmbcurls
    Gryantmarch2step-

Hi there :D I am no expert, but there is what I have done, step by step...

Honey with conditioner-

This really boosts the moisturizing and detangling effects of random, so-so conditioners. I blended 1/2 conditioner (using Nature's Gate jojoba conditioner), 1/4 honey and 1/4 extra virgin olive oil. I did this a couple of times in different amounts, so have provided ratios only. I use this like any other conditioner - appy to wet hair, brush if I am going to brush that day (optional, of course), and rinse out. It rinses out clean and my hair feels smooth with some shine :D The honey and oil improve the performance of the conditioner!

Honey with styling products-

I used about a quarter size amount of a regular leave-in (Jane Carter Solution Nourishing Cream, my fave) and applied to damp hair. Then I followed with a nickle size amount of Biolage Gellee, 1 drop of honey from a small squeeze bottle and some water to dilute the concoction. Applied this to damp hair and allowed it to air dry. No stickiness at all! Just shine and moist curls :D

I'm sure that other honey devotees will have more........

Honey Rinse-

Take 2 tablespoons of honey and put it in a large cup, bottle, or squeezy thing. Add warm water (I add shower water) and slowly pour over your head, after shampooing (if you shampoo) and before you put conditioner on your hair. Massage it in and let soak for a while, then add conditioner. Rinse.

Also, when I add some honey to my condish, I just squirt a little into the palm of my hand and mix it with the conditoner. No specific ratios or anything, just however much I feel like.

:D
    PW- frenchfries

• KnottyKnotty Posts: 164Registered Users
    Can I just add honey to my bottle of conditioner?
    3c/4a
    event.png
    Can I just add honey to my bottle of conditioner?

No! Never. That's totally against the rules.

:P

I think it's fine, but just be careful because the conditioner can spoil easier with honey - I think it counter-acts the preservatives... I think. Correct me if I'm wrong, someone.
    PW- frenchfries

Curly Princess-

I could have written your post, word for word. Thumbs up on the advice :D

Hi, LoverofHair - let us know how much you end up loving HONEY :P

• gryantmarch2stepgryantmarch2step Posts: 454Registered Users
    Thanks so much everyone!! I will definately try honey, and let you all know how it goes!
    3B~Botticelli/3C~ Corkicelli~Blonde
    Faves: B&A Gel, BRHG, ReCoil, KC Knot Today, Curl Junkie CCCC

PW: dmbcurls
  • KnottyKnotty Posts: 164Registered Users
    If it spoils then I'll probably just mix up a little bit in a travel bottle. I tried using honey before mixed with olive oil but it was too sticky. I think it might be easier if it's mixed in the conditioner.
    3c/4a
    event.png
    If it spoils then I'll probably just mix up a little bit in a travel bottle. I tried using honey before mixed with olive oil but it was too sticky. I think it might be easier if it's mixed in the conditioner.

Great idea to put it in a travel bottle. If you don't like it, then you didn't waste a whole bottle of conditioner. (But of course, you will like it, right curltopia? :wink: )
    PW- frenchfries

• sweetpeacurlisweetpeacurli Posts: 343Registered Users
    Enrica wrote:
    Curly Princess, make sure you give Honeybear a rinse too, before you put him back in the cabinet. The ants arrived before Mr. HB, but they haven't noticed him yet. I keep one of those disk traps in there too, since mine only shares walls with the outside. I think too, when you store all these great, natural products in the bathroom it's a must.

:wink:

Honey mixed with a little bucolic acid (think I'm spelling that right?) will get rid of the ants. Leave a puddle of the mixture on a piece of saran wrap or something (for easy clean up). The ants will take the food back to the queen. Voila, ant problem gone.

HUGE thanks to my roommate for knowing this... our ant problem was rather disgusting before we tried this. We haven't seen one ant in our apartment since!
    Sulfate and Silicone-free since 2005
    CO-wash convert since October 2010
    Photos: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2F54501272%40N04%2F" class="Popup
    Website: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fhealthycurls.net" class="Popup
    Twitter: @sweetpeacurli

Currently loving:
    • Vo5 tea therapy conditioners
    • Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner
    • Giovanni Direct leave-in
    • Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee
    I am now completely out of the closet as the craziest of crazy cat ladies. I own it. I embrace it. I am one with the crazy.
  • EnricaEnrica Posts: 86Registered Users
    Thx Sweetpea, hadn't heard of that. The bait disks use the same principle. I haven't had anymore ants either, but I can see how the sweet allure of Mr. Honeybear could be a problem. ;)
    3c representative of a 2c-4a curly clan.
    Keeping it simple, natural & sulfate free. Fan of pure oils, butters & glycerin to moisturize.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Does it really lighten natural hair colour as posted on the main forum? Anyone used molasses instead?
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris-

Good questions! I am curious to know the answers too!

