HE Set Me Up vs. Body Envy?

mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Posts: 1,271Registered Users Curl Novice
What's the difference between these two gels? Both bottles indicate "max" hold, but for some reason it looks like not as many people like the SMU as much as BE? I have SMU right now and I'm getting pretty good results over CK -- soft, defined, shiny curls after scrunching out crunch. My hair's really short and layered, but thick, so if BE really does give more volume I think I'm going to stick with the SMU.

Comments

• keikokkeikok Banned Posts: 585Banned Users
    Honestly in terms of SMU I would only get the spray, I dont know anything about the gel. Set me up is supposed to be for finishing and it really does hold everything in place when your hair is all dry, but the gel...I think totally twisted would be okay (although that one might not be CG or maybe its none of your frizzness thats not CG). Body Envy is fine and works really well.
    Keiko

my fotki-its a work in progress
    http://public.fotki.com/keikok/
    password:curly
  • mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Posts: 1,271Registered Users Curl Novice
    Supposed to be used for finishing touches? Oops. I'm using a glob on wet hair. I'm getting good results, though. Oh well.
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    Supposed to be used for finishing touches? Oops. I'm using a glob on wet hair. I'm getting good results, though. Oh well.

I've never heard of it only being for finishing touches. :scratch: The way you're using it is just fine and if you're getting good results, that's the name of the game, right? :wink:
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • keikokkeikok Banned Posts: 585Banned Users
    ummm...I said the spray was for finishing. You wouldnt use hairspray on soaking wet hair, would you?
    Keiko

my fotki-its a work in progress
    http://public.fotki.com/keikok/
    password:curly
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Many people use spray gel on soaking wet hair. Nothing wrong with that if it works.

I find SMU and BE gels to be the same in my hair, although I realize many people prefer one of the other. They are my favorites for humid summer weather. I switch to a softer hold once the humidity dies down.
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    I use the SMU spray gel as a finisher, I gotta have something hold my curls all day.
    2b/3a.
  • mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Posts: 1,271Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm getting pretty good second-day hair with the SMU gel's strong hold, although some areas kind of give up halfway through the second day. That might be because I'm touching my hair all day, though. :x SO SOFT.

I think I would have originally gotten the BE, had my local drug store actually carried it instead of the SMU. Maybe I'll try the BE once I'm done with this tube. They both smell so good. :D
  • bbbeccabbbecca Banned Posts: 232Banned Users
    I use the SMU spray gel as a finisher, I gotta have something hold my curls all day.

same here, I've never known anyone who put it in their hair when its wet. I usually put some of my jojoba mix in and let it air dry and then spray in some HE SMU.
    "'You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve,' said Aslan.'"
    http://public.fotki.com/bbecca/hair-pics/
    pw-curls
    Koukla72 wrote: »
    when you claim in your nomination speech to the families of special needs children, "I pledge to you that if we are elected, you will have a friend and advocate in the White House" after having reduced funding for special needs education by 62%
    http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/sliming_palin.html
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    I prefer the SMU, but honestly, now that the humidity is going away, body envy would probably work just as good.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • TwistedChickTwistedChick Posts: 58Registered Users
    I prefer the Body Envy over Set Me Up, because SMU seems to give me more crunch that doesn't scrunch out. I get softer curls with BE.

I occasionally use the SMU spray gel to help control my surface frizz after diffusing (so it's still partially wet). It's not a hairspray though, IMO. It's a spray gel, and therefore I don't see why you couldn't use it on totally wet hair. It would just take more of it (vs. regular gel) to get enough hold, I think. Whatever works, go for it, I say.

Unfortunately, despite how much I love the way BE works on my curls, I think I have to quit using it. I think I'm allergic (or sensitive) to something in it, because it makes my scalp itch like crazy. :(

2c (Fia) with some 3a in the middle layer
  • DarbyDarby Posts: 1,025Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm using the SMU gel on wet hair. I scrunch it in well and then diffuse til almost dry, turn head upside down and really scrunch up to scalp. Turn head right side up and scrunch a bit more and finish diffusing. I get great curl formation that lasts all day.
    PW:curlyhaired

Natural hair color - dark brunette
    Fine, thinish hair/3a, 3b

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file