What do you use to keep your color from fading?

dxwashdxwash Posts: 245Registered Users
I am a modified CG and I color my hair from Dark brown to blond. What can I use that is CG friendly to help my color last and not turn brassy on me? I was thinking of trying Aveda Color conserve. any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• curlsgirlcurlsgirl Posts: 104Registered Users
    Do you bleach your hair and then put toner on it? Or do you just use a one step lightening like in a box (Loreal Preference etc.)? You may be going too light for the one process kit to lighten. That is usually the case when you are getting brassiness. If you are bleaching and then putting a toner on it then you may not be leaving the bleach on long enough to bring it up to a light enough shade. This would cause orange tones and look brassy.

Other than that if you want to keep doing what you are doing there are shampoos that are usually purple in color that help but they don't change the color really. They are like temporary toners and wash out after one wash. I used to use Clairol shimmer lights and it helps a bit. You can get that at Sally'r Beauty supply. Aveda makes one too but I think it works probably about the same. You may also try an ash shade toner if you are using a neutral or golden one now. Be sure and do a strand test first though. HTH!
    3a M iii waist stretched and growing :)
    newpics2-2.jpg
  • jelleauxjelleaux Posts: 4Registered Users
    curlsgirl wrote:
    Do you bleach your hair and then put toner on it? Or do you just use a one step lightening like in a box (Loreal Preference etc.)? You may be going too light for the one process kit to lighten. That is usually the case when you are getting brassiness. If you are bleaching and then putting a toner on it then you may not be leaving the bleach on long enough to bring it up to a light enough shade. This would cause orange tones and look brassy.

Other than that if you want to keep doing what you are doing there are shampoos that are usually purple in color that help but they don't change the color really. They are like temporary toners and wash out after one wash. I used to use Clairol shimmer lights and it helps a bit. You can get that at Sally'r Beauty supply. Aveda makes one too but I think it works probably about the same. You may also try an ash shade toner if you are using a neutral or golden one now. Be sure and do a strand test first though. HTH!

I second everything curlsgirl stated above. I wanted to add that you can leave the Clairol Shimmer Lights shampoo in longer, or you can even mix it 50-50 with 20-volume or higher developer, lathered in and left on for 15 minutes. I picked that tip up from an article on hairboutique.com. Also, a toner will work wonders for cutting down on brassiness.
    3A/B blonde curls, and... a pixie cut! :D
  • dxwashdxwash Posts: 245Registered Users
    I get my hair done at the salon and she does the bleach then the toner. The color always looks great for the first few weeks but then around week 6 it starts to turn red and brassy. My stylist suggested two things don't go so long between touch up ( when I come in I usually have about a inch of roots) or do a toner in between. Can I do a toner at home? What should I use?
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    dxwash wrote:
    I get my hair done at the salon and she does the bleach then the toner. The color always looks great for the first few weeks but then around week 6 it starts to turn red and brassy. My stylist suggested two things don't go so long between touch up ( when I come in I usually have about a inch of roots) or do a toner in between. Can I do a toner at home? What should I use?
    You can try using Color by Robert Craig at home to refresh the highlights until your next salon appt.
    http://www.merchantamerica.com/robertcraig/index.php?ba=view_category&category=2331
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    How about DevaBlonde products?

DevaBlonde
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • jelleauxjelleaux Posts: 4Registered Users
    dxwash wrote:

You can definitely use a toner at home! If you can find out what toner your stylist uses, you might be able to buy it at a beauty supply store like Sally's or Ulta. I recommend Wella toners, they're wonderful. If you talk to your stylist, she should be able to explain the process to you. It's really actually quite simple. If you have any questions or need some direction, feel free to private message me. :)
    3A/B blonde curls, and... a pixie cut! :D
  • dxwashdxwash Posts: 245Registered Users
    The developer isn't the same thing as a toner? I didn't see any Wella Toners on the Sally website? Does Clairol Professional make a toner?
  • boticelli-beeyatchboticelli-beeyatch Posts: 4Registered Users
    Co wash with clairol shimmer lights conditioner.
    it has no 'cones!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file