Great idea to put it in a travel bottle. If you don't like it, then you didn't waste a whole bottle of conditioner. (But of course, you will like it, right curltopia? :wink: )

How very right you are CP!! :D 8)

• curlsallovercurlsallover Posts: 16Registered Users
    Orangebeach - how do you use honey as a facial scub? I think I would like to try this.
    Mostly 3B corkscrews.
  • orangebeachorangebeach Posts: 39Registered Users
    curlsallover, I have been using the OCM (Oil Cleansing Method) which I discovered here for about a month on a daily basis. After cleansing with the OCM, I simply slather my face and neck with honey and leave in while I shower. I do this about every 3rd day. I then rinse off with a wash cloth. Leaves my skin very soft. Have thought about adding a "scrubby" ingredient such as dry, blended up oatmeal, but haven't tried yet.

I hope you enjoy this,too. :)
    CG since 11/19/03

3-B

Current faves: Elucence M/B Conditioner, Jessicurl DT and Too Shea!, LA Looks Curl Looks Gel, Suave Milk and Honey for condish washing, jojoba oil and coconut oil.
  • BCurlyGBCurlyG Posts: 8Registered Users
    Honey is the BEST! I had been feeling all alone with all the raves about honey, and it just wasn't working for me, when I tried a honey rinse without ANY styling products. It was amazing! I couldn't believe that a cup of honey water, which looks like nothing, can make my hair behave better than great huge globs of gel. It was well-defined, shiny and frizz-free - and looked totally natural (my real bare-nekked hair is scary).

My routine - CO wash, rinse, pour 1 teaspoon honey mixed with 1 cup of warm water over hair. Don't rinse out. use 2 t of Too-Shea or Elucence as a leave-in, and air-dry. That's it. To make things even simpler (and to not waste any honey), I'm going to try adding teeny amounts of honey to the Too-Shea instead of doing the rinse.

Plus, honey is cheap, easy to find, and you don't have to worry about bees adding silicones or other objectionable ingredients to their product.
    You don't have to stand there in the store squinting to read the teeny-tiny ingredient list and wonder what all those chemicals are and what they will do to your hair. Also, I read on another thread, that honey is naturally anti-bacterial or anti-microbial or something like that, so it doesn't have to be refrigerated and won't spoil.

I love this stuff.
    3b-fine & thick. Main problems are dryness and frizzies. Favorite product so far - Jessicurl Too Shea
  • cjccjc Posts: 636Registered Users
    Can you mix honey with gel(aura-hypo)....or is it better to mix it with condish?
    cjc
    3B very thick, curly hair and on the longer side
    Palm Beach County, Fl
  • ~915~~915~ Posts: 519Registered Users
    I love honey, too. The best results that I've had involved mixing about a tablespoon with a good conditioner and not rinsing it out. It enhances curl better than Mag. Sulfate, which I find drying.

The times that I've mixed it with gel didn't work out for a variety of reasons, so I'm sticking (ha, ha) to mixing it with the condish.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I haven't tried mixing honey with condish yet. Thanks for covering the how-tos. This will have to be a weekend experiment, in the near future.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • whosurcreampuffwhosurcreampuff Posts: 31Registered Users
    honey is good, it does lighten my hair a bit, it works well as a leave in. Molasses is even better for me though, thank you ladies who posted about this. I mix it in w/ my conditioner and I swear it is making my hair darker? Which is good, my highlights were fading. Either the honey or molasses make my hair MUCH less frizzy, so that is awesome.
  • O d d i s y~O d d i s y~ Posts: 1,042Registered Users
    i LOVe IT!! this is what i did!
    1. added with condish and washed it all off
    2. Plopped with ONLY honey.- abt one spoon on wet hair.
    3. added honey with my product and diffused it.

at first it was a little sticky.. but my curls are curlier and i liked it!!
    8)
    And the end of the day , all you've got is yourself..:headbang: