CurlTalk

i want highlights

cookie5cookie5 Posts: 23Registered Users
can someone tell me what color highlights i should get? i was thinking like maybe an auburn color...or should i just leave it how it is? what do you think?

here are some recent pics of my hair:
/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpg.photos.yahoo.com%2Fph%2Fhokie_girl05%2Falbum%3F.dir%3D953d%26amp%3B.src%3Dph%26amp%3Bstore%3D%26amp%3Bprodid%3D%26amp%3B.done%3Dhttp%253a%2F%2Fpg.photos.yahoo.com%2Fph%2Fhokie_girl05%2Fmy_photos" class="Popup
Hairtype- 3b/c
BC- December 18, 2004
Length- About 6-6.5 inches (stretched)
Monthly Goal- 1/2- 1 inch
Ultimate Goal- 25 inches(stretched), Healthy
/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.picturetrail.com%2Fgallery%2Fview%3Fusername%3Datl_mulattamami" class="Popup
Check out my album! :)

Comments

• cookie5cookie5 Posts: 23Registered Users
    no one wants to help me out?? :(
    Hairtype- 3b/c
    BC- December 18, 2004
    Length- About 6-6.5 inches (stretched)
    Monthly Goal- 1/2- 1 inch
    Ultimate Goal- 25 inches(stretched), Healthy
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.picturetrail.com%2Fgallery%2Fview%3Fusername%3Datl_mulattamami" class="Popup
    Check out my album! :)
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I like dark hair so I wouldn't get any - your hair looks so healthy and shiny and the highlights could wreck that. If you want a change, try a reddish semi-permanent colour, or a chocolate brown (which is what I have right now and I love it).
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    Your hair is very cute and looks like Subbrock's hair now that it's grown out some.. I agree with Amneris. Highlights are going to fry your hair and what a shame that would be :!: I also agree with Amneris on the color suggestions. Blonde wouldn't work with your skin tone and probably would wash you out; stick with reds and browns.
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • PottervillePotterville Posts: 137Registered Users
    I say no to highlights as well, they will wreck your hair and with the length it's at now, it could end up looking like spots.
    VERY THICK 3c/3b -Dr. Bronners Peppermint Soap to Shampoo or Elucence Cond. daily/dt, Cantu Shea Butter Leave In to style.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpotterville.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • st. louis bluest. louis blue Posts: 404Registered Users
    Is there a way to get highlights that won't wreck your hair?

I was thinking about getting some highlights before the fall wedding of a friend, but my concern is that since I don' t have enough length to spare any to needless trimming, maybe I shouldn't put any hair at risk. I've had them twice: once reddish, and once blond. The blond ones definitely felt like straw after a month or so, but then again, I was using shampoo and whatnot then. The red ones grew out fine; I was using shampoo then as well.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    your hair looks so great cookie! i love your curly puff! curltopia is right, it kinda does look like mine :wink:

every summer i lighten my hair, and this time, like every time, i do an all over lightening color and then have highlights put in as well. that way it doesnt look like crazy streaks through such dark hair. i love the color, but it did dry out my hair at first. but i keep my hair healthy, so i didnt have any breakage or anything, just drier hair.

i say if you want to, and your hair is healthy, go for it. just keep it well conditioned and hydrated. AND DONT USE AN AT HOME KIT! go to a professional!!!
  • nappybychoicenappybychoice Posts: 28Registered Users
    Looks like I'm coming in a little late on this thread. You can check out my pics of highlights. I got them last year and I can't wait until they grow out. I miss my dark hair. :cry: It took a couple of months for my hair to get used the color. It was very dry and I had to deep condition every week. The highlights were pretty, but very hard on my hair. Not necessarily damaging, but definitely drying. Good luck w/ your decision.
    Tight curls...well maybe not so much anymore.
    "You have 'springy' hair." -- nappybychoice's husband.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • urbancurlurbancurl Posts: 980Registered Users
    I don't know if you're still considering this, but, I had strawberry blonde highlights done at a salon years ago and my hair felt the same afterwards. I loved them! Maybe you could research a little more and I would also recommend going to a salon/stylist that you trust. There is also a thread somewhere about henna.
    "It is wrong to use moral means to preserve immoral ends." MLK, Jr.

Password= urban
  • LadydncingLadydncing Posts: 964Registered Users
    urbancurl wrote:
    I don't know if you're still considering this, but, I had strawberry blonde highlights done at a salon years ago and my hair felt the same afterwards. I loved them! Maybe you could research a little more and I would also recommend going to a salon/stylist that you trust. There is also a thread somewhere about henna.

Urbancurl,

I really enjoyed your 2nd hair day album! :) You have beautiful hair! I think your hair looked awesome! 8)
    In that album, is that your natural hair color? also when you used the stawberry blonde highlights was permanent, semi-p., or henna?

Thanks for sharing! :)
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
    Ladydncing wrote:
    urbancurl wrote:

Urbancurl,

I really enjoyed your 2nd hair day album! :) You have beautiful hair! I think your hair looked awesome! 8)
    In that album, is that your natural hair color? also when you used the stawberry blonde highlights was permanent, semi-p., or henna?

Thanks for sharing! :)

Hi Ladydncing! Thank you for the compliment. That is *mostly* my natural color. I streaked a few small sections of my hair with Sun-In (peroxide) last summer to get coppery highlights like I had naturally when I was little. Peroxide is known to be drying, but I kept my hair really conditioned when I did it and I didn't put it on all of my hair. I love the slightly brighter color it gave me. I am hoping when I go to Devachan for the hair model thing that they can lighten my hair slightly. When I had the professional highlights, it was permanent color. It lasted until my hair grew out. I have never tried henna except for a henna shampoo once. It made my hair darker! So you are thinking of getting highlights?

Password= urban
    UrbanCurls,

Thanks for responding! You are going to be a hair model on Aug. 1st? I am! That's cool! :) Wow, I already know a few curlies who are going.
    I wasn't planning on getting highlight, but probably will since I volunteered to be a model. I wonder if the chemicals that they use
    at Devachan for the highlights are permanent or semi p. ? Anyone? :)
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl

event.png
    Ladydncing wrote:
    UrbanCurls,

Thanks for responding! You are going to be a hair model on Aug. 1st? I am! That's cool! :) Wow, I already know a few curlies who are going.
    I wasn't planning on getting highlight, but probably will since I volunteered to be a model. I wonder if the chemicals that they use
    at Devachan for the highlights are permanent or semi p. ? Anyone? :)

yay!!!!! I'm so glad you're goiing too! Maybe on the website it says something about the color they use? I'm gonna check when I get a chance.

Password= urban
    Maya, I couldn't find any info on the Devachan website about what kind of color they use. :(

Password= urban
    urbancurl wrote:
    Maya, I couldn't find any info on the Devachan website about what kind of color they use. :(

Urbancurl,

I just called Devachan to inquire about the color. They were very nice and helpful. Basically, they are going to pair you or group you with a stylist(s) and you are going to tell them more or less what you want. However, they are hoping that we are a bit flexible, which is ok with me.
    As far as color goes, it's the Pintura Method and it permanent. She told me that they don't use foil. HTH :)
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl

event.png
    Thanks, Maya! That sounds good to me too. :D

Password= urban