Help a new 2B...

elliemeenkelliemeenk Posts: 62Registered Users
When I was young (0-25 years) I had straight hair. Now that I have had children and have gone mostly silver I find that I have type 2B hair.

I don't know what to do with it or how to care for it. My waves are fairly small and evenly all over my head. It looks like I got a perm but I have never had one. I have medium to thick hair. I just don't know what to wash it with or what products to use on it so I can wash and wear.

I feel like I'm in a foriegn land. The sad part is I'm a retired hairdresser...

I have been blowing it straight but then I have to straighten with an iron or curl it because it looks damaged and frizzy.

How can I wear it wavy? Can I coax it to curl? I wish it would be big waves or be pretty...

HELP!

Ellie

Comments

• eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This site has lots of information on how to care for wavy and curly hair, so start reading the different posts, starting with the Curl 411 section. The main advice is to avoid shampoos with sulphates and to only shampoo once a week if possible. Conditioner is also extremely important for dry hair, but the conditioner shouldn't contain silicones which coat the hair and can only be removed with sulphates. There are different techniques to try like applying styling products to dripping wet hair, scrunching, plopping, diffusing upside down, etc. There is a lot to learn and to try, but that's half the fun. The best part is that your hair will become healthier and maybe even curlier as a result of better care. Good luck!
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • elliemeenkelliemeenk Posts: 62Registered Users
    Thank you! After reading a bit I bought Devacurl but I think I would like to try Jessicurl, too.

Ellie
    I washed my hair with a really bad sulfate shampoo about three times to strip the cones but I have no OK conditioner so I did not condition at all. I then used Kenra spray gel and Herbal ess. spray gel. I did a no no and blow dried my hair on low with no diffuser because I don't own one yet...

The top of my hair is straight and it looks pretty bad but that may have to do with my home done too short hair cut.

http://public.fotki.com/elliemeenk/my-hair-with-no-cones/

What can I do to boost the curl?

Ellie
  • HeatherDawnHeatherDawn Posts: 300Registered Users
    I sound like a broken record around here lately, but I highly recommend oils! Jojaba is your best bet starting out because it is lighter and less likely to leave you greasy (we all put too much on the first time!). Aloe is also a great mousturizer if you get pure aloe. Many contain alcohol that will dry you out instead of help you. Diffusers are a MUST if you need to dry your hair. Air drying is always preferred though. Keep it up! You'll be wavy in no time! :happy2:
    HeatherDawn
    2C/3A
  • keikokkeikok Banned Posts: 585Banned Users
    I think it looks fine right now. Very shiny and very wavy! I would just cut down on the blow drying.
    Keiko

my fotki-its a work in progress
    http://public.fotki.com/keikok/
    password:curly
    Thank you! I actually don't mind too much how it looks but I know it is not healthy and I think it could be curlier. It is much curlier when it is wet.

My problem with blow drying is that my hair takes hours and hours to dry. And I live on the Canadian border so it is cold here.

I am going to try diffusing. I also want to grow it :)
    I just wanted to tell Heatherdawn that I got really good second day hair by mixing equal parts jojoba oil, one conditioner and angel gel. I sprayed my hair a tiny bit with water and scrunched the mixture in. My husband thinks I got a perm! It feels fabulous. Thank you!!

Ellie
  • HeatherDawnHeatherDawn Posts: 300Registered Users
    That is GREAT! :cheers: I have my own mix of second day spray: warm water, conditioner, jojaba oil and gel. Makes a world of difference for my second day!

Congrats! I can't wait to see pictures!
    HeatherDawn
    2C/3A
    I will try and post pictures next week. I love jojoba oil! Thank you for your help!

Ellie
  • RoRo Posts: 150Registered Users
    That is GREAT! :cheers: I have my own mix of second day spray: warm water, conditioner, jojaba oil and gel. Makes a world of difference for my second day!

Congrats! I can't wait to see pictures!

What amounts are you using of these ingredients?? And when you say warm water, does it mean you're mixing fresh when needed??

3A (I think)

Loving my curls after all these years -- but still trying to figure out what works for me...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file