Shine

DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Registered Users Posts: 2,729
Okay so CG has been wonderful to my hair and my curls...better condition, less frizz, more defined curls...BUT...one thing that I am having issues with is shine. My hair looks shiney the first day...I always have wonderful second day hair but its no longer shiney. I was using a shea butter oil and it helped with the shine but the scent was overbearing. Is there any CG friendly product that will help me add some shine to my hair? Or a softly scented oil? Please? TIA! :)
3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.

Comments

• JerseyCurlJerseyCurl Registered Users Posts: 945
    Okay so CG has been wonderful to my hair and my curls...better condition, less frizz, more defined curls...BUT...one thing that I am having issues with is shine. My hair looks shiney the first day...I always have wonderful second day hair but its no longer shiney. I was using a shea butter oil and it helped with the shine but the scent was overbearing. Is there any CG friendly product that will help me add some shine to my hair? Or a softly scented oil? Please? TIA! :)
    I have read on this board that JOJOBA OIL is very similar to our own sebum oil so maybe that would work. I have also used in the past with much success [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Oil-Blend-for-Softer-Hair-p-338.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Jessicurl-Oil-Blend-for-Softer-Hair]Jessicurl's Oil Blend for Softer Hair[/buylink]. It left my hair soft and shiny. Nice to see another Dominicana on the board. My parents are from the Dominican Republic. I was born in Brooklyn NY and raised in Long Branch NJ and grew up on Arroz con Pollo and Merengue. It was very CHEVERZ. :D
    "Wonder Twin Powers, Activate! "
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Registered Users Posts: 2,729
    JerseyCurl wrote:
    I have read on this board that JOJOBA OIL is very similar to our own sebum oil so maybe that would work. I have also used in the past with much success [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Oil-Blend-for-Softer-Hair-p-338.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Jessicurl-Oil-Blend-for-Softer-Hair]Jessicurl's Oil Blend for Softer Hair[/buylink]. It left my hair soft and shiny. Nice to see another Dominicana on the board. My parents are from the Dominican Republic. I was born in Brooklyn NY and raised in Long Branch NJ and grew up on Arroz con Pollo and Merengue. It was very CHEVERZ. :D

Heeeey mama! Another Dominicana on the board! Nice! We were both raised the SAME way too haha. ;) I was born in NYC and raised and still live in Queens. Parents were born out in DR too. :)

And thanks for that tip on the Jojoba. I also noticed tons of great reviews on it, so it definitely seems worth a shot. :)
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
    JerseyCurl wrote:

Heeeey mama! Another Dominicana on the board! Nice! We were both raised the SAME way too haha. ;) I was born in NYC and raised and still live in Queens. Parents were born out in DR too. :)

And thanks for that tip on the Jojoba. I also noticed tons of great reviews on it, so it definitely seems worth a shot. :)
    I haven't been to NY in such a long time. I could definately do with some papa rellenos, mmm... :D
    Haha stop ittt. You're gonna make me starve at midnight thinking about papas rellenas LOL! :lol::lol::lol: But seriously, I haven't had those in years... :cry:
    Haha stop ittt. You're gonna make me starve at midnight thinking about papas rellenas LOL! :lol::lol::lol: But seriously, I haven't had those in years... :cry:
    :lol: Next time you have one, have an extra one for me. :D
    *looks at tummy* Eh what the hell, you got it :lol:
    *looks at tummy* Eh what the hell, you got it :lol:
    :lol:
  • Bx CG2BBx CG2B Registered Users Posts: 3
    HOla Dominicanas! Nice to finally see other girls that can truly understand my hair. Do you guys still use heat on your hair by any chance?
    I think I'm a 3C (definitely a Corkscrew), currently on Devacurl products (although I cheated for a few weeks). Highly recommend Angell and baking soda rinses. Transitioning since January '05.
    Bx CG2B wrote:
    HOla Dominicanas! Nice to finally see other girls that can truly understand my hair. Do you guys still use heat on your hair by any chance?
    Nope, not since late last year. It is too hot down here in Florida to introduce more heat. :shock:
    Hey hey, welcome! :)

I haven't blown my hair out (straight) since mid February and the last time I used a diffuser on my hair was a little over two months ago...don't like the results I get by diffusing.

I have been considering going straight a few times during the late fall/winter to avoid wet head in the mornings here in NYC...or I'll just wash it in the evening and just plop for the entire night and hope its dry by the next morning...we'll see :)
    Bx CG2B wrote:
    Ooops, I forgot to say hello, HOLA!!! :D
  • Bx CG2BBx CG2B Registered Users Posts: 3
    No hay problema :D . Just good to see other Quisqueyanas on the site. I've already blown out my hair so whatever, I'm sure it can't be that damaging. I only do it once a week.
    I think I'm a 3C (definitely a Corkscrew), currently on Devacurl products (although I cheated for a few weeks). Highly recommend Angell and baking soda rinses. Transitioning since January '05.
    Yeah I've been really tempted to blow my hair out but I am going to try my hair to hold out until its cooler...like in September/October. I need a haircut too.
  • PokahontasPokahontas Registered Users Posts: 184
    You may need to clarify your hair to remove the build up that could be causing your lack of shine. I usually clarify using vinegar diluted with water before I no poo or shampoo and it gives me great shine. Also, finishing with a cold water rinse helps with shine...if u can stand the cold :shock: . :lol:
    Pokahontas wrote:
    You may need to clarify your hair to remove the build up that could be causing your lack of shine. I usually clarify using vinegar diluted with water before I no poo or shampoo and it gives me great shine. Also, finishing with a cold water rinse helps with shine...if u can stand the cold :shock: . :lol:

I've been thinking about doing an ACV rinse too! Thanks! The summer sun is also taking the color and shine out of my hair...this sun has been crazy this summer.
  • miaDUMINACANmiaDUMINACAN Registered Users Posts: 16
    Bx CG2B wrote:
    No hay problema :D . Just good to see other Quisqueyanas on the site. I've already blown out my hair so whatever, I'm sure it can't be that damaging. I only do it once a week.

My parents were born in DR too. Which reminds me I havent been back for a long time!

Pokahantas is right you need to use apple cidar vinegar (many dominican salons use this). Also I use Ginsing miracle 8 which has jojoba oil I mix with my normal condish and honey and go under heat for 20 min.
    3a/b

No poo, Deva brown, One C, Deva Leav in, BioSilk Rock Hard Gel and Diffuse!!!

I am loving honey w/ ginsing miracle 8 as my treatment.
    Bx CG2B wrote:

My parents were born in DR too. Which reminds me I havent been back for a long time!

Pokahantas is right you need to use apple cidar vinegar (many dominican salons use this). Also I use Ginsing miracle 8 which has jojoba oil I mix with my normal condish and honey and go under heat for 20 min.
    Hola! Another Dominicana, woohoo! Hey, I live in Florida as well but on the West Side.

I have never been to the Dominican Republic and hope to someday visit. Sounds like such a beautiful place. :D
    DominicanaHeat - I just noticed that me hair is dry today and it always looks so good on the 1st day. But when I 1st started CG it only looked good on the second day. Weird

Jersey Girl- Sorry to talk about food but I love making mangu on Sunday mornings w/ Salami Induveca and cheso frito!! U cant get more dominican than that!!!
    3a/b

DominicanaHeat - I just noticed that me hair is dry today and it always looks so good on the 1st day. But when I 1st started CG it only looked good on the second day. Weird

Jersey Girl- Sorry to talk about food but I love making mangu on Sunday mornings w/ Salami Induveca and cheso frito!! U cant get more dominican than that!!!
    Mija, you are making hungry! I soo wished that I could visit NY or NJ more, what I truly miss is Papa Rellenos, Platanos Maduro, Yucca and my favorite Con Con! I am seriously salivating as I am writing this. :lol:
    My Dad and I fight for this!! I love it!! Do you know some people throw this away! That should be a crime!
    3a/b

My Dad and I fight for this!! I love it!! Do you know some people throw this away! That should be a crime!
    I assume you mean con con. I agree it should be a crime. I can't believe people do that.

Growing up in my house, I was the only one who ate it. My Mom knew better than to throw away any con con. I think she just liked the fact that with me eating it it cut her clean up time. I have heard stories of me eating con con at the age of like 1 or 2.

Actually, I think in my whole family me and my uncle are the only ones who loooooooove this stuff. My husband, a gringo, doesn't get the appeal. I was like it is soo yummy and crunchy and you put some of that juice from beans and it is mui cheverez! :D
    Jersey- Yes sorry con con!

Does your hubby like Spanish food? U should take him to DR. There are lost of beautiful Hotels there in Punta Cana! It's very affordable.
    3a/b

Jersey- Yes sorry con con!

Does your hubby like Spanish food? U should take him to DR. There are lost of beautiful Hotels there in Punta Cana! It's very affordable.
    Oh yes, he loooooooooves pernie( I think that is how you spell it? :oops: ), papa rellenos and he loooves him some Johnny Ventura! :lol:
    Sometime I wish I was with a Gringo!! My Puerto Rican boyfriend won't even dance Spanish music or listen to it at all!! Unless its Spanish rock or ballads.

My American boyfriends though used to swear they were dominican.

Well what can I do? =)
    3a/b

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